RMweb

What is the origin of this signal at Cambridge in 1961 please?

Rail-Online

The station area was resignalled (don't ask me the details) way back in the 20s?) using power operated LQs.These lasted until colourlights in a much later resignalling. I always thought the ones you posted were part of that scheme? There were also, if I remember correctly, some similar single post multiple arm shunt signals opposite the cattle market (the"coal yard")?

A better look at the arms…

87D71910-A1C5-47B7-B921-320A404C5727.jpeg.8931f12184d9099a278571b136c8b117.jpeg

Funnily enough I’m just commissioning one of the 110v D.C. signal machines. The team will be working on it again tomorrow so I should be able to post a video of the motor in action. It’s on a slotted co-actor that requires quite a lot of weight to pull two arms off. Equally so it needs a lot of weight to pull the slot back. Not a problem from a lever but there are not many signal machines that will happily pull off 50lbs. 

• Like 7

The signal and point machines were operated from an interlocked drawslide frame. Here is one on test. I push the slide to the check position. I then apply 110v DC and a solenoid pulls the slide back into the frame..

Normally the 110v DC for this action comes from the signal machine itself via detection contacts to prove it has returned to 'on'.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Rail-Online said:

Hi,

I thought this was rather an unusual signal, with LQ GER(?) arms yet a tubular post.  It was just south of Cambridge Stn, with the former LNWR line going off behind it.

Is it motor worked as well?

Cheers Tony

signal.jpg

Cambridge South 118 and 119 signals

Cambridge South

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/02/2023 at 12:13, Rail-Online said:

Hi,

I thought this was rather an unusual signal, with LQ GER(?) arms yet a tubular post.  It was just south of Cambridge Stn, with the former LNWR line going off behind it.

Is it motor worked as well?

Cheers Tony

signal.jpg

Those Signal motors are lovely bits of kit, but not for those with no muscles!

I've got a selection of bits and pieces of them, enough to make two machines, one 10v the other 110v, both DC. The casing is cast iron, and is impossible to lift on your own, even when empty! The three post mounts I have are for square section posts sadly, as ideally I'd like to put one on a tubular doll, but there are always ways round it.

Interestingly they were designed to be able to be mounted at the top of the post with the arm directly on the end of the drive spindle, although I have no idea how you would get the thing up there! 

Inside they are lovely, lots of gears, all nicely made, and some good sized contacts. I really must get back to finishing off putting them back together!

Andy G

• Like 3

2 hours ago, uax6 said:

Those Signal motors are lovely bits of kit, but not for those with no muscles!

I've got a selection of bits and pieces of them, enough to make two machines, one 10v the other 110v, both DC. The casing is cast iron, and is impossible to lift on your own, even when empty! The three post mounts I have are for square section posts sadly, as ideally I'd like to put one on a tubular doll, but there are always ways round it.

Interestingly they were designed to be able to be mounted at the top of the post with the arm directly on the end of the drive spindle, although I have no idea how you would get the thing up there! 

Inside they are lovely, lots of gears, all nicely made, and some good sized contacts. I really must get back to finishing off putting them back together!

Andy G

I'll post a video of the motor in action in due course. As I mentioned upthread this is possibly the only motor capable of lifting 50lbs on the weightbar pulled from the hole nearest the fulcrum.

On 24/02/2023 at 18:19, LNERGE said:

CN for completeness..

Cambridge North

Now, to my eyes, there's something wrong with the Cambridge North diagram. Down at the bottom, the lower two lines are down goods and down reception.

But where's the up goods? It should between those two mentioned. And the exit from the down yard to the down goods was a crossover, not as shown leading into what was the up goods.

excerpt.png

Edited by dave55uk

• 2 weeks later...