The Missenden Project - Alan Gibson LMS Jubilee with CSB and various BSL Phoenix coaches

Jol

The track work looks superb, but then it is what I would expect from a talented model maker

I am now going to contradict myself now, in the raw nothing looks better in my opinion than well built ply and rived track work in the raw. Something I can do at a push but never to ton's quality. But this method of construction can be far more demanding in maintenance, memories of Watford & District Callowland layout with chairs coming unstuck whilst cleaning and solder joints failing.

My own early attempts were hampered probably by using a cheaper soldering iron rather than a solder station. plus I used a medium spade tip where something smaller might be better. I must have another go just to see how my skills have improved 

But again in my opinion things have moved on greatly, plastic components have become the norm and the latest developments are now moving towards 3D printing, commercial kits as you say from British Finescale and Templot is taking it much further with bespoke designs at the touch of a keyboard under development. Perhaps taking some of the fun away !!

• RMweb Premium
On 26/06/2023 at 21:50, ianLMS said:

Are the bogies P4 or OO? I am OO at the moment but am seriously contemplating ripping up the layout and building a smaller, portable EM or P4 layout! Just need to build up courage (and funds) to do it!!! Will mean of course new chassis for over 30 locos i have built, but then i doubt i would build a layout big enough to use them all! 

How old are you Ian? Do you have enough time to start again? A big step that needs careful research - fortunately plenty of good advice is available here.

I really admire your layout - the scenery look very familiar to a Buxton dweller!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368

• RMweb Gold
On 11/08/2023 at 08:54, Jol Wilkinson said:

Although building P4 track is time consuming compared to using RTP OO track such as Peco, it isn't difficult. Having some good P4 gauges and few hand tools are all that is needed. There is an excellent topic on the S4 Forum by Tony Wilkins on track building https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5727, as well as plenty of other information. I mainly follow Tony's method but use ply and rivet in just a few locations such as under the nose of the crossing Vee, with Exactoscale chairs threaded onto the rail elsewhere. This photo shows the first P4 track I built.

Underconstructioncropped.jpg.37f7a87d15723f6285bb7aef2cb4d203.jpg

The new Finetrax P4 point kit has also been found to be a good starting point, although only available as B7s so far. https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8730

Stunning trackwork there!!! Definately something to aspire to. I am a member of Scalefour so will check out the thread. The toughest part is finding a station/track layout that is going to be relatively simple to begin with but interesting to operate and will try not be too ambitious. Those point kits look interesting. Again, its knowing what points to go for and knowing the difference between B7, B6 etc, etc. Lots to read up on!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/08/2023 at 10:57, 30368 said:

How old are you Ian? Do you have enough time to start again? A big step that needs careful research - fortunately plenty of good advice is available here.

I really admire your layout - the scenery look very familiar to a Buxton dweller!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Thank you Richard. I am in my early 50's so hopefully will be a while before i will be pushing up daisy's lol!!! Like the vast majority of us, limited time, space and finances make things a little more challenging, but where there is a will..........!! The first step is going to be the hardest. Taking a hammer to the layout i spent 10 years working on, but rarely use will definately motivate me to move to P4 or EM. I enjoy building kits rather than operating but would like something to show off the stock etc. A motive depot is the easy answer, but would still like to see a decent freight or passenger train rumble through!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, ianLMS said:

Thank you Richard.

No offence meant Ian - I am a very fit and healthy 75 so I guess I was looking at things from my "prism". Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Gold

No offence taken Richard. Its definately a consideration when it takes several years to accomplish what we set out to achieve in this hobby. My next project will be mobile so at least i can move it/expand it at a later date if the opportunity for more space arises. I can give my wife back our spare room then! Loft conversion or decent outbuilding is looking at around £12K whichever option i choose. At least with an outbuilding, toxic paint and glue fumes wont interrupt domestic bliss as it does at the moment!!

• Funny 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finally finished the BSL Brake 3rd D1905. Used the Comet Aluminium roof, MJT bogeys and more heavily weathered (too much perhaps, but im still figuring weathering out!!!). Deciding which to build next as i have several BSL coaches in my to do box!!

20231010_220826.jpg

20231010_220821.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Next coach, BSL Stanier 57' Corridor 3rd D1899 ready for priming with Phoenix Precision 2-part etch primer from the airbrush, before top coats of Gloss Precision Crimson Lake and Satin Black for the ends, chassis and bogeys. Bogeys are MJT white metal non-sprung with AGW wheels. Will be fitted with microscope slide cover glass and homemade corridor connections, MJT screw couplings and a few peeps which need to go under the surgeons knife to fit the ratio seating!! Will paint the interior a sort of brown for varnished wood and the seats i do with Tamiya colours. Base grey with colourful splodges for a pattern. 

20231111_182141.jpg

20231111_182119.jpg

• Like 5