New Hornby 9F

Killybegs

On the Hornby Show, that I was watching last night, great show was made of getting all the wheels the same distance apart. This morning I received an email from Hattons re pre-ordering and there was the 9F still with the spacing of the wheels incorrect. I assume they are using out of date artwork. If so that's not very clever.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

On the Hornby Show, that I was watching last night, great show was made of getting all the wheels the same distance apart. This morning I received an email from Hattons re pre-ordering and there was the 9F still with the spacing of the wheels incorrect. I assume they are using out of date artwork. If so that's not very clever.

The model does have the correct spacing. The images in the catalogue and online show the CG images created way back. Standard practice 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

And the barn door gap between loco and tender which the current design/part renders impossible to shorten other than by performing surgery to the link ?  Yes,Hornby do know about it and a fix replacement part is promised ( My conversation at GETS last October with design team & SK ) but the rest is silence. Ironic after the driving wheel theatre performance staged for  this week’s programme. Still it was filmed a while back,etc.,etc……

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/02/2023 at 10:25, Ian Hargrave said:

And the barn door gap between loco and tender which the current design/part renders impossible to shorten other than by performing surgery to the link ?  Yes,Hornby do know about it and a fix replacement part is promised ( My conversation at GETS last October with design team & SK ) but the rest is silence. Ironic after the driving wheel theatre performance staged for  this week’s programme. Still it was filmed a while back,etc.,etc……

Did you ask why they don't fit a kinematic coupling rather than drawbar?  Various designs of which have been around several decades. This K class Trix dates from 2001

(foto fitz osterthun)

37059classeK_10.jpg

59~M37059.jpg

Edited by maico
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, maico said:

Did you ask why they don't fit a kinematic coupling rather than drawbar?  Various designs of which have been around several decades. This K class Trix dates from 2001

(foto fitz osterthun)

37059classeK_10.jpg

59~M37059.jpg

You are quite correct. HO releases have shown the way to do it for many years. Hornby’s idea of tender coupling is way outdated .

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

You are quite correct. HO releases have shown the way to do it for many years. Hornby’s idea of tender coupling is way outdated .

From memory my 1995 ish Bachmann OO N class was my first loco with this type of tender coupling.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I still have problems in centring that damned bar correctly onto the spigot,the latest being yesterday with a V2 ( not the latest iteration,it has to be said). At least Hornby’s bar avoids that with screws at both ends.Generally though it’s an issue that does need addressing. We surely can do better,with some thought put into a closer,practical design.

• Agree 2

On 24/02/2023 at 10:25, Ian Hargrave said:

On my 9F I was able to use the shorter drawbar by removing the bar completely and flipping it fully, the way around it was the end with the two holes couldn't be positioned properly.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1