Hornby R2638X DCC fitted Stanier 4MT #42468

barrowroad

I have just converted the above model to P4.  Before doing so I tested it with DC and it ran very well. The model was described as DCC fitted but the decoder, which I presume is a Hornby produce did not work.  Using JMRI Decoder Pro the identity of the decoder showed as #522 - decoder manufacturer not found.  An internet search suggests this means the decoder is faulty.

I fitted a DCC Concepts Zen Black V12 decoder with 8pin harness and set the address as 68 as required by a customer. The model performed well using Decoder Pro.

However when placed on my layout which uses NCE equipment the model would not go.  A retest on Decoder Pro and it worked fine again.

I have taken the model to a friends layout today which uses NCE equipment and the model does not work.

Has anyone any suggestions.  It works using JMRI Decoder Pro but does not work using NCE equipment.

I have carried out a large number P4 conversions and fitted decoders. I always programme the decoder address using Decoder Pro but this is the first model that will not work on my NCE equipped layout.

NCE are a bit odd in the way they handle addresses.  For instance, 1 is, I think, regarded as a 2 digit address but 0001 is a 4 digit address*.  So if you select address 68 you should try it as 0068, 068 and 68

* It's something like this but I can't remember the exact details.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It's a fairly common gotcha, Decoder pro set a four digit address 0068 which some controllers will recognize as 68 and others, like the Powercab/Pro don't.

When you set an address on the Powercab it specifically asks if you want to activate the two digit (or four depending on which screen you are on)  They are effectively different addresses.

Best to set the address on the controller that will be used to operate the loco, or use a four digit one 😉

When I am fitting decoders I generally leave them at the factory "03" unless specifically requested by the owner.