Magazine Exchange

Hi All

A very useful resource for modelling information is in the title above for those who may not have heard of it. I have recently listed over a 100 MRJ magazines ranging from £1.49 to £2.49.

At the moment I've only listed issues from 6 to 139, but still have up to issue 235 to add shortly.

Here's the Link https://www.magazineexchange.co.uk/cw/model-railway

Dave

• Thanks 1

Not exactly a user friendly site.  It's completely unusable on my Windows 10 laptop running my usual browser, firefox.  I found I can only read the top half of most of the  pages, there's a large black pop-up obstructing the bottom half, listing the various categories of magazines that they deal with, contact info etc - and I can't see any means of closing that to see the rest of the page, its submit button or whatever. 

The problem goes away with the Chrome though.

I used to buy a few magazines (mostly R/C aircraft) but the last few I bought never arrived and I was unable to get a reply from the chap who runs it. 

I've sold several hundred magazines (also R/C aircraft!) on ebay over the last year. It's a fairly easy way to shift things with residual value that have outlived their usefulness. Just need to remember to allow for the fees before listing too cheaply. I sell at £4.75 including postage, but after eBay has taken their cut, I've paid for the envelope and post, I get about £1.20. Still worth it as I started out with well over 1000 to sell.

2 minutes ago, DaveSmith said:

I used to buy a few magazines (mostly R/C aircraft) but the last few I bought never arrived and I was unable to get a reply from the chap who runs it. 

I've sold several hundred magazines (also R/C aircraft!) on ebay over the last year. It's a fairly easy way to shift things with residual value that have outlived their usefulness. Just need to remember to allow for the fees before listing too cheaply. I sell at £4.75 including postage, but after eBay has taken their cut, I've paid for the envelope and post, I get about £1.20. Still worth it as I started out with well over 1000 to sell.

Ebay does work (I've sold two old mags this weekend) but it's extremely tedious putting up the listings, they only sell very slowly and you have to keep the mags tidily filed in such a way that you can go straight to them when they do sell.  Whether it's worth all the bother is another matter.  Not a good way of freeing up the space they occupy.  Some magazines are much more popular than others - there doesn't seem to be much interest in Modern Railways for example.

The ebay fees and postage (including ebay fees on the postage) do make old magazines rather expensive to the purchaser for something worth only a quid to the seller.   

• Like 1

I agree completely - I still have quite a few boxes of magazines I haven't listed yet and from time to time consider taking them to a local charity shop as there is a fair amount of effort involved in getting the magazines out of storage boxes in the loft, addressing envelopes and queuing in the post office. I'll probably have another think about it at the end of the year.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Not exactly a user friendly site.  It's completely unusable on my Windows 10 laptop running my usual browser, firefox.  I found I can only read the top half of most of the  pages, there's a large black pop-up obstructing the bottom half, listing the various categories of magazines that they deal with, contact info etc - and I can't see any means of closing that to see the rest of the page, its submit button or whatever. 

The problem goes away with the Chrome though.

Tried browsing the site via desktop PC with Windows 11 and Edge browser. If I select a magazine, it gives a list of the years, but nothing happens if you click on any of them. I have to right-click on the button and select "open in new tab"  (or window) to see anything. 

5 hours ago, DaveSmith said:

I agree completely - I still have quite a few boxes of magazines I haven't listed yet and from time to time consider taking them to a local charity shop as there is a fair amount of effort involved in getting the magazines out of storage boxes in the loft, addressing envelopes and queuing in the post office. I'll probably have another think about it at the end of the year.

Your local High Steet charity shop won't be able to shift them and would probaby just pulp them.  If you are happy to give them away, I would suggest either

• the Bluebell Railway which has (Had ?  not been there for a while) a BG used as a shop with cardboard boxes full of old mags and books they sell in aid of preservation or
  • North Norfolk Railway, Weybourne station, doing much the same

I got to use a platform trolley for its design purpose when I last took some stuff in  😀 

No doubt there are other lines doing the same, those that don't probably just lack the storage space.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The Rother Valley Railway  also sell secondhand magazines on line  - Magazine shop  Link

Had success finding a copy of Model Trains International from them, although not listed.

Edited by 2E Sub Shed
Spelling !

There is an easy way to look at mine or other peoples magazine lists as follows. 2nd paragraph.

I now have it off to a fine art and can list mags at a rate of one every 15secs. I did have problems to start with my password and rang and spoke the the owner of MagEx and he sorted it out very quickly. He did tell me that this is not their main business and are not dependent on selling magazines. Which would explain why he doesn’t always pick up on the phone.

Use the link I posted which takes you to all the types of Railway magazines. For mine select model Railway journal and go to issue 6 (this is my first listing) this should be only mine so click on my initials DJB in blue and this will load up all of my magazines I have for sale. The same should also work on anyone’s name.

I now have up to issue 135 listed but with gaps.

Dave

Edited by kada33

15 seconds to list certainly beats ebay hands down.  but it presumably takes a lot longer to list an issue they haven't already defined?

As they seem to need  a good photo and a list of contents.

I think it would probably now let me buy a mag as long as I don't log on using firefox.   

However selling seems to need registration under a different user id for some reason and seems problematic.  

Michael I have a selling and buying accounts and you are correct in that you have have different email addresses for buying and selling.

I have 3MRJ’s that aren’t listed so I shall to scan the front covers and upload them with their contents lists.

Dave

Edited by kada33
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2023 at 22:41, kada33 said:

Michael I have a selling and buying accounts and you are correct in that you have have different email addresses for buying and selling.

I have 3MRJ’s that aren’t listed so I shall to scan the front covers and upload them with their contents lists.

Dave

Now got it working (I think) and some mags listed, thanks