RMweb

Peco points or Tortoise?

Hi all, 

Need some advice please. I'm about to start an exhibition layout using baseboards I already built for a layout which never materialised. Seems a shame to waste them.

I'd like to use slow action Tortoise points but the framework on these boards is only 2 x 1 timber and I think the Tortoise motors will be in danger of getting damaged in transit. I was originally considering Peco points but must admit I do prefer slow action ones without the 'clunk' of solenoid ones.

I imagine a lot of the older exhibition layouts have solenoid motors and it is too much of a faff to change them.

Any thoughts will be most welcome.

50 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

How many boards?  To make the boards deeper you could add new sides from say 6" x 1/4" ply.  This would protect the tortoises and add rigidity.  You could even profile the top edges above the boards.

Four boards, total 18ft. Great idea. My only concern is that I've bought metal trestle tables to sit boards on which are wider than the 2ft width and so sides would perhaps buckle eventually. I suppose I could brace those with 2 x 1 underneath. Should work, yeah?

• RMweb Gold

Anything is better than solenoids for all sorts of reasons. Tortoise motors are only servos with inbuilt electronics under an expensive price tag.  You could just use ordinary sg90 servos which are much more cost effective and are small enough to fit within your basebosrd framing.  If you mount them flat then they are no more than 25mm deep. 

Edited by ikcdab
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hoffers said:

Four boards, total 18ft. Great idea. My only concern is that I've bought metal trestle tables to sit boards on which are wider than the 2ft width and so sides would perhaps buckle eventually. I suppose I could brace those with 2 x 1 underneath. Should work, yeah?

Probably only need to vertically brace the corners.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Cobalts do a 90 degree adapter - an option for you...

Chris H

Tortoise also has a right angle adapter. There’s nothing wrong with solenoids, I use either Tortoise or Peco PL10/10E often. PL11’s side mounted can be adapted too, using a wire in tube method, and if you want to switch frog polarity you will need to work your own solution. I’ve tried Gaugemaster solenoids but not had much success  with them due to failures

Edited by PMP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

Cobalts do a 90 degree adapter - an option for you...

Chris H

Have used this set up, works really well, I also think it makes them easier to set up and wire, also use the Cobalt levers, which have a nice feel to them

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, PMP said:

Tortoise also has a right angle adapter. There’s nothing wrong with solenoids, I use either Tortoise or Peco PL10/10E often. PL11’s side mounted can be adapted too, using a wire in tube method, and if you want to switch frog polarity you will need to work your own solution. I’ve tried Gaugemaster solenoids but not had much success  with them due to failures

I've also used Peco solenoids but had an increasing number of failures with the PL13 polarity switch. The PL15 seems more robust although I've only used a few so far.

Seep/GM were less reliable particularly for polarity switching.

Chris H