RMweb

Building the Peco TT:120 Signal Box

Jeff Smith

The laser cut sheets are very fine indeed.  Care has to be taken to separate the parts, usually two tiny corners left un-cut, very sharp knife needed.

The instruction sheet is just a diagrammatic building sequence.  There are no written instructions - I guess it is assumed that you have built and painted this type of kit before.  I am using a mix of PVA and gel type super glue.  Paint needs to be thin to allow the brick courses to show through.  I am finishing in standard GWR colours Stone 1 and 3 and white for window frames.  For the brick I have so far applied Kislev Flesh from the Citadel range.  Also from that range Ratskin Flesh is a good match for Stone 3.  Stone 1 I've yet to find.  Citadel acrylics are available from War Hammer shops or on line.  To make painting easier some parts need to be painted before assembly.

IMG_2138.JPG.9b5a249c0177ad4d496903fc3dca5332.JPGIMG_2143.JPG.40e3d4a47b3d8b1bc3c166b2292b57a2.JPG

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Issue 2 of the Hornby TT:120 Club magazine has an article about building the station kit.

There's a Peco video on Youtube on building the goods shed.

• Thanks 1

OK, finished now.  I wasn't measuring time but probably around 10 hours.  Pictured below on my P4 platform beside a Mikes Models GWR station lamp (they are actually vertical despite the camera distortion).  I did fit a support under the roof between walls to keep them parallel.  A tip for painting thin ply like this is to paint both sides at the same time to reduce the tendency to bend - this still happened with the roof panels.  The roof base that sticks out past the tiles actually represents the gutters so I rounded off the outside corners.  I added the gutter downpipes using 0.035" styrene rod and the window safety bars with 0.020" brass wire - these are approximately the right sizes for a 4" down pipe and 2" rail.  I found the most difficult assemblies were the four chimney sides and the stairs which are six identical pieces sandwiched together.

Most parts need to be painted before assembly - unlike a plastic model they will still stick together, I mainly used white PVA which grabs quite quickly.  I have at last, and by chance, found a great adhesive for clear plastic - Loctite Vinyl, Fabric and Plastic which dries fast and clear.  Colour scheme basically as per GWR.org and links including the preserved Highley box which the model is based on.  I use acrylic paints almost exclusively but Stone Nos 1 and 3 aren't available so I've had to be creative.

Stone No 1 - couldn't find anything close to the GWR.org examples so used Humbrol BR Cream - sadly now discontinued, as are all the Humbrol acrylic Rail Colours!  The GWR switched to cream and chocolate so in this case the painters must have run out of Stone No1!

Stone No 3 - Citadel Ratskin Flesh, a very good match.

White - Model Master.

Bricks - Citadel Kislev Flesh.  Contrast darker brick colour for spalled bricks, Citadel Cadian Fleshtone (this would also serve as a faded Stone No 3).

Concrete - Citadel Flayed One Flesh.

Roof - Vallejo Black Grey base with Vallejo Neutral Grey dry brushed for contrast.

Handrails and window safety bars - Vallejo Black Grey.

Chocolate - Vallejo Chocolate Brown.  Doors, stair treads, platform and battery box.

My just completed layout is O-16.5 so this is quite a change - it is quite amazing how small this model is (big for N-gaugers though).  I must take my hat off to the designer, this is an incredibly well thought out kit.  I'm looking forward to doing the others in the series but have a feeling that this is the most fiddley and difficult - not really a novice kit.

IMG_2160.JPG.d56ea03eada6a5c7e0881b98b923e3e5.JPG

IMG_2161.JPG.49cc92758dd5424611b970e75b74f345.JPG

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

Excellent Jeff - and thanks for sharing it here too.  Must admit I’m expecting mine to take me about three weeks when I get round to it: 10 hours is impressive.  First impressions when I opened the packet were very encouraging, so it’s good to know the design is as good as it looks.  Thanks, Keith.

• 1 month later...