Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How often can "a poor runner or doesn't run well/I don't know whats wrong with the loco" be put down to lack of maintenance on the part of the owner?

7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

When we are prepared to pay £200 for a basic DC 0-6-0 like our European friends do, perhaps our RTR manufacturers will improve things a bit, but it will take a long time to shift our long-standing traditions and prejudices.

Current economic conditions are far from favourable for this to happen as it probably also needs an increase in the average modeller's disposable income. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Not a recent trend, either.  Back in the 60s and 70s there was a move among British RTR modellers to European layouts exactly because our home grown stuff was so poor;

This was one reason that I bought second hand continental mechanisms as an impoverished student, back in the day.

The bodies were going to be binned anyway, given my interests.

I would sooner have one sweet running reliable mechanism than three poor ones.

A quick straw poll of the loco fleet (available here if anyone really is so interested) reveals no Bristish mechanims to the best of my recollection.

Having said that there were/are some right dogs from certain continental manufacturers.

Ian T

I dont want to start a debate about how much we pay for our british outline models compared with european HO ,but the price of a Bachmann class 47 is now over the 200 pound mark,i dont think these sort of prices are cheap,so i dont think it is much to ask for a little bit of thought about simple tasks like oiling to be thought about in the design stage of these models ,despite this i am very happy with the way most of my british out line models perform with very little maintenance ,the roco v90 model i spoke about that is very well designed, is not an expensive model ,it is a roco start model that i payed about 50 pound brand new!