Suitable RTR chassis for the Stewart Reidpath 0-6-0T?

papagolfjuliet

• RMweb Gold

I recently acquired a pair of Reidpath 0-6-0T bodies, and was wondering if any RTR chassis could be modified to fit them. I'm assuming that the ex-Dapol Terrier and the Hornby Peckett B2 would be likely candidates, along perhaps with the Bachmann Thomas.

The Bachmann or even the old Mainline J72 chassis might work. Just be careful of the old Mainline one. It has a habit of slipping it's axles and loosing it's quartering unless suitably modified. Now I know this is not a ready to run chassis, But High Level Kits do a J72 chassis.

https://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/product-page/lner-j72

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

A slippery slope! (says he, surrounded by unfinished projects!).

The Reidpath body is rather small, being originally H0, but maybe a carved up Tri-ang Princess chassis fitted with smaller wheels? or a TT Jinty with extended axles? (A bit 'hen's teeth' though!)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

? or a TT Jinty with extended axles? (A bit 'hen's teeth' though!)

Hardly. Spend time in the TT world and you'll realise that Tri-ang made two Jinties for every man, woman and child on the planet. The only thing more numerous is the TT brake van, which they made about twice as many of. 😁

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Hardly. Spend time in the TT world and you'll realise that Tri-ang made two Jinties for every man, woman and child on the planet. The only thing more numerous is the TT brake van, which they made about twice as many of. 😁

But most of them are apparently in bits.  I went to a 3mm exhibition once, just a very small local affair, but I've never seen so many spare parts for sale in my life.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

But most of them are apparently in bits.  I went to a 3mm exhibition once, just a very small local affair, but I've never seen so many spare parts for sale in my life.

Then you are at the wrong show I'm afraid. There are lots and lots and lots in one piece. If you are really stuck, join the 3mm Society for the superb second-hand service. They have tons of the things to get rid of, at bargain prices!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Clearly what Triang TT needed to succeed was DCC . Then you can run the sort of prototype train you never see on DC layouts - two Jinties heading home to their depot pulling 4 brake vans...🤪

P.S. - on the original topic , would the Elettrotren 0-6-0T be an option?

Edited by Ravenser
  • Like 1

I'm pleased to find there are actually plenty of TT Jinties about. Perhaps not actually looking for one, I didn't notice.

I had two. I think one still works and the other is in bits. They were converted* to a GWR '517' and '633' way back (Like mid-sixties), but have been in a box for years. I must investigate when I get back to Italy....

*As in 'very approximately'!

I assume that's the BR (LNER design) brake van rather than the GWR one. (My GWR van must be in that box too.)

• Like 1

On 05/03/2023 at 10:11, Il Grifone said:

I'm pleased to find there are actually plenty of TT Jinties about. Perhaps not actually looking for one, I didn't notice.

I had two. I think one still works and the other is in bits. They were converted* to a GWR '517' and '633' way back (Like mid-sixties), but have been in a box for years. I must investigate when I get back to Italy....

*As in 'very approximately'!

I assume that's the BR (LNER design) brake van rather than the GWR one. (My GWR van must be in that box too.)

I think the conversions are really interesting. There's one in my collection converted to a 97xx using a whitemetal kit.

And yes, it's the BR brake. Normally run six to a train if the numbers around are anything to go by. 😁

• Funny 1

I had the K's 97xx. I tried to convert it to a 57xx and that was the end of that!

It wasn't the cleverest choice for a body kit. There were only a few and restricted to the London area! I must finish my 4mm one. It fits on a Dublo R1 chassis for some unknown reason. It is for my 'Uxbridge Road' Layout,which is on hold* at the moment. This was to be modelled as if the link from the West London Line to the Hammersmith and City was still in operation. Four rail track would then allow me to run anything.

They did a large Prairie tank too. I gather a Tri-ang Castle chassis required some serious chopping.

* Nothing new there where my projects are concerned!

So many trains, so little time,

• Like 1

On 04/03/2023 at 07:16, papagolfjuliet said:

I recently acquired a pair of Reidpath 0-6-0T bodies, and was wondering if any RTR chassis could be modified to fit them. I'm assuming that the ex-Dapol Terrier and the Hornby Peckett B2 would be likely candidates, along perhaps with the Bachmann Thomas.

I also have a couple of Reidpath bodies , both different , and acquired a Dapol terrier chassis for the use of  , it will fit one body shape but not the other ( not without removing some heavy metal ) Had looked at the mainline J72 but the amount of filing and cutting was another reason for another rainy day job

Also looked at the J94 , but gave up trying to remove the body  from chassis , as life is too short 

( rainy day job )

• Like 1

A burr in a Dremel will make fairly short work of the Reidpath casting - I used mine to represent a Hawthorn Leslie industrial, so removed the extended smokebox and the splasher castings, and made a smaller - wheeled chassis to go with it:

WP_20201112_10_12_08_Pro.jpg.5ee9f4a7036af1b5fe8dbdfa803206bb.jpg

WP_20201116_09_01_08_Pro.jpg.77c14765ec13e6f63d45854cfd4624a6.jpg

IMG_20210219_084819.jpg.5ba3995681394dfec52e25ebb8d74f41.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I did something similar (but in P4).

207909053_SRTanknearingcompletion.2.jpg.ffd4a3706b8441210767bae0f7fd6436.jpg

Mostly all bits from the 'scrap box'.  Must get round to painting it sometime................

Edited by 5050
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1