Why won't my track plan fit?

cromptonnut

I've found the following document (its about 5mb) on the Gauge O guild website

http://www.gauge0guild.com/Small_layouts_1-02.pdf

On page 52 of the document on the left hand side of the page is a track plan entitled "Rivendell" which is an end-to-end traverser layout, in 10ft x 2ft. I've had a good look through that document and "Rivendell" jumped out at me as just the sort of thing I was looking for, and it fits within my space constraints.

I'm trying to make it fit in 14ft x 3ft and I don't seem to be able to get it all in using XTrackCAD.

Is it simply that I'm using Peco pointwork, whereas I assume on the original plan it was handbuild and therefore tighter radii, or is there something else I seem to be doing majorly wrong?

Not having knowlege of XtrackCad cannot help on that side but the pictures in the article do suggest Peco track was used and that it will fit the specified space, is it possible to print out point templates and do a full size mock up?

It may well be me doing something wrong, or my boards are different sizes or something really dumb ... but I wanted to make sure that it wasn't an error in the drawing or something.

I will try the points mockup idea by printing out xtrackcad templates - we have an A3 printer at work :)

Currently a Bachmann Brassworks 121 awaiting a repaint (been fitting a sound chip), a brass shunter kit, and a resin VDA van kit to put together when I get round to it.

Will be getting the Heljan 33 when it comes out - saving up at present :)

Just had a look at the plan ....and measured a Peco O point in the shop ...and it will not fit ..!!! the 2 points face to face in the middle of the plan are shown occupying 2 x 1ft squares...but each point is 16-1/4 inches long and when I went to school 32-1/2 inches will not fit in a 24 inch space ...... :O

Regards Trevor ... :D

So it's not Peco points after all... that explains why it won't fit! I knew (well at least had a mild sort of remote inkling) that it definitely couldn't possibly be my mistake.

I guess my two choices are either buy or handmake other points (not preferred) or rejig the trackplan and keep the basic concept/arrangement of the layout.

Thanks!

i thought being O Gauge it would be easy but no, might be me to be fair.

A common misconception is that a larger scale is easier.

What really happens is that the small details that can be seen remain the same in size so you end up with more details to add. Something like a hinge in 2mm is a mere hint on a molding or near impossible to handle in 2mm suddenly becomes a detail that cannot be ignored in 7mm. That dubious brake gear in 2mm can actually be made to work in 7mm.

No problem ....if you PM me with your address I will pop some paper Peco O point templates in the post if that would help ...

Regards Trevor . :D

You could save yourself a stamp - peco has the templates on it's website so they can be printed at home.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this thread, but I just found it. Thanks for the link to the small track plans. I couldn't resist to try to fit the Rivendell layout into 14x3 ft with peco points, too. I'm not sure if it works. I used 3 Wye turnouts and 2 straights. Two points in the goods yard have been moved into each other, forming a kind of barry-slip, to gain a few inches. The orange boxes are for checking the clearances and are of prototype dimensions of 65 ft x 8 ft 6 in. The yellow dot is the pivot for the sector plate which is over 5 ft long as drawn. Would it work?

post-4642-127931616071_thumb.jpg

Curiously enough I found the article about 10 minutes ago whilst clearing my desk.

It's a bit late to start thinking too hard about it now but what you have looks ok. I was going to use a 2ft traverser on the left (long enough to hide a loco or '122') and 4ft as the maximum train length on the 'sector plate' although again I'd probably use some kind of traverser.

There's a slight error in your plan that the two top roads are actually sidings and on the scenic section - the scenic break you drew goes up towards the backscene (although it's not entirely clear in the original plan as it uses a footbridge as a scenic break) but that doesn't detract from the overall design which does indeed look like it works.

I note you've also joined the bottom-most siding to the goods yard to form a run-round loop - I'm thinking whether to use this or keep it as a separate siding as per the plan (although, again, the dotted line on the plan sorta implies either).

I wish Peco would bring out some "small" (60") points to compliment the 72" points. I know I could buy Marcway but I've never actually seen any, I can't get to the shop as I'm in London, and I'm reluctant to pay £8 for a set of plans.

Thanks for having a look though; it does show potential and brings it back to being more of a possibility than I'd originally thought thanks to the larger Peco points.

From the text and pictures on the same page I got the impression that the fiddle area is along the full length of the layout. So it was drawn as close to the original plan as I could get. Although, I was wondering how would this be operated, from the front for easy shunting or from behind for fiddling with stock but that would require to reach over the back scene for shunting? Two additional roads behind the platform in the scenic area would indeed add interest.

The additional point int the goods yard forming the loop was added just out of curiosity, if it would fit. Thinking about it, removing the point and leaving a piece of half dismantled track in the overgrowth, could be a nice little scene.

I wonder if 4 ft length for the traverser is long enough? With a class 33 and two 57ft Mk1 it looks like a tight fit, with two 63ft6in Mk1 the pure mathematics say it wouldn't fit. I've no idea how close 0-gauge stock couples, but, IMHO, adding a few inches would be a little bit more relaxing?

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Can anyone advise how the Peco points match up to "normal" point geometry - a basic C&L kit is for a B6 turnout.

I've measured a Peco template at approximately 1:7.6. and ..can anyone tell me how long a C&L B6 is? I think Peco are about 420mm

Archived