LNWR 2-4-0 with mazak pest

Johnson044

This little beastie is on ebay at the mo for a fiver. I think this is mazak pest damage rather than from being dropped so decay is pretty advanced unfortunately. Can anyone shed any light on the origins? I wonder if the bright green is the original colour underneath the rather horrid re-paint. I have a feeling I've come across these before somewhere and they were made as part of a little range of toys called "Heroes of the Iron Road" or something similar, maybe with a Bury 0-4-0 as part of the range.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155455964426?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20220705100511%26meid%3Dbd75c27a9b5d4f61b717363ff198f16f%26pid%3D101524%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D155455964426%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2380057.c101524.m146925&_trkparms=pageci%3A365b9558-c407-11ed-b52f-3ed0e58dcb7f|parentrq%3Aead510541860a4d75f9caf6afffe0a0c|iid%3A1

Hardwicke.JPG

• Like 1

I have two: one with 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' as a paper sticker and one with it embossed, Both eccentrically have the number 7118 which was changed in 1928. I suppose it was modelled from a photo, which would explain some of the other eccentricities.

I am afraid poor Hardwicke is doomed to the dustbin of history, another victim of the dreaded pest.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep thinking about the little Bury 0-4-0. It's really not a bad likeness and the original wheels were very good. The bar frames, front sandboxes and haycock firebox have been done well- I still don't think I'll go for it without the wheels but at least two others obviously do think it's a worthwhile project so hopefully it will go to a good home.

Someone in the early '50's decided that there was a market - either nostalgia based or just wishful thinking - and took the trouble to measure the real thing, or get some drawings, decide how the parts could be reduced to the simplest combination sufficient to make a model that was reasonably accurate but robust enough to be played with,  and make a decent set of patterns and get it cast, painted, assembled and hopefully sold. But how many children would have been interested in a 100 year old engine in the 1950's?

4 hours ago, Johnson044 said:

I keep thinking about the little Bury 0-4-0. It's really not a bad likeness and the original wheels were very good. The bar frames, front sandboxes and haycock firebox have been done well- I still don't think I'll go for it without the wheels but at least two others obviously do think it's a worthwhile project so hopefully it will go to a good home.

Someone in the early '50's decided that there was a market - either nostalgia based or just wishful thinking - and took the trouble to measure the real thing, or get some drawings, decide how the parts could be reduced to the simplest combination sufficient to make a model that was reasonably accurate but robust enough to be played with,  and make a decent set of patterns and get it cast, painted, assembled and hopefully sold. But how many children would have been interested in a 100 year old engine in the 1950's?

I'm one of the bidders for the Old Copper K*ob, wanting the body to repair another. Yes these wheels are wrong.

Please, what do want for your Earl of Hardwick, I have a body with no wheels?

Very nice, and interesting. Would you collect the current crop of cheapo trains, like Paya, Bluebox, etc or even the Chinese, "Classic", train set locomotives?

( I managed to find my first train set after a bit of research and it was by Lincoln International. Plastic, 00 gauge and battery powered. ) 

Or, is it diecast only?

Interesting.

I for one would have been a customer for these in the fifties, but I never saw them. Perhaps they had already disappeared from the market? There were several short-lived products in the early fifties - Ever-Ready undergound set, Palitoy S gauge, etc.

This came up as a link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk

Why??

No 'Rocket' ever got to this state. Neither the original - scrapped/rebuilt before delivery to the Liverpool and Manchester - in a very different form - opinions differ as to how much of the Rainhill locomotive was left - nor any of the various replicas.

The seller has a large quantity of similar horrors.

Real scrapped locos were off to somewhere like Woodham's ASAP.

Edited by Il Grifone

2 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

There were several short-lived products in the early fifties - Ever-Ready undergound set, ....

