RMweb

BR(S) DEMU questions

KeithHC

I am in the process of doing some 3D designs at the moment but have a couple of questions that you may be able to answer for me.

Does anyone know the relevant radii’s of the restriction 0 roofs of the Hastings units especially the 3R Tadpole former 6S coaches.

Also does anyone know the radius of the front of the 3D Oxted units.

Or does anyone know of any drawings that show the dimensions. I have the general layouts from the Barrowmore groups website. But that does not show the figures I could do with.

Many thanks

Keith

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, divibandit said:

Hi,

Bluebell Railway have just acquired a 3R set, if you can get there it's well worth a visit.

Steve

Typo!  It's a 3D set.  Except it's a 2D set.  There's no centre car.  HTH.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Phatbob said:

Typo!  It's a 3D set.  Except it's a 2D set.  There's no centre car.  HTH.

Ex-207202/102 'Brighton Royal Pavilion'! 

Remember it in Connex livery thumping through South Croydon many mornings as I walked to school. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Being in the process of converting Playcraft Mk1s to a 6B I have been wondering the same thing. Peering at photos in Michael Welch's Southern DEMUs book suggests that the "shoulders" of the Hastings roof are similar to those of a Hampshire unit (presumably normal Mk1 profile). On a Hampshire unit, the central panel of the cab front appears to be the same width as the rubbing plate but on the Hastings unit it seems to be narrower, so the central roof arc also appears to be correspondingly shorter but of similar radius to the normal Mk1. Consequently I have removed a few mm from the centreline of the Playcraft roof to get the (inside-out) bodysides to Hastings gauge.

I have considered an Oxted unit but do not currently have enough Playcraft door sections.

• Agree 1