iTrain unhelpfully reporting Route not possible from this position

Mick Rogers

I’m looking at options for adding automation to my Z21 controlled OO gauge layout.

I have already tried and very quickly discounted JMRI as it’s an absolute nightmare as far as user friendliness is concerned.

A few days ago I obtained a trial licence for iTrain and have viewed most of a series of instructional videos available on YouTube following which I have created a switchboard that describes my layout.  I should state that I’m currently using iTrain in offline mode as I have yet to come to a decision regarding which feedback sensors that I will be installing.

Having got the layout configured in the switchboard, I thought that I’d try to test the train route facility.   I have configured two such routes.  The first is a fairly simple one to move a loco from one siding to another in my engine shed via two intermediate points.   This appears to be acceptable to the software.

The second route that I have configured is a bit more complex as it is intended to run a train all the way around the layout, starting and ending in a fiddleyard road with a stop in the passenger station on the other side of the round and round layout.  When I drag the train to the starting block, that block changes colour to a light brown, but nothing else happens to mark any other block or point for use by that train.   Starting the train results in the spectacularly unhelpful “Route not possible from this position” error, with no other explanation as to why the computer says “No”.

As far as I can see from their properties, the train, blocks and points that form part of this second train route are all configured correctly, as in basically the same as those in the simple route.

Is there any way in which I can find out exactly why the software is saying “No” to the second route?  The Diagnosis option on the View tab either doesn’t bother with looking at train routes or can see nothing wrong.

I will be raising the above issue on the iTrain support forum as soon as its administrator approves my registration.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mick

The iTrain forum is indeed the place to rise this, that's where you will find the expertise, including of course the chap who wrote the code.  It is pretty coomprehensive and reliable software so it is a safe bet that if it isn't doing what you want, you have either made some error in defining the layout or misunderstood what some aspect of the software actually does; problems are nearly always user error.

While you are waiting for registration, I suggest you run its built-in checker (from the menu bar, View ->diagnosis) and fix any errors that may be reported.  Make sure you attach your .tcdz file on your posting there, as that will enable others to test the layout as you have defined it and make suitable suggestions as to what changes you should make.

The message can be produced from several sources though generally it is because the train (or part of it is facing the wrong way or the train is not within the route.

as has been said you need to post this question on the iTrain forum where I will give you a more definitive answer. When you post the question ensure that you 

a) include the TCDZ file of the layout.

b) the name of the train with the problem

c) the route it has been assinged

d) the block the train is in when the issue occurs and direction the train is facing.

2 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

The message can be produced from several sources though generally it is because the train (or part of it is facing the wrong way or the train is not within the route.

as has been said you need to post this question on the iTrain forum where I will give you a more definitive answer. When you post the question ensure that you 

a) include the TCDZ file of the layout.

b) the name of the train with the problem

c) the route it has been assinged

d) the block the train is in when the issue occurs and direction the train is facing.

Hi Iain,

thanks for the offer of help.

I have just logged on to the forum for the first time, with user name Grescorn, and have opened a new topic in the forum’s support/automatic control thread with the same title as this thread and have also successfully updated it with a copy of my layout’ .tcdz file FYI.

Cheers,

Mick