Short circuit in point control??

55F

Finished operating session....all OK.  Two days later......none of the points workjust a buzz......  H&M points, peco switches, Peco electrofrog points.....what could go wrong??  Thoughts please.

• RMweb Gold

Possibly the PSU supplying the points has failed.

Any more details?

(Diagrams, descriptions, parts used...)

Kev.

• Agree 1

PSU, Failed passing contact switch  conducting 24/7. shed flooding to the ceiling and swamping the electrics, transient Gremlins.  Most likely Gremlins.  I had one, three sodding weeks it hid from me,  You could arrange an exorcism. 

Seriously we need more details of the set up, Is the fault limited to the points circuit   Is the PSU fed by the same transformer as the track, Do the trains don't run a fault on the track power side could be robbing the PSU of power.  Does the buzzing happen all the time (failed switch)  Or does the buzzing only happen when the points try to throw (, lack of power failed PSU)   More info needed,   

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like a switch has died. You don't mention using a CDU (Capacitor Discharge Unit), having one in circuit prevents point motors being on permanently and fatally.

• Agree 1

Many thanks for the replies.  Just to confirm I have not experienced this before and as I said the layout was operating perfectly,,,,,,,well may be not perfect! At switch on yesterday the problem became apparrent. I do use a CDU, the buzz is only when a point is operated.  All running track sections work fine apart [of course] from sections supplied by a point which wont move!!!  

Should I try disconnecting the selection switches in turn?

Again thanks for your interest and time.

Sounds like the CDU has failed.  The point should bang across if he CDU is working , The capacitor stores electricity and discharges very rapidly with a lot of amps in a short period.  Enough to make the point motor jump out of its skin, but such a short pulse that it doesn't have time to get hot.   Previously before CDUs people just used the uncontrolled output from the transformer.   Can you disconnect the CDU and power the system from the uncontrolled 'output from the controller.   If it works direct from the controller suspect the CDU.

• 2 weeks later...

Please forgive me for resurrecting this topic..............I am really stuck with this problem and just don't know what to do next.  I have tried taking the CDU out of circuit; makes no difference, have tried  different PSU; makes no difference, I have looked carefully at the wiring on the point motors [SEEP not H&M] and the wiring on the PECO switches.....no evident wires touching each other.  The track is fine but the the points make a very feint noise [and movement] but no throw.

Suggestions please, if you have time, as what to try next?

Grateful thanks for any ideas leading to the arrest of this problem!!

55f

• RMweb Premium

OK, hopefully you can work out how to do some voltage tests.

Set it to Voltage range and try a couple of things.

Try measuring the input voltage - probably AC and should be between 16 and 20 volts.

If successful try measuring the output, this should be DC and probably between 20 - 28 volts.

Try that, if lost on you, please advise. Include model number of your multimeter.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 55F said:

Please forgive me for resurrecting this topic..............I am really stuck with this problem and just don't know what to do next.  I have tried taking the CDU out of circuit; makes no difference, have tried  different PSU; makes no difference, I have looked carefully at the wiring on the point motors [SEEP not H&M] and the wiring on the PECO switches.....no evident wires touching each other.  The track is fine but the the points make a very feint noise [and movement] but no throw.

Suggestions please, if you have time, as what to try next?

Grateful thanks for any ideas leading to the arrest of this problem!!

55f

Hi 55f. I'm sorry to hear of your continuing points problem. I know from bitter experience how frustrating these troubles can be. I'm not familiar with Seep or any other modern point motor equipment as I'm a bit of a Neanderthal, running ancient Dublo and Marklin 3 rail. The 60/70 year old points function perfectly on 16v AC

.However here's my advice on fault finding

Select one point as a victim and totally disconnect it from your point wiring system.

Take a pair of flying leads from your CDU and, using them to power your selected point see if it functions correctly/noiselessly pinging left to right as it should. (NB select one wire as common return and briefly touch the other lead onto the point's wiring terminals)

If you now have perfectly functioning points I would look in the area of your common return wiring system.

I did a quick google of ''seep point motors buzzing'' and it would seem that other folks have had similar problems. eg  https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/157157-seep-point-motor-problems/

There's also a few youtube instructionals which may help you

I hope you eventually get sorted. Good luck, Rich

• Like 1