Q1 Locos.

Paul_C

20 hours ago, Paul_C said:

Sorry, when I listed it as Bachmann I was guessing as it was a good few years ago when I bought this and the box is long stored away. So this is a Bullied loco, that confirms a previous comment from somebody else. As I've said this was bought a good few years ago and you've probably spotted my obvious lack of observation 😂😂😂. I've got so much stock I sometimes forget what's been done and what hasn't as everything was packed away in 2020 when I had builders in to do my loft.

I forgot that this had already been weathered and renumbered and didn't spot it before I'd uploaded and attached the photos. The work was done by Steve Johnson at Grimy Times. Just sound to add now so it's time to search out the best sound files.

Paul.

The weathering looks good. Q1s were generally filthy all over. 

One of mine has an early sound project from Howes on an ESU LokSound v3.5, which I actually quite like. There are probably more up to date sound projects now, as well as much better speakers available for the Zimo or ESU LokSound v5 decoders you would be looking at now (the v3.5 uses 100 ohm speakers, for which the choices are limited). On top of that, there are now much smaller versions of those decoders available, meaning fewer potential problems with fitting them and the speaker in.

Edited by SRman

Ah, you've beaten me to it. I was just thinking the next stage is the sound and I have had a cursory look at the various options. Is your Howes version an actual Q1 or is it generic? So far everything that I've read says that no true Q1 sounds exist as they were all scrapped but there is one entry somewhere saying that one was saved but tracing it could be difficult.

So far I've looked at Legomanbiffo/YouChoos/Digitrains but I've also found another version by "Roads & Rail". I haven't heard of them before but when I listened to their project it seemed very good.

Paul.

1 hour ago, Paul_C said:

Ah, you've beaten me to it. I was just thinking the next stage is the sound and I have had a cursory look at the various options. Is your Howes version an actual Q1 or is it generic? So far everything that I've read says that no true Q1 sounds exist as they were all scrapped but there is one entry somewhere saying that one was saved but tracing it could be difficult.

So far I've looked at Legomanbiffo/YouChoos/Digitrains but I've also found another version by "Roads & Rail". I haven't heard of them before but when I listened to their project it seemed very good.

Paul.

There is one Q1 preserved. I believe it belongs to the NRM, but last time I saw it it was stabled on the Bluebell Railway.

I'm not sure if the sounds I have are generic or genuine, but I do know that Bryan, of Howes, was careful to try and match sounds as closely as possible to archive footage where high quality or bespoke recordings were not available.

38 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

No point showing pictures of her cold, Paul, when the question was what she sounded like working ...... here she is starting from Sheffield Park for Kingscote .....

882_05.jpg.6f785d25aa502fca7384a1fa7b040a80.jpg

20/7/97

You've found an angle that makes it look not-as-ugly!

The Q1 is my favourite type of steam loco - mostly because I enjoy a bit of peculiarity in my life. Am hoping to actually see C1 in steam one day, but we shall see.

377C95C4-24C1-4A2B-B115-68063DFC88EE.jpeg.e9ffa914175fae683c133f46bba8c493.jpeg7CCBEEA8-C091-4D15-A887-C7A422B25E61.jpeg.b2c84d5d1f4bb3a5ff6f2d1e50fc1c9b.jpeg

when I visited the NRM last Wednesday she wasn’t looking in the best of shape. Her tender was parked up outside (possibly awaiting its turn in the conservation siding) and the loco itself was fenced off - presumably to stop people climbing on it 

definitely my ‘if I won the euromillions’ locomotive :)

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, rogerzilla said:

You've found an angle that makes it look not-as-ugly!

It's only "ugly" to those of us who have become accustomed to a steam loco having a round boiler ..... most non-railway-enthusiast people probably don't find the latter particularly beautiful - unless decorated in a pretty livery p'raps !

3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

No point showing pictures of her cold, Paul, when the question was what she sounded like working ...... here she is starting from Sheffield Park for Kingscote .....

20/7/97

Completely misses the qualities of a Coffeepot. Needs a nice patina to look right. 

Paul

I think I've still got the remains of a K's one somewhere ( not finished 'cos I never got a satisfactory chassis from them - it's too short anyway ) ..... I'll get round to finishing My Little Engines one some day and then see if I can figure out a way of converting my Hornby one to EM without it looking silly !

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I think I've still got the remains of a K's one somewhere ( not finished 'cos I never got a satisfactory chassis from them - it's too short anyway ) ..... I'll get round to finishing My Little Engines one some day and then see if I can figure out a way of converting my Hornby one to EM without it looking silly !

I understand that you can use a gear puller to pull each wheel out the necessary 0,85 mm and then use a black filler to disguise the "sunken" axle ends. The tyre profiles are apparently close enough to EM standards to work well on EM track once the back-to-back is correct.

Edited by bécasse

19 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

It's the - rather visible - yawning gap between the wheels and the frames that concerns me ! ☹️

Replicate the frames in, say, 30 thou black plastikard and superglue them either side of the chassis inside the back of the wheels. 30 thou should be flexible enough to slip in from above the wheels, and then use the capillary effect of the glue to fix them.

On 09/03/2023 at 21:01, Wickham Green too said:

I rejigged my K's Q1 many years ago, with Markits wheels (the K's ones were never concentric - dreadful things they were). I fitted a Mashima motor with a Comet double reduction gearbox (my third attempt at getting a running model, this time successful), so it grinds a bit but could pull the side out of the house ... it certainly pulled some couplings out of their mountings on some of my wagons! I also reshaped the top casting a bit as it was rather flat. I have never tried to convert it to DCC as there is very little room inside the thick white metal castings, and a real danger of shorting a decoder out if I don't get it exactly right. Also, it will require a physically very small decoder with lots of power handling ability. A pity in many ways as it runs nicely (but noisily) and I rather like it, even though it has way less detail than the Hornby offerings.

Ks Kit-built Q1 20230310_213439.jpg

• Like 3