Didcot 4 Castles Day

daniel11

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

hi Ron,

you got me and my daughter in that (see her pics above), i’m wearing the brown bag, my little ones got the hat with ears !

I think we spoke briefly, as there was a small army up at your position, but migrated to the other end when the 800 popped up to spoil the party but left just in time.

Several video makers on YouTube like trying to spot themselves on other people's videos at gala days and when special trains come through.  I often get other folk telling me that they've seen themselves on my videos and of course, I've spotted myself from time to time on other people's films.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, 45669 said:

Several video makers on YouTube like trying to spot themselves on other people's videos at gala days and when special trains come through.  I often get other folk telling me that they've seen themselves on my videos and of course, I've spotted myself from time to time on other people's films.

You got my better side and I wasnt caught picking my nose, so all good.

9 hours ago, didcot said:

It goes to show that enthusiast days at Didcot do work. My man tells me 2000 tickets were sold, plus those coming in on the rail tour.

a few years ago on one of the GWS’ membership consultations, I did say that I thought they should do more with Tyseley, an extension of the Shakespeare Express to Oxford with the loco being turned and serviced at Didcot could be special.  I thought there’d be something special about seeing a visiting loco arrive, be turned and serviced at a facility designed for that purpose.

Hopefully not a one-off and that this will be repeated.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Clearwater said:

a few years ago on one of the GWS’ membership consultations, I did say that I thought they should do more with Tyseley, an extension of the Shakespeare Express to Oxford with the loco being turned and serviced at Didcot could be special.  I thought there’d be something special about seeing a visiting loco arrive, be turned and serviced at a facility designed for that purpose.

Hopefully not a one-off and that this will be repeated.

Possibly quicker to fill the tender from the big tank than from a bowser*, too.

*hasn't the main operator of water bowsers ceased trading due to driver licensing issues?

• Agree 1

The first part of my footage shot at Didcot Loco Shed showing the four Castles lined up in a row is also now on YouTube if anyone would like to have a look:

Further episodes to follow as time allows.

TTFN,

Ron.

• Like 4

Part 2 of the footage shot at the Didcot Railway Centre featuring the four Castles line up (and 'Large Prairie' 2-6-2T 4144) can now be seen on YouTube:

Hope you like it.

TTFN,

Ron.

• Like 1

From Railadvent. Again, I thought this type of colloboration between the two leading GW mainline preservation centres made sense.  I suspect that at some point the two entities will merge.

David

Great Western area groups team up to develop heritage trains market (railadvent.co.uk):

image.png.250437a75c05b01576e1f6a92cd9056d.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

From Railadvent. Again, I thought this type of colloboration between the two leading GW mainline preservation centres made sense.  I suspect that at some point the two entities will merge.

David

Great Western area groups team up to develop heritage trains market (railadvent.co.uk):

image.png.250437a75c05b01576e1f6a92cd9056d.png

I don't think there's much chance of a "merger" between the three organisations which are very different and complimentary in their operations/objectives.

What might make sense and be commercially attractive would be for VT to run weekend trips from Birmingham to Oxford (one round trip per day) rather than or as an alternative to Stratford-upon-Avon (currently two trips).  On arrival at Oxford the train could continue either ECS or as a service train to Didcot for servicing and stabling.

• RMweb Gold

I like the reference to London in this. London has been starved of mainline steam for a few years now.

A London to Oxford Tourist operation would be a money spinner imo, given the popularity of Oxford in Tourists itinieries.

Sounds like a great opportunity for Tyseley to access new markets, Didcots customer database, a location for servicing and contract work

Whats in it for Didcot ?

4079/6023 for mainline would be nice, maybe SRM under a TYS umbrella ?

Birmingham to Didcot via Oxford to me has also seemed like a natural railtour route for a few years.

Of course some routes to the GWR southern heartlands maybe much easier from Didcot.

Edited by adb968008