Nick Dunhill’s workshop (scratch)building a SECR P class from the awful Alpha Graphics Kit.

My it's all so small.  Scratchbuilt con rods and redrilled modified crank webs with new journals.

52778069400_fb46b5deca_b.jpg

52777653961_0321582c53_b.jpg

52778102168_71cd568083_b.jpg

52778101993_409c11cb79_b.jpg

The crossheads were 'shrunk down' by cutting the castings up and reassembling.  The slide bars have a crank throw length of 10 mm, so new cranks were made with 5 mm centres and a 3 mm journal.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Here it is running on DCC.  The chuffs are a bit out of sync, and I usually get that, and a bit of 'tuning-in,' done before delivery.  This model however has a Zimo chip.  I usually use ECU decoders and Rob @ Modelyard in Leeds sorts out the firmware for me as part of his fee for the hardware. There's no one I know of in Yorks that can supply and tune Zimo decoders professionally, unless someone out there knows differently......

Edited by nickd
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 months later...

Done.  More pics when I get some decent ones taken.

52996159333_058b1d5a73_b.jpg

This loco is built from a Agenoria Kit with some upgrades and 3D prints to replace the rather tired castings in the kit.

52995087662_ec48fec407_b.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work there. the P class was the first whitemetal loco kit I built back in the 1960s, a Wills finecast kit that cost me many weeks of paper round money! I still have that loco in my collection, but it had the motor upgraded from a Triang XT60 many years ago. I've also worked on the real thing as a trainee fireman on the K&ESR a few years ago.

• Like 1