00 Great Western ish Roundy Round

sjrixon

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, sjrixon said:

I had a day off with the youngest today, so as its just the two of us, time for some trains..

I've been putting off painting the rest of the track as it means moving everything.. Ideal job when I've got all day..

20230811_105841.jpg.1cf6e5d035b196a69ee5db4b095e0a0e.jpg

20230811_111603.jpg.cca9492483da7b089b180734a01af762.jpg

I then showed him how to cover up the point blades ready for painting..

Then, we got the airbrush out...

20230811_113420.jpg.5a9cad397f098425cdaeeca4ce56eb79.jpg

"Dad, this stuff stinks"

"No, it doesn't now get back to work"

🤣

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Actually a lot of progress in the picture... The kids helped me give the back scene a paint of blue and then we cleaned the track and got a few things running. 

Then I've wired up a couple of platform lights..

20230817_204208.jpg.fc31408e01b82a17d1d9d334ed0e9846.jpg

When the Manor arrives with its firebox flickering, will look amazing in the gloom..

• Like 12

On 12/08/2023 at 09:14, sjrixon said:

Does anyone have any good Led recommendations for lighting up buildings? 

I usually just cut a piece of 12V LED strip to length and use that (mainly because I've got a lot of offcut!), though it's perhaps a little on the bright side.

• Like 2

On 22/08/2023 at 13:39, Vecchio said:

Just put some resistors in series to the LED's. Start with something like 2.2kΩ, if not enough use another one in series and so on. 

You need to start with high resistance and work down - putting too low a resistor in series may well damage the LED.

You need a 1K resisitor to run LEDs off a 12V power supply. 

Most multimeters have a resistance setting which you can use to find out the value of resistors.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Easier than resistors; acrylic matt  white or cream, applied over the bulb in layers until it looks right.  Leds do not give off enough heat for this to be a problem.  'Maltese cross' lampshades will assist in preventing bleed and direct light where you want it to go inside the building.  Overbright lighting is a general issue on layouts, especially steam-era ones when domestic light bulbs were bought by cost-concious Scrooges like my dad who reckoned anything over 60w was insanity*.  Coach lighting was 25w 12v powered, and signal (and most loco, and all tail lamps) were oil.  Basically, if you can see that the lights are on under your normal ambient layout lighting conditions, they are way too bright; coach lighting could not be clearly seen to be on under station lighting at night!  Street lighting was a bit brighter, at least on main roads with the orange sodium discharge lamps, and neon was used for advertising, but everything else was a bit dim and pathetic.  Anyone from the 1800s would have thought it was all miraculously bright, but they lived with oil lamps and candles.

Yard and industrial lighting was pretty feeble compared to modern equivalents as well; with filament bulbs, there was a point at which the heat generated made them vulnerable to cold rain or frost forming on them, about 150w.  Sports stadium floodlighting was much brighter, but required generators to power it and some time to warm up to full brightness, too expensive for yard or industrial use.  You could see stars in the night sky that I haven't seen in the city for over 60 years...

*Trying not to go into 'two Yorkshiremen' mode, but, as a middle-class not-particularly-deprived sort of schoolchild I did homework in a bedroom that was so cold in winter that there was ice, frozen condensation, inside the windows and on more than one occasion my 'Quink' froze in the pen (we weren't allowed biro for homework); you knew it was proper cold when it froze in the pot...  Going into town and doing it in the reference library was more conducive to a studious atmosphere, but not much warmer!  Yer tell kids that terday, they don't berleeve yer, but it's true, and was the norm in the 60s; none of my peers had heated bedrooms either.  When I used my own paper round money to buy a small convector heater, the Captain demanded five bob a week off me (a sixth of my paper round wages) for the electric, then confiscated it for his own use and gave me a paraffin heater!  No wonder I failed A levels, my brain was frozen and fogged with paraffin fumes (this isn't a joke, I've always believed that the fumes were harmful)...

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, The Johnster said:

*Trying not to go into 'two Yorkshiremen' mode, but, as a middle-class not-particularly-deprived sort of schoolchild I did homework in a bedroom that was so cold in winter that there was ice, frozen condensation, inside the windows and on more than one occasion my 'Quink' froze in the pen (we weren't allowed biro for homework); you knew it was proper cold when it froze in the pot...  Going into town and doing it in the reference library was more conducive to a studious atmosphere, but not much warmer!  Yer tell kids that terday, they don't berleeve yer, but it's true, and was the norm in the 60s; none of my peers had heated bedrooms either.  When I used my own paper round money to buy a small convector heater, the Captain demanded five bob a week off me (a sixth of my paper round wages) for the electric, then confiscated it for his own use and gave me a paraffin heater!  No wonder I failed A levels, my brain was frozen and fogged with paraffin fumes (this isn't a joke, I've always believed that the fumes were harmful)...

That sounds all too familiar, my bedroom was an unheated "conservatory" with a glass roof, the plug in heater made no difference whatsoever.  Still, we survived, although no A levels for me either!

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We spent the morning glueing our fingers together, or, installing the fencing on the down platform. At one point, I was stuck to the platform. 

The lights were finished last night. I still want to add a switch, but that's a further down the line type project....

20230901_095929.jpg.a8219d49728d6b6de099e39624f469a9.jpg

Need to have a tidy, running session, and then find the paint to complete the fence. 

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

We went to 'Steam' at Swindon yesterday, as they had a model railway exhibition on. It's been a while since I'd been to one there.. I don't think personally it was their best, still enjoyed the day, but the trade wasn't that interesting and I felt their could have been a few more layouts. 

Anyway. I bought a wagon and pint glass to support 2874.. Also had a pint to support the museum ;)

20230909_175857.jpg.f12cb1b53701f439a84c0ff948f4035f.jpg

Once of the highlights however was holding the GWR railcar from Kernow. They really are exquisite. This is them on the shelf... 

20230909_134104.jpg.e34bd71d11d31b3b7a535b40d58fdf7b.jpg

• Like 12