Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

ROF Thorp Arch - Shunting Puzzle

WestyIII

Hi all

I am planning my first layout - last one was my Dads some 18 years ago. - All help welcome - I am very new at this. Here is where I am at so far:

Scale - OO

Size - 1200x600mm single Board

DCC - Yes

Era - Mid 40s- Early 60s ish

Type - End to End Shunting Puzzle

Inspiration - UK Munitions Factory 

Goal

An achievable working layout, with a bit of local history, with an integrated shunting puzzle. I am looking at basing this around the Royal Ordnance Factory Thorp Arch, specifically block 9, Magazines. 

I would love to get as prototypical as possible, but I am not striving for perfection, more inspired by the location. (Second post will have reference photos)

Layout

Full layout of ROF Thorp Arch, with the area in Red I'm interested in

1836131246_rofsmall1.jpg.119d09929bbb8b350027061a354d4039.jpg

Zoomed in

61535845_rofsmall.jpg.2df641a6a8d1cd8dc49163337e5501ba.jpg

Layout plan 1 using Hornby track.

Plan is to have 2 partial magazines, maybe a building or 2, a small siding and a head shunt. Road is in brown.  

layout3.jpg.06d471c418ff0873808d2c36c7b906c4.jpg

Locos

Ruston 48ds 

Hunslet 16" 060ST

These are what I have (and am happy to run). Any more accurate information is welcome, I know there was an Andrew Barclay Works on site, but I know no more! 

Rolling Stock

Gunpowder Vans

Plank Wagons

What else? I have no idea what would have been used in ROFs. 

So questions I have:

1. Is this layout plan/idea any good? 
  2. What small points would be most reliable Peco vs Hornby? 
  3. Does anyone have any ideas of rolling stock or locos used?
  4. I cannot find a reference photo of the track away from the concreted in hard standing? I presume its just ballasted.

• Like 3

I can't ID the wagons in your first pic or the loco, but the wagon in your second pic is a High goods (5 plank open) with a Type A container in it. I've seen military traffic in the longer Type B containers conveyed in 5 plank opens before for security reasons - you can't open the doors without taking it out of the  wagon ! Doing that in a Type A seems odd though as there should be more than enough room to open the end doors, but maybe someone missed the point.  

I thought GPVs were mainly used for commercial traffic (quarries  etc) rather than military, but it was all in Vanwides or ISO containers by the time I started taking much notice of it, so a bit late for your period. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

I can't ID the wagons in your first pic or the loco, but the wagon in your second pic is a High goods (5 plank open) with a Type A container in it. I've seen military traffic in the longer Type B containers conveyed in 5 plank opens before for security reasons - you can't open the doors without taking it out of the  wagon ! Doing that in a Type A seems odd though as there should be more than enough room to open the end doors, but maybe someone missed the point.  

I thought GPVs were mainly used for commercial traffic (quarries  etc) rather than military, but it was all in Vanwides or ISO containers by the time I started taking much notice of it, so a bit late for your period. 

Yeah good spot, the photo is probably post war when the site was closing down, so could just be a tool wagon? 

40 minutes ago, mozzer models said:

when i worked for Standard Fireworks we used some of the mag there

Thats cool, do you remember the Achilles Tank that was there? 

I have a question you may be able to answer, do the Magazines have doors where the rails go, or is it open, with the individual doors on the magazines off the loading platforms? 

4 hours ago, WestyIII said:

Thats cool, do you remember the Achilles Tank that was there? 

I have a question you may be able to answer, do the Magazines have doors where the rails go, or is it open, with the individual doors on the magazines off the loading platforms? 

i was there in the 90's

the ones we used were on the outer edge the part that would have been track had roller shutter doors to enclose the loading dock & doors in to the mag from the loading dock(big steal doors)

but the site was open to the public in the 90's back in the day it would have been a MOD site so would not need the doors to enclose the loading dock

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Stock would've also included box vans & flat wagons.

