Alternative Bachmann “Porthole” Bogies

• RMweb Gold

Could any member advise of a suitably correct alternative LMS bogie without electrical pick ups to replace those fitted to Bachmann “Porthole” stock.

Ideally, one which can be fitted without too much surgery.

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Dapol Kitmaster?  I've used these on a Lima LMS GUV to replace the generic B1s it came with.  There was surgery, but not excessively so.  Fitting Mainline GW Collett bogies to Lima Siphon, on the other hand...  Problem is keeping the flanges clear of the bottom of the vehicle.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Guys. 

Don’t laugh but the reason for the bogie swaps is that the pickup strips keep scraping the weathering off the wheel rims in places leaving them shiny and me not happy!

I took a bogie apart, cutting out the pickup strips but retaining the bearing cup part, glueing it back in the frame. Trouble is, the bogie is very flimsy when this is done, resulting in an intolerable amount of side play, especially the outer (end) axle 

Not too fussed at all with coach lighting but do like wheels that look as though they’ve done a few miles.

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Probably not too difficult to file the rivets off for a welded appearance, but obviously better for Right Away if he can source them without the rivets.

Not not just sans rivets, the welded type have two vertical ribs in the channel.  See photos of the Bachmann models.  Probably less obvious than shiny wheels, but a reason for tutting nonetheless.

A deluxe way round would be to buy etched bogies and reuse the Bachmann sideframes.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Wizard Models do a suitable etched bogie frame.

Mike.

I thought they might, but I could only find the complete kits with castings.  I had to use Google for that - searching for "bogie" on their own site finds every bogie vehicle in their range!  I miss the old Comet website.

10 hours ago, Right Away said:

Thanks Guys. 

Don’t laugh but the reason for the bogie swaps is that the pickup strips keep scraping the weathering off the wheel rims in places leaving them shiny and me not happy!

I took a bogie apart, cutting out the pickup strips but retaining the bearing cup part, glueing it back in the frame. Trouble is, the bogie is very flimsy when this is done, resulting in an intolerable amount of side play, especially the outer (end) axle 

Not too fussed at all with coach lighting but do like wheels that look as though they’ve done a few miles.

I'm assuming by this post that the pickups are wipers, rather thanbeing based on the 'bearing cups' being used? If so, why not just tweak them away from the wheels, or even cut them off?

I'd have a look at mine to check, but they are in boxes in my rather full garage at the moment.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

I thought they might, but I could only find the complete kits with castings.  I had to use Google for that - searching for "bogie" on their own site finds every bogie vehicle in their range!  I miss the old Comet website.

Just in case; BM2E/3E, which I suspect are the same thing.

I find Andrews search facility one of the better ones actually, filling in the relevant information took me straight to them.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a rethink on the original bogies and today have come up with a working solution that others might find useful if confronted with a similar issue.

Essentially, I drilled a 0.5mm hole in the top of the bogie frame each side at the end where it can splay outwards and then used 0.5mm piano wire to form a curved cross brace with the ends bent to 90° - please see attached piccies. This was then fixed with superglue gel into the holes. The curve  in the wire is required to avoid fouling the coupling. When refitting the bogie there is sufficient space to ease the tension lock behind the wire.

Hope it all makes sense.

RW

396A94F9-07C3-41B0-9963-F184C0902EF1.jpeg.b8d59106d80e19ac4322aea3c0a4c770.jpeg

Wire cross brace and fixing holes

65B2E194-1C98-4FDA-A87E-0FC5B9FDD2B6.jpeg.b96a80c91a6e7a8df3d2a17a340bdb6d.jpeg

Cross brace in position

4AF69829-06ED-4C35-88B8-3B3298D22D9C.jpeg.16c9a2ec01dc8eab297dff30c5679354.jpeg

Bogie refitted.