Twisted wire trees

Fang

Hi

We have started making some twisted wire trees and have been using the tree trunk filler from Model Scenery Supplies with good results.  However as we are creating a forest, the little pots do not go far.  Does anyone know what the stuff is (it smells familiar but can't work out what it is!) or an alternative product that does the same thing, that I can buy in a bigger container?

Many thanks 

On 12/02/2023 at 11:03, Fang said:

Hi

We have started making some twisted wire trees and have been using the tree trunk filler from Model Scenery Supplies with good results.  However as we are creating a forest, the little pots do not go far.  Does anyone know what the stuff is (it smells familiar but can't work out what it is!) or an alternative product that does the same thing, that I can buy in a bigger container?

Many thanks 

I've seen people get good results with air dry clay or even grout.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am using this stuff. It seems to work, but not knowing how big a pot the MSS stuff is, I can't compare costs. As I am mostly making pines, I am using dowel for the trunk and only using it for bark effect. Also have a pot of this on order, but it is taking an eternity to arrive from to US, but at least with Amazon, the delivery is free.. It is what was recommended in the tutorial on making pines.

EDIT: The Golden Fiber Paste has disappeared from Amazon and I have had a refund. But I have found some on ebay.

Edited by JZ

• RMweb Gold
On 14/02/2023 at 11:50, HonestTom said:

I've seen people get good results with air dry clay or even grout.

When I made some tree many years ago, I used DAS clay. Easy to work with and one block will go a long way.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 57xx said:

When I made some tree many years ago, I used DAS clay. Easy to work with and one block will go a long way.

And currently only £4.00 per kg from The Works (or mebbe less) 

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/modelling-clay/das-1kg-white-modelling-clay/8000144074105.html?CAWELAID=720011340002611783&gclid=CjwKCAiAmJGgBhAZEiwA1JZoljXmp1QQuttsCoAAM3VFLdVyHxVRy4bx-Bt_Seitcpjf3YeB3tP7DRoCTIgQAvD_BwE

Great Stuff. Moisten ,reseal in cling film when you've finished and keep in a plaggy marge tub ( or similar. Lasts for ages.

Hope this helps, Rich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1