RMweb

D1832A Vacuum Braked

Aire Head

I am still currently looking for numbers from Vacuum braked LMS D1832A vans. I managed to source a couple however I am looking for more. Does anyone have an images of vacuum brakes D1832A vans showing the number? Any livery is fine it's the number I particularly want.

According to  "The Acquired wagon Vol 4"  202840/42/53/59/80, 202942/44 and loads of others in the M2xxxxx series

450 were fitted, 2,500 were unfitted and 166 were thro' piped. Now I am doing a piped one but I can't find a pic.

So were piped vans fitted with a tie bar and either side brakes or (as I think) no tie bar and one side brakes?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

If eight-shoe LMS brake gear, no tiebars ....... if a BR four-shoe conversion they'll have tiebars. 

Are you replying to the query regarding piped vans? If so why would a vehicle that is only piped ie. only working brakes on that actual vehicle are handbrakes have eight-shoe brake gear?      I thought  only fully fitted vehicles had this. BR conversions surely only refer to fitted vehicles. 

Andrew  

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

If eight-shoe LMS brake gear, no tiebars ....... if a BR four-shoe conversion they'll have tiebars. 

Vacuum Braked D1832As had 4 shoe brakes on push rods not 8 show clasps.

They were on a 9ft wheelbase aswell so they weren't converted by BR and therefore don't appear to have acquired tiebars either.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Vacuum Braked D1832As had 4 shoe brakes on push rods not 8 show clasps.

They were on a 9ft wheelbase aswell so they weren't converted by BR and therefore don't appear to have acquired tiebars either.

D1832A M 215380 (P44 "The Acquired wagon Vol 4") had tie bars. Also 9ft w/b D1676 M 204565 (p36) this wagon is claimed to be piped and not fitted. However (murky photo) I think it is a fitted example? Other examples of 9ft fitted vans in the book have no tie bars. Over  on https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ most fitted 9ft w/b wagons have tie bars however these may be late additions as the vans have other mods (adapted to other usage).

• Informative/Useful 1