Coping strategies for layouts that are too deep front to back ?

InTheTrainShed

• RMweb Gold

If you have decided you really must build a layout that is too deep front to back to be able to reach to the back of it ( I am thinking just over 3 feet ) and that the layout was screwed to the wall and you couldn't build in any holes to pop up from underneath how would you manage that problem when something derailed or you were building scenery etc ?

I am sure this has been done many times before and that some of you will have come up with clever ideas of how to reach the unreachable areas by human hand  ?  No cheating with grabbers or anything like that.

• RMweb Premium

How about a handrail sticking out from the wall above the layout to grab hold of and steady yourself, while dealing with the problem using your other hand? Combined with a low footstool for standing on, you could probably reach quite a distance. I've not used it myself, mind.

This doesn't help with building scenery, which looks to be a far harder problem to deal with. You could, I suppose, begin with the backscene and work forwards, but that would require a far greater level of planning than I am ever capable of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Small footstool can increase the angle of reach?

Complicated way would be one of those Ally angle style Ladders for decorating (or part of one), that make all sorts of shapes and a sturdy, horizontal Beam fixed along the back of said layout, fixed to a Wall or on Loft Trusses (sorry about using that word), on which to rest the top, horizontalish fold of the ladder over the layout. I wouldn't recommend that, or lying on it to work either. 

Better to plan well and never exceed 3' 'reach, without hatches/access holes.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Might be an idea to have a 6" vertical perspex sheet all along the front of the layout.
Otherwise, too easy to knock over any stock/scenery at the front while leaning over to reach the back.
Also helps with preventing stock falling on the floor following a derailment.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Parts of my (under construction) layout are 4 feet wide. Rescue of errant vehicles is by standing on a box, there may one day be a dado at the top of the backscene to provide a handhold/rest. Scenery construction and track laying is done by bringing the relevant boards into the house and commandeering  the dining table :-)

• Like 1