The Missenden Project - Alan Gibson LMS Jubilee with CSB and various BSL Phoenix coaches

• RMweb Gold

Getting near completion now. DCC chip (Zimo MX623) fitted nicely inside motion gear bracket in the frames. Just made a little platform for it to sit on.  Tender and loco chassis and pick ups all sorted, tender/loco connection done and all running smoothly. Just a few details and touch ups left, mainly loco brakes, buffers, electrical connection between tender and chip and touch up paint where needed.

Ian

20230515_071103.jpg

20230515_071039.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finally, the Jubilee 5698 Mars is complete after some very light weathering, real coal, Modelu crew, lamps and couplings fitted

and now under going testing on layout! 
So far, its behaving! 

One pic was taken while messung around with a disposable vape. Wrong kind of steam but adds a little atmosphere i think!

20230611_121901.jpg

20230611_121851.jpg

20230611_121715.jpg

20230611_121704.jpg

20230611_121658.jpg

20230611_121711.jpg

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Now focusing my attention on a few BSL/Phoenix coaches i have collected to go behind the Jubilee! Starting with a 57' Composite Vestibule which i think is designed to be either D1862, D1984 or D1903. No diagram sheet with the kit so will prob go with D1903 as there were around 29 built between 1934 & 1939. (According to the book "LMS coaches An illustrated History" by Mr Jenkinson and Mr Essery)! It appears they were often used as dining cars so best i have a kitchen car to go with it!!

Currently working on the underframe using 1mm and 0.5mm square brass rod.

16864913733184662906407022282925.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• ianLMS changed the title to The Missenden Project - Alan Gibson LMS Jubilee with CSB and various BSL Phoenix coaches
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Underframe almost complete. Had some Comet detailing parts so used those. Now working on a couple of very fine PC Models 9' etched brass bogies. They didnt have the axle boxes or springs with them but i had one spare so i cast the others out of resin. Not perfect but will be ok. I have now fixed the ends, scribed the doors in the sides and all will be ready for a coat of etch primer tonight or romorrow. Will post pics of those later.

20230618_153746.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

10 hours ago, ianLMS said:

Completed underframe with PC Models bogies, step boards from scrap sprues and all ready for etch priming.

20230621_211932.jpg

Ian

You are making a lovely job with this coach, BSL coaches are a modellers kit, in that the more you put into them the more they give.

Somewhere I have collected a stash of part built BSL kits, I doubt if they will ever see the light of day with me. Certainly your underframes are far superior to BSL's plastic extrusions and look as good if not better than modern etched equivalent kits

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you John. I do enjoy building these kits, practising my skills and testing my patience!!!

Most of the cheap kits i got off ebay have wooden roofs which can be a pain to work on. I prefer the aluminium roof, but the ends are profiled for the wood and not easily modified to be compatible. 

I usually use Comet underframes attached direct to the floor with the Comet solebar trimmed off.  Makes building them a lot easier and the etches are finer than what i can make. Everything is then positioned correctly. 

The next one will have MJT bogies and a Comet underframe. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Roof prepped with a coat of Shelac (Colron French Polish) to seal it, vents, roof strips and water fillers fitted and test fitted to the coach. 

Interior from Comet made up over the weekend. Will be primed then hand-painted. Once everything is primed and given a coat of black for the underframe and ends and grey for the roof i can assemble it ready for the sides to go on after thwy have been painted Crimson Lake and lined. 

20230625_181112.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 22/06/2023 at 10:50, ianLMS said:

Thank you John. I do enjoy building these kits, practising my skills and testing my patience!!!

Most of the cheap kits i got off ebay have wooden roofs which can be a pain to work on. I prefer the aluminium roof, but the ends are profiled for the wood and not easily modified to be compatible. 

I usually use Comet underframes attached direct to the floor with the Comet solebar trimmed off.  Makes building them a lot easier and the etches are finer than what i can make. Everything is then positioned correctly. 

The next one will have MJT bogies and a Comet underframe. 

Are you aware of the Palantine chassis for LMS coaches.  Only presently available in 57 or 60 foot lengths, but they are very good.

http://www.checksystems.com/palatinemodels/4mmproducts.html

http://www.checksystems.com/palatinemodels/files/Download/LMS underframes.pdf

If you have bother getting into the website let me know as i know the owner.