You could add some military artistic licence & add a couple of warwells (with a tank) onboard.  🙂

On 03/03/2023 at 21:24, mozzer models said:

i was there in the 90's

the ones we used were on the outer edge the part that would have been track had roller shutter doors to enclose the loading dock & doors in to the mag from the loading dock(big steal doors)

but the site was open to the public in the 90's back in the day it would have been a MOD site so would not need the doors to enclose the loading dock

Great thank you, thats really helpful. 

Looks like they have closed down the retail section, I wonder how long it will have left!

On 03/03/2023 at 22:36, Flying Pig said:

One of these?

Looks bang on, will check out the kits, and rolling stock! 

Has anyone done a ROF layout before, need some more inspiration! 

Do you know what they manufactured there? The RoF at Bishopton had numerous acid tank wagons, but they were manufacturing a lot of the various acids required and sending them to other sites. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/rofbishopton

At Glascoed when we went it was down to the rump of vans they had but still some were very elderly (Greg Martin had stimulated us to go as he had found a lot more at a South Wales scrap yard) https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/rofglascoed

Puriton had closed by the time we got there. (and I didn't understand the new software of the old scanner when I did these. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/rofglascoed

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Do you know what they manufactured there? The RoF at Bishopton had numerous acid tank wagons, but they were manufacturing a lot of the various acids required and sending them to other sites. 

At Glascoed when we went it was down to the rump of vans they had but still some were very elderly (Greg Martin had stimulated us to go as he had found a lot more at a South Wales scrap yard) https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/rofglascoed

Puriton had closed by the time we got there. (and I didn't understand the new software of the old scanner when I did these. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/rofglascoed

Paul

From reading various items online it appears that the manufactured some explosives and filled shells. they also did some work on detonators but it wasn't clear exactly what that was.  Something I read suggested that they might also have filled small arms ammunition but it wasn't too clear on that point and I would think that a bit unusual alongside their other work but maybe it was done in order to boost overall small arms ammunition capacity?

Puriton manufactured explosives which were forwarded from there by rail  to the filling factories - I believe it regularly supplied Glascoed in its later years.  It also received acid in tank cars for use in the manufacturing process.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, WestyIII said:

Great thank you, thats really helpful. 

Looks like they have closed down the retail section, I wonder how long it will have left!

Looks bang on, will check out the kits, and rolling stock! 

Has anyone done a ROF layout before, need some more inspiration! 

Not ROF, but MoD/ RN; have you looked at Ernesettle, near Plymouth? It has a jetty in the Tamar estuary, formerly served by a narrow gauge line, which passed under the former L&SWR main line from Plymouth to Exeter. On the landward side, the narrow- gauge line ran into numerous underground bunkers, as well as an exchange shed, which served the standard gauge connection to the main-line.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Not ROF, but MoD/ RN; have you looked at Ernesettle, near Plymouth? It has a jetty in the Tamar estuary, formerly served by a narrow gauge line, which passed under the former L&SWR main line from Plymouth to Exeter. On the landward side, the narrow- gauge line ran into numerous underground bunkers, as well as an exchange shed, which served the standard gauge connection to the main-line.

I hadnt thats very helpful, thanks.

On another note, what points are best? I was originally just going to use the standard Hornby ones, should I look at Peco Mediums? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 06/03/2023 at 22:45, hmrspaul said:

Paul

How many wished that the loaded Izal Palvans had caught fire?

• RMweb Premium

This looks good.. keep up the progress reports please. Thorpe Arch was a filling site for shells and bombs so lots of vans, covered wagons etc from all 4 of the Big 4.

Best regards

Baz

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/03/2023 at 23:54, Barry O said:

This looks good.. keep up the progress reports please. Thorpe Arch was a filling site for shells and bombs so lots of vans, covered wagons etc from all 4 of the Big 4.

Best regards

Baz

Thank you, yeah that's excellent, always good to have an excuse for variety! 

• Thanks 1

On 22/03/2023 at 14:53, Night Train said:

These photos are exactly what I am after, thank you for posting!