Caledonian Sleeper to be nationalised

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if this will lead to any changes in the motive power. The reliability of the 73/9s has not been stelar. Indeed on the Inverness and Aberdeen portions the train is often hauled by a 66 or 67 with the 73/9 acting as an ETHEL unit, rather than two 73/9s providing the power as was intended. 

• RMweb Gold

Theres nothing to replace anything.

92’s and 73/9’s are the only things compatible.

I did always wonder if perhaps the Class 88’s were ordered with CS in mind, and if they could step up… AC to Edinburgh and diesel onwards, compatible with a 68 if required.

Though they’d need conversion work.

other than that maybe a future class 93 or 99.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I did always wonder if perhaps the Class 88’s were ordered with CS in mind, and if they could step up… AC to Edinburgh and diesel onwards, compatible with a 68 if required.

GBRf have recently acquired the two 67s previously operated by Colas.  It has been said they will be used on the sleeper with a 73/9 providing hotel power for the trin.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I don't think the 88s have enough power to haul the sleepers north of Edinburgh. They only have 950HP on diesel. The 73/9s have 1600 which is considered enough for the Fort William sleeper, but not for the Inverness and Aberdeen. 

The Class 99 are supposed to have 2,100HP, so they might be good. Would probably be a cost saving for CS if they can use less engines. They currently use 6 92s for the electric legs and 5-6 diesels for North of Edinburgh. If the 99 is powerful enough in electric mode to haul a 16 car train, and in diesel mode to haul an 8 car train then I think that could be cut to 8 locos total, which is a saving of 1/3rd. 

On 03/03/2023 at 17:50, nightstar.train said:

The Class 99 are supposed to have 2,100HP, so they might be good. Would probably be a cost saving for CS if they can use less engines. They currently use 6 92s for the electric legs and 5-6 diesels for North of Edinburgh. If the 99 is powerful enough in electric mode to haul a 16 car train, and in diesel mode to haul an 8 car train then I think that could be cut to 8 locos total, which is a saving of 1/3rd. 

One tiny problem.  AIUI the 99s on order will not have ets so that kind of snookers that idea until such time as some are retrofitted or a batch with it fitted is ordered.

Edited by DY444
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Silly question perhaps, but if the Scottish Government nationalises, does it belong to Scotland, and paid for only by Scots taxpayers, or do the Sassenachs also pay for it so we can come back to England?  Not wanting to be political, just wondering what would happen, who would own it if the next First Minister is more successful than the present one in achieving her primary political aim?  We're a Jock Tamson's bairns.

3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Silly question perhaps, but if the Scottish Government nationalises, does it belong to Scotland, and paid for only by Scots taxpayers, or do the Sassenachs also pay for it 

The Caledonian Sleeper is a Scottish Government franchise so it is they who subsidise it already.

(Where the Scottish Government gets its money from is of course another thing, and probably best not discussed here.....)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

What's the story with the West Highland seated coach these days, and will this change anything about it?

On 05/03/2023 at 14:14, caradoc said:

The Caledonian Sleeper is a Scottish Government franchise so it is they who subsidise it already.

(Where the Scottish Government gets its money from is of course another thing, and probably best not discussed here.....)

Turns out it's quite easy to find out for the curious:

https://www.gov.scot/policies/government-finance/