Another big NG diesel incoming.

• RMweb Gold

From Isengard: "Kevin Dakin writes: 'An ex-SAR Class 91 diesel loco is on its way to the U.K. purchased by a Mr Matt Dolby. The loco is dual fitted for brakes and is fitted with FR style chopper couplings and is 2' gauge. There is no indication as to its destination in the U.K. Mr Dolby purchased a German built 0-10-0T from [Preston Services] last year which is being restored at private workshop X in North Derbyshire.'"

Now I wonder where that could be headed? Dinas, perhaps, or Aberystwyth? There aren't that many lines it will fit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Class_91-000

Edited by papagolfjuliet
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Kevin Dakin writes: 'An ex-SAR Class 91 diesel loco is on its way to the U.K. purchased by a Mr Matt Dolby. The loco is dual fitted for brakes and is fitted with FR style chopper couplings and is 2' gauge. There is no indication as to its destination in the U.K. Mr Dolby purchased a German built 0-10-0T from [Preston Services] last year which is being restored at private workshop X in North Derbyshire.'

Now I wonder where that could be headed? Dinas, perhaps?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Class_91-000

What a whopper!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Odd that Preston Services is advertising that streamlined Sentinel as a diesel. Have they not looked inside the cab?

I just thought it was quite common knowledge (at least amongst those who ought to know, like Preston Services) that the Sentinels that look like that are steam locos (there are a few Sentinel steam to diesel conversions but I don’t think this is one). Does anyone know where it’s come from?

I notice they’ve still got the 18 inch gauge Stirling Single as well (not sure if it’s the Jaywick one or the other one, or where the other one is).

5 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

The Sentinel is 9366/1945, formerly of Quainton and most recently at Telford. The Stirling Single is indeed the Jaywick one. The Regent Street Poly one is at the World of Country Life farm park and museum in Devon. 

http://ukprsl.uk/final-results.asp?action=display&Id=9333

Yes, I did see that - I knew it had been at Country Life but wasn’t sure if it was still there. There is some confusion between the two locos but I don’t have the NGRS book about Jaywick to hand at the moment.

Back to the SAR 91 - does anyone know where the 0-10-0T is headed, as that might provide a clue as to the diesel’s destination (although not necessarily)? I can’t think of many lines it could run on. Welsh Highland and VoR (as mentioned) sound fairly sensible and both run ex-SAR Garratts (Rheidol has the NGG13 now). Could Brecon Mountain also be a possibility? They have some fairly large diesels already (including this), the large Baldwin steam locos and I think at one stage might have had an ex-SAR NG15 on site.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Much as I would like to see a Class 91 on the Welsh Highland, I don't think it's going to fit.

Class 91 Diesel Electric

photo by Hannes Paling

The NGG 16 Garratts are 10'4"  http://www.pcngr.co.za/ngg16.htm

I understand that when they arrived on the WHR, the railway had to lower the trackbed under some of the bridges to get the Garratts through. There is no way a nearly 12' tall diesel is going to fit under those bridges on the WHR.

I agree VOR maybe a possibility.  Haven't been there for a very long time, but I understand there is only one overbridge on the railway, and that has plenty of clearance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Moxy said:

I agree VOR maybe a possibility.  Haven't been there for a very long time, but I understand there is only one overbridge on the railway, and that has plenty of clearance.

What about Brecon? Ex-standard gauge trackbed and I don’t think it has bridges (this is not to say that it would fit in on all lines that use SG trackbeds obviously as some have much smaller stock or different clearances for loops and platforms, but at Brecon it would fit the size of stock already in use).

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Moxy said:

Much as I would like to see a Class 91 on the Welsh Highland, I don't think it's going to fit.

Class 91 Diesel Electric

photo by Hannes Paling

I gather that cutting it down to fit is also out of the question, as the engine and associated gubbins are situated high up in the body. So yes, assuming the owner isn't planning to stick it in his back garden, we're really looking at lines with few or no overbridges (Statfold, VoR) or lines built on old standard gauge formations (Brecon Mountain, South Tynedale).

• Like 2