Longshot - Calling any Sketchup experts - Help! (please)

• RMweb Gold

Can anybody tell me if it's possible to make this object solid in basic (free) Sketchup please...if it is possible how do I do it? Any pointers much appreciated.1651950352_Screenshot2023-03-15at18_07_39.png.de7f704c66445329806ab08be349aff6.png

Sorry, just spotted this here and not sure if its still an issue. . How dense is the mesh?  If you have relatively sparse mesh it should be possible to stitch the holes closed by creating triangles or quads inside the openings  though the denser the mesh the more annoying that would be.    There used to be an addon called curviloft or similar that would possibly have worked but I think that is no longer free.

You mentioned Meshmixer in another thread, you could try importing the .obj/.stl in there and using the analysis tool (analysis->inspector->Auto repair all)

Third option would be to import into blender and use one of the grid fill options that it  has. 

If you still need help with this I'm happy to expand on any of the above.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Sorry, just spotted this here and not sure if its still an issue. . How dense is the mesh?  If you have relatively sparse mesh it should be possible to stitch the holes closed by creating triangles or quads inside the openings  though the denser the mesh the more annoying that would be.    There used to be an addon called curviloft or similar that would possibly have worked but I think that is no longer free.

You mentioned Meshmixer in another thread, you could try importing the .obj/.stl in there and using the analysis tool (analysis->inspector->Auto repair all)

Third option would be to import into blender and use one of the grid fill options that it  has. 

If you still need help with this I'm happy to expand on any of the above.

Thank you for the reply. After a chat with the person who has asked me to make them I’ve decided on the very belt and braces solution of cramming the void with as many internal supports as I can get in, printing it and then using filler to fill any spaces and to make a ( reasonably) smooth exterior surface. As these are going to be training aids they will be handled regularly so the more solid I can make them the better.

An initial print using this method looks promising, refinement will be necessary, but it looks as if it might do the job. One advantage of not being solid is that they cost peanuts to print, it isn’t hard work to stuff them full of filler, and so can be treated as disposable items.

However, I will investigate and try the method you describe as I’m sure that if I can get my head round it it will come in very useful in the future.

Again, thank you for the reply.

Edited by PhilH