Any ideas what this could be

neal

I regularly take a circular walk around Stoke Bruerne with the dog, ending up at the Boat or Navigation for a drink.

For more than 13 years I have walked past this piece of metal which lies undisturbed, rusting away at the side of the embankment which carried the SMJR between Towcester and Olney, around 1/2 mile west of where this crossed the WCML at Roade.

I have often wondered what this could be.  Common sense might suggest that this is some form of culvert/drainage outlet, however in my mind it does resemble a firebox throat plate.  The upper surface whilst heavily corroded does appear to have some blackened (possibly burned) marking.

It could well be from an agricultural machine (maybe traction engine), but is quite large - some 18 inches across.

I would welcome your thoughts, romantically I would love that this might have been from a passing 4F, cast aside when the branch was mothballed…

0CF6F0BF-1780-4084-8221-908B98BE5D17.jpeg.170cf6340e2e10993d3eb3e33ca5a1f0.jpeg

Neal

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

If not from a loco or other rolling stock, possibly a bell-mouth for drainage or cables? Came across several of these in the New Cross Gate area when working on the East London Line project - believe one or two are still in use around there. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Agreed,  a  deflector  plate.  They  fit  into  the  fire  hole  opening  at  the  top  and  deflect  secondary  air.

These  often  distort  in  use  and  can   fall  into  the  fire  in  which  case  it  would  be  fished  out  and  possibly  slung  over  the  side.

Pete

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

As above, except we called them baffle plates.

A bit of a story, the BR 9Fs have/had quite a shallow firebox. When a new baffle plate is/was fitted it being quite long it makes it more difficult for the fireman to reach the front of the box with coal due to the downward slope of the baffle plate. Apparently next to the shed exit roads for sheds that had an allocation of 9Fs could be found a few brand new baffle plates discarded by frustrated firemen.

Whether this is true or an urban myth I don’t know but certainly have witnessed first hand my fireman having difficulty firing around said new baffle plate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for your thoughts. It is in such bad shape I don’t think it’s worth salvaging as a souvenir, I will leave it be for others to enjoy and watch it’s history slowly decay…

Neal

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I doubt it, but discarded loco parts that caused frustration to firemen and could be got at are a slightly different category, and can potentially be slung off the loco anywhere, especially out in the countryside where nobody in authority is going to call you to account for it!  You can envisage a fireman under pressure losing patience with the thing, to quote Popeye the Sailor Man 'I've had all I can stands, Olive, an' I can't stands no more, ke ke ke ke ke'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

One of the problems with disposing of the deflector / baffle was it increased the tendency for spark throwing, and if you were reported as having started a lineside fire, the foreman would be waiting when you came back on shed and would check for the presence or otherwise of the offending item. If absent, the crew had some explaining to do.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 11 months later...