I havent looked at my one for ages, but I can tell you from memory that there were reasons it was short-lived - stamped metal, stampings overlap metal instead of tabs so the ends bulged, and a wheel profile that was only compatible with Trix Twin track, but it was pure 3-rail and DC so couldnt be used at the same time as Trix equipment, and the final insult of being based on the designs of the Bulleid 1940 stock for the Waterloo & City - the ONLY non-LT London tube line - but wearing LT red......

and going back to one theme of this thread - a motor bogie made of mazak that crumbles. As mine has. 

Might be a 1950s product but the product standards were more like 1910. Hard to believe that the exquisite Trackmaster N2 and the Ever-Ready underground set came out in the same year.

Edited by Captain Slough

I had one in my youth. It didn't suvive.... I did run the trailer cars (not the power car it was 6 volt)  on my Dublo (shortage of coaches - hard to obtain due to the Korean War) , so the wheels (zinc alloy IIRC!) couldn't have been that bad The motor was also used in the Palitoy S gauge Prairie - rubbish there too! (the reason mine doesn't run!)

A friend never returned my Trackmaster N2 after I loaned it, but I have got a replacement and 2 Kirdon* bodies which are projects for fitting to Tri-ang or Hornby chassis.

* I think they are Kirdon rather than Trackmaster or Tri-ang (not that there is any great difference!). I know Kirdon were selling off the bodies in the mid-fifties (3/6d IIRC) and they are bereft of any transfers. (This AFAIK is the only difference in the bodies - Trackmaster 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' ,Tri-ang 'cycling lion' and I think Kirdon didn't bother. Unlike the Gaiety version. which is the same as the underscale Dublo one, these are about a centimetre longer.

• Like 2

On 28/03/2023 at 18:25, Canal Digger said:

OK old photos gone.collection ranges from Champion Products, to Tootsietoy, Japanese Tinplate to Wallwork 

20221106_191306.jpg

20230326_192800.jpg

20220403_101405.jpg

Japanese Tinplate.jpg

20201010_211033.jpg

What a wonderful collection - I'm particularly taken with the 1930's Tootsietoy  Crakerjack prizes - something of a half size anticipation of Lone Star Locos. The Wallworks 4-2-2 is gorgeous.

The ones that always rather threw me were the Dinky push along A4 and articulated coaches - good in side elevation but monstrously wide when you see them in plan. 

...and if only the Lesney Duke of Connaught had been made a little smaller or a little bigger- it's 2.3mm to the foot so too big to be useful in 2mm and too small for the new 2.5mm TT... I've got a couple of really grim ones in front of me and I keep thinking there must be something creative that can be done with them. 

I'm aware, of course, that the Lesney models were scaled to fit in the standard box size. Can't help feeling that the Duke of Connaught had limited play value. 

I'm also sure that at some time in Model Railway News (I think) there was an article where someone had made a tender and a Dean clerestory coach with a Lone Star diesel motor inside it. Anyone else remember that?

On 28/03/2023 at 18:51, 33C said:

Very nice, and interesting. Would you collect the current crop of cheapo trains, like Paya, Bluebox, etc or even the Chinese, "Classic", train set locomotives?

( I managed to find my first train set after a bit of research and it was by Lincoln International. Plastic, 00 gauge and battery powered. ) 

Or, is it diecast only

Not just diecast, Whiskey/ Whisky Miniatures, Lines Bros wooden & my next project, a Main Line, green Bakalite Whale with a 3rd rail pick up, no motor but a coil to pull it along a series of pieces of metal, speed/ movement controlled by mark/ space ratio of insulation on 3rd rail, rather than varying voltage. Apparently will work on either ac or dc, racking my brains to remember my C&G/ BTEC Electrical Technician's studies from 40 year ago, to think which easier, any thoughts please. Yes, the picture on the box looks nothing like the contents!

I really don't understand why my collection is described as 'eclectic & eccentric'.

20230330_162934.jpg

20230330_162020.jpg

20211217_173621.jpg

20211217_174134.jpg

20220116_161330.jpg

• Like 1