Hornby HST TTS motor issue

125_driver

I have a HST TTS power car with running issues. I have taken it apart and narrowed it down (I think) to the actual motor. When i attempt to turn the shafts they do turn but every couple of seconds I come up against resistance and I am guessing this is what is causing the loco to run extremely poorly . My question is, does this sound like a fault or do all motors not spin freely when "hand turned", and if its a fault, is it fixable or is it a case of a new motor....? I hope I've explained what I'm getting at accurately enough! Thanks....

Edited by 125_driver

Sorry to hear this. I don’t know what kind of motor it is, but sounds like it could be an issue with the commutator - if it gets damaged and is no longer smooth it can give resistance every turn when the brushes come into contact with the damaged section. Do you get resistance at the same point in every revolution of the motor armature? That’s my guess with my limited electrical knowledge. Trouble is most modern motors are sealed so the inner workings are not accessible….

5 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

Sorry to hear this. I don’t know what kind of motor it is, but sounds like it could be an issue with the commutator - if it gets damaged and is no longer smooth it can give resistance every turn when the brushes come into contact with the damaged section. Do you get resistance at the same point in every revolution of the motor armature? That’s my guess with my limited electrical knowledge. Trouble is most modern motors are sealed so the inner workings are not accessible….

Yes what you describe sounds pretty much spot on. I'm guessing its probably a write off then unless there is anyone / anywhere that repairs motors? It hasn't got particularly high "engine hours" either so seems a waste to have to replace with a brand new one!

3 hours ago, 125_driver said:

Yes what you describe sounds pretty much spot on. I'm guessing its probably a write off then unless there is anyone / anywhere that repairs motors? It hasn't got particularly high "engine hours" either so seems a waste to have to replace with a brand new one!

I'm not certain exactly what your motor is. But my understanding is that Hornby have been using sealed can motors for some years, and you can't get inside to service them. If the motor fails, you have to replace it with a new one. It's a "swap out the whole component and replace" approach

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

I'm not certain exactly what your motor is. But my understanding is that Hornby have been using sealed can motors for some years, and you can't get inside to service them. If the motor fails, you have to replace it with a new one. It's a "swap out the whole component and replace" approach

Typical, said motor (x9863)  seems to be out of stock everywhere after a quick web search and ebay check. Will have to contact Hornby i think . Thanks for the responses.

Edited by 125_driver
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I was wondering if anyone had any further ideas on this, or what others have done in this situation? I have three 2009/2010/2011 era HSTs (Grand Central, First gen Cross Country, and East Coast) all with knackered motors which ideally need replacing. It is obvious that there is no chance at all of getting hold of the replacement motor (X9863) these days. I am looking at other potential motors that can be retrofitted with as little faff as possible, or any other suggestions. What have others done in this situation?

Huge thanks in advance for any ideas. I am somewhat struggling as you can tell! Cheers

New modellers shop show them on order but if you could compare motor body length there are several double ended motor types that look as if they may suit retro-fit with a bit of swapping of associated shaft gubbins and bracket Ray.

I agree with @RAF96 - Hornby no longer used standardised part numbers across different models so the first trick is after working out the motor dimensions see if another Hornby model uses the same type of motor and spares are available. You may be lucky and find a direct drop-in or instead find that another model has the same motor but maybe with a different worm or bracket which can be swapped.

Have you tried contacting Hornby customer services to see if they are able to help? They may have spares from returned models? Whenever I have had dealings with them in the past, they have generally been very willing to try to help, and they’ve supplied me with obsolete spares by this method previously - supplied and fitted them free of charge in most cases.

• RMweb Premium
On 08/09/2023 at 10:09, IslandLine said:

I was wondering if anyone had any further ideas on this, or what others have done in this situation? I have three 2009/2010/2011 era HSTs (Grand Central, First gen Cross Country, and East Coast) all with knackered motors which ideally need replacing. It is obvious that there is no chance at all of getting hold of the replacement motor (X9863) these days. I am looking at other potential motors that can be retrofitted with as little faff as possible, or any other suggestions. What have others done in this situation?

Huge thanks in advance for any ideas. I am somewhat struggling as you can tell! Cheers

Hi - I was also waiting on X9863 and new modellers shop had them in briefly and I managed to get one 2 months back. So it does look like they are still coming through occasionally. Might be worth giving them a poke and seeing if they are expecting stock again.