Edited by Portchullin Tatty
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

Are you aware of the Palantine chassis for LMS coaches.  Only presently available in 57 or 60 foot lengths, but they are very good.

I am now !!!!! The etches look very nice!! Have bookmarked the site and will place an order very soon! 

Thank you for that Mark!!

I am in need of a 4 x 50' underframes which is a pity. Even Wizard are out of them, so those i may end up having to build similar to this one.

• RMweb Gold

Looks very smart Ian.

Maybe blacken the wheel rims, they stand out a bit?

I usually use Brass Black on the rims and motion gear once its been tested so thats another job for the very near future.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Are the bogies P4 or OO? I am OO at the moment but am seriously contemplating ripping up the layout and building a smaller, portable EM or P4 layout! Just need to build up courage (and funds) to do it!!! Will mean of course new chassis for over 30 locos i have built, but then i doubt i would build a layout big enough to use them all! 

27 minutes ago, ianLMS said:

Are the bogies P4 or OO? I am OO at the moment but am seriously contemplating ripping up the layout and building a smaller, portable EM or P4 layout! Just need to build up courage (and funds) to do it!!! Will mean of course new chassis for over 30 locos i have built, but then i doubt i would build a layout big enough to use them all! 

Palantine only do the underframes, not the bogies.  For those, in P4, then use either the Bill Bedfords or the Dave Bradwell bogies - or if you are feeling flush Rumney Models.

And 30 chassis would be a fairly big job; but you can obviously build chassis so not impossible.  Sprung/compensated chassis are not really any more difficult than a fixed one and arguably easier (although in practice people - well I - tend to build in fresh complications rather undoing that statement!)

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

Palantine only do the underframes, not the bogies.  

I was looking at the 9' twin bar bogie kits that were on the same page as the underframes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Slowly getting there! Sides epoxied on with microscope slide covers for the windows, Rizzla papers for the 1st class curtains, blue tissue for the 3rd class and Pressfix decals.  Lining was applied with a bow pen. A bit too thick but hoping to refine for the next batch of coaches and get better at it.

Next up is a bit of light weathering and attaching of the bogies, buffer heads, corridor connections and coupling hooks, then on to the next one!!!!

20230723_183154.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 26/06/2023 at 22:38, ianLMS said:

I was looking at the 9' twin bar bogie kits that were on the same page as the underframes.

Hello Ian, very nice modelling, very much enjoyed reading through your thread!

Regarding those Palatine bogies and their gauge: I work in OO too and I've just received some for possible use on a current project. In the course of discussions with Ralph from Palatine, he explained that the bogies are built around the wheels so they can be made to a narrower gauge quite easily: the 2 cross wires form the basis of the width of the bogie and are soldered in place, so they can be changed to match a shorter axle/B2B.

They look very interesting and while my current project will possibly only use parts of them, I plan to use complete 8'6" bogies on an LNER or GNR coach build, so if you decide to try a pair I'll be very interested to see how you get on...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I might just have to give a Paletine underframe and bogies a try. Just in two minds whether to continue in 00 or go for the plunge and try EM or P4. A new layout would be required which means destroying the old one to make space. Eventually i plan on an 20' x 12' outbuilding for my railway room but thats a few years away.

Edited by ianLMS
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the kind words Mike. 

Yes Chas, def something to have a long think about. Its the track building element of P4 that is the most daunting. Oh and choosing the right LMS station small enough for me to do it justice. Out will come the sketch book and LMS stations books!!!

• Like 1

Although building P4 track is time consuming compared to using RTP OO track such as Peco, it isn't difficult. Having some good P4 gauges and few hand tools are all that is needed. There is an excellent topic on the S4 Forum by Tony Wilkins on track building https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5727, as well as plenty of other information. I mainly follow Tony's method but use ply and rivet in just a few locations such as under the nose of the crossing Vee, with Exactoscale chairs threaded onto the rail elsewhere. This photo shows the first P4 track I built.

Underconstructioncropped.jpg.37f7a87d15723f6285bb7aef2cb4d203.jpg

The new Finetrax P4 point kit has also been found to be a good starting point, although only available as B7s so far. https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8730

• Like 5