Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Howard Martin Avalon Line & NGSouthWest

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Howard Martin sadly passed away yesterday after a long fight with health issues. 
Howard was former Chairman of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association, Secretary of the Small & Delightful Railway Group and proprietor of Avalon Line Models. 
To many his enduring contribution to the hobby will be the 25 Narrow Gauge South West exhibitions. NGSW, or simply Shepton as it was known was in a league of its own with Howard as Ringmaster. The hall changed shape each year, Howard’s foot ruler had only 9 or 11 inches depending on who you listened to, yet it always worked. Indeed many would have been worried if it hadn’t been mildly chaotic at set up. The show was a group effort of the Small & Delightful group who encompass a number of brilliant modellers and characters but led by Howard, well sort of led. 
The show was pure narrow gauge in atmosphere, no one really knew how it worked out, it just did and was a highlight of February whatever the weather. 
Howard and his mate Barrie supported many other shows and I always found time to matter over the stand or plonk down in a chair and chat, lovely bloke.
Howard will be missed greatly but many of us will cherish those shows memories so intrinsically linked to him for many years to come. 

Thanks Howard 😀

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

Incredibly sad news, although not completely surprising given all of the health vicissitudes that dear lovely Howard bore with such fortitude and good humour over so many years. Howard was without doubt one of the nicest and most clever of human beings that it was possible to meet and it was a real privilege to have known him. Small and Delightful, a witty play on the initials of some other railway that passed through Shepton Mallet, was such a pleasure to be part of on so very many levels. I went to every one with the books (missed one year when I went to Utrecht with Iain Rice - but the stand still went with George) and it really was the most fantastic event, packed full of brilliant modelling and brilliant people. Aside from the trains there were the fabulous cakes in Flo’s bistro, but most of all the fantastic interaction between Howard, Barrie, Alan, Roger, John and all of the other great people who created and presented the show year after year. Huge amounts of West Country ribaldry (Barrie!!) which was all set against Howard’s implacable “Northen-ness”. But through all the joking  it was always clear that everyone held Howard in very high esteem and with huge affection. There is so much more that could, and no doubt will be, said of Howard. He was an incredibly talented man on so very many levels, who will be in many people’s thoughts and remain forever in our memories. Oh this is such sad news, goodbye lovely Howard…..

Simon Castens

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

A sad loss. As other have said he did loads for narrow gauge modelling,

I was going to write more, and might yet, but for now I'll just refer you to the tribute I wrote after the last Small & Delighful Show

HOWARD MARTIN Tribute

Paul Martin

EDM Models

http://www.ngtrains.com

My 0n3 Layout - The Brymston Railroad

My Blog

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Paul & Simon perfectly describe what was one of the nicest shows on the exhibition calendar. It was a fixture in my diary for many years, Howard being kind enough to invite Phil Copleston & myself to show the 2mm narrow gauge flag.   We'd see Howard at ExpoNG in October, he'd ask "Coming to the show?" We'd reply "yes, usual arrangements?" He'd reply in the affirmative and that was it.  Just seemed to happen.   No doubt some hard work went in from Howard and the team to get everything set up.   RIP Howard.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A very large number of people said goodbye to Howard Martin at the Mendip crematorium today. It was a sad but fitting event, and we all learned a little more about him through recollections from the Celebrant, his elder brother John, The Lions Club  and his great friend Barrie Baker. The piece of music which played us all out was the "match of the day" theme, which felt uplifting and appropriate. 

Afterwards we met up at Cranmore Station for refreshments provided by the station's caterers. There were all done to a very high standard of presentation and quality, the like of which Howard would have thoroughly approved. Also included was the opportunity to take a train ride up and down the line on Ian Stoate's DMU. It was nice to be able to talk a little with Howard's family and meet his University friends, together with remembering Howard and conversing with familiar friends and faces from the hobby community.

I thought I'd share some photographs here to mark Howard's passing, including some personal shots,  which appear with the permission of his family.

First off is a photograph of Howard and his elder brother John together when they were in the Scouting movement.

IMG_5490.jpg.adcf68eac5617381c72b561f8342e96f.jpg

On the platform after the train journey, a first class collection of Narrow Gauge modelling characters who I am sure many of you will recognise; from left, Terry, John, Barrie, Norman and Paul.

IMG_5482.jpg.fa0ba348737dee23266bbc7f32a7aa8e.jpg

Paul very kindly took my phone and included me in the group:

IMG_5485.jpg.7edf55a08a200f9ae1326df68ae38c53.jpg

And here is John talking to  Ian in the cab after our return. The DMU was very smartly turned out and produced suitable clag at appropriate points in the journey - which brought back a few memories!

IMG_5473.jpg.7262e3ce96170469ff9a12f654fd2dd9.jpg

Thank you to Barrie, Howard's family and everyone else who made today possible, a sad but never to be forgotten afternoon.

And farewell dear Howard as you continue on your journey.

IMG_5489.jpg.28ff1885d601bd9cf02186a1856d0050.jpg

Simon

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Simon.

I remember when Howard came to one of our 7mmNGA events at Mickleover (Derby). He had bought the layout " Crackington Quay" the day before and had never operated the layout. As he was vertically challenged, we had to find him a strong enough box to stand on so he could see over the top of the backscene !

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A very fitting tribute to the late Howard Martin who was always so supportive in anything NG Like Howard Clarke (Nobby) a great influence on my modelling.

The Small and Delightful exhibition was like Warley in that I never missed it and had the pleasure in Exhibiting there on a number of times.

As I remember once with Ecclestone Manor a micro Gn15 layout and also Alstone Quay a 0.16.15 layout which when I retired the layout Howard purchased it from me.

Martin also gave a lot of support to Steve Bennett who was one of the pioneers of resin models especially in 09 and Gn15 

We must no forget also all the work he did with 7mm NG Association being the chairman for many years.

Gone but definitely not forgotten.

I hope the exhibition goes well and weather permitting etc I will try and come along.

Terry Robinson 

Stafford Railway Circle