Hunt Couplings

rekoboy

At the Glasgow show I bought a trial pack of Hunt magnetic couplings for the TT 1:120 NEM pockets from Westhill. The pack contains 10 short, 10 medium and 10 long couplings which possess astonishingly powerful mini-magnets. I have been experimenting with them on a pair of Piko Reichsbahn Reko coaches, and I have to say that I am very impressed. As my layout includes some R310mm curves I was a little cautious about employing the short couplings - but found that two medium length couplings or one short and one long coupling paired made a very prototypical impression - and there were no derailments, no buffer-locking, no unwanted uncoupling, no matter whether the coaches were pulled or propelled. The first photo shows the situation with the original Piko/BTTB/Tillig couplings, then a trial with long Hunts (which leave a similar gap!) and finally the situation with two medium (or one long plus one short) Hunts. The next test will be on 3-axle Rekos by Kühn.

2053661900_PikoRekoOriginal.jpg.ce5289334a4dfb80154592773cb7f708.jpg1211500663_PikoHunt2xlang.jpg.fc44ec8ff4963419178f50c276a593d7.jpg1551861642_PikoHunt1mallang1malkurz.jpg.e154dac910ce4a0b8a8f2a1b87b957bf.jpg1551861642_PikoHunt1mallang1malkurz.jpg.e154dac910ce4a0b8a8f2a1b87b957bf.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

The latest experiment with Hunt couplings - a pair of Tillig 4-wheel carriages. The short Hunt couplings had the buffers almost touching, looked fabulous, but were not suitable for 310mm radius curves. The medium length couplings look and work fine.

IMG_20230318_085942_800.jpg

• Like 3

On 18/03/2023 at 09:05, rekoboy said:

The latest experiment with Hunt couplings - a pair of Tillig 4-wheel carriages. The short Hunt couplings had the buffers almost touching, looked fabulous, but were not suitable for 310mm radius curves. The medium length couplings look and work fine.

IMG_20230318_085942_800.jpg

If your coaches always run in the same rake have you tried a short and a medium length together?

The disadvantage would be that you then need to mark the underside of each coach to show which end is which for when taken off the track...

Les

who had problems with standard plus short pairs of couplings on Mr Simon's 8-car class 101 multiple unit in N.

• Like 1

@Les1952 - I have tried various combinations of Hunt couplings - and the best effect with my layout which includes R310mm curves on the spiral seems to be the combination of 2 medium couplings which give an acceptable gap between vehicles and no buffer-locking.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I am so glad I found this, I recently bought 3 Pullmans from the Flying Scotsman set off Ebay and one was missing a Hornby Coupling. My thoughts were to go for some Hunt Couplings to use inside sets of stock, the outside being still Hornby for uncoupling and joining sets of stock. My plan is to do Wakefield Westgate in Steam Days and I will be having 2-3 coach Bradford portions joining/splitting to the Leeds portion at Westgate. Current stock is working pretty well for this.

The great reveal of your thread was to use long and shorter couplings to get a similar coupling length. I am using R2 as a minimum and was wondering which length of Hunt Couplings to go for, but it looks like the 15 pairs pack for varying lengths should be suitable to experiment with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/01/2024 at 09:49, Flatlandia said:

Recently bought some for Hornby coaches but dont fit / too long for socket. Advised to cut the coupling shorter to fit as some Hornby sockets not to standard.

There are three different lengths.  Alternatively try the N-gauge Hunt couplings, where the pocket is slightly smaller.  Use a little Pritt adhesive to make sure they don't pull out, or squeeze the jaws of the pocket slightly with small pliers.

If satisfactory and to be a permanent addition you could then use a small drop of a stronger adhesive.  I do this on some stock with Easi-shunts which I use for stock that is shunted in the goods yard.

Les

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

I have had half an eye on this thread with the idea of using hunt couplings for my 313 units. I had originally intended to gut an ICE3... but I am going to have trouble getting the ICE3 kinematic couplings to fit, (and, it turns out, I quite like the ICE3 and might want to keep it intact.)

Would these be the right sockets for the hunt TT120 couplings? https://westhillwagonworks.com/oo-9/34-ntt009-narrow-gauge-nem-355-sockets-pack-of-16.html 

Or, alternatively, what about the symoba 110/111 combination kinematic couplings. Would these provide tighter coupling?

https://www.petersspares.com/p/103654-dcc-supplies-symoba-110-nem-362-short-pocket-pk2

https://www.petersspares.com/p/103642-dcc-supplies-symoba-111-nem-conversion-sliders-kinematic-coupling-pk2

I'm also assuming the Hornby TT8040s use the same socket?

On 02/03/2023 at 11:42, natterjack said:

Out of curiosity, I wonder how these perform going over a hump such the crest of a slope?

I use them on my N-gauge Bregenbach im Schwarzwald which has 1 in 25 gradients (the prototype is 1 in 17) and has very tight curves.  They were bought to eliminate breakaways that occur at the top of the slopes with Rapido couplings.  In that respect the Hunt coupling has been 100% successful.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos as usual
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1