Minneapolis Fork (developing Chicago Fork)

Before I got distracted by Eagle Street on the New Orleans Water and Sewerage Board Railroad (Micro Model Railway Dispatch Spring 2023) I was working on ideas for a Micro inspired by the Plymouth Industrial Park Railroad that surrounded me at my old workplace (see the map below). I was going to use Prof. Klyzlr's Chicago Fork as the basis of the layout.

52236519228_efb04e5ff6_b.jpg

The Dispatch and the article about the NOSWB RR has now been published, others have taken an interest in using my research in their own layout, so I've pretty much got it out of my system.  I started to revisit the old Plymouth Industrial Park research.

There are, as you've come to expect from me, some blog posts about it already.

https://smallmodelrailwaylayouts.blogspot.com/2023/04/minneapolis-fork.html

https://smallmodelrailwaylayouts.blogspot.com/2023/04/minneapolis-fork-part-2-developing.html

Ian

• Like 7

On 03/04/2023 at 01:53, Ian Holmes said:

The Dispatch and the article about the NOSWB RR has now been published, others have taken an interest in using my research in their own layout, so I've pretty much got it out of my system.

Glad to see that you haven't got O Scale out of your system, though!! 🤣🤣👍

• Like 3

Very encouraging to read your last blog there, Ian. 👍

'Modern' O scale buildings that look worthy of rail service do end up being long objects, even if they're low relief. I had a 'friend of a friend' do some laser-cut thin MDF 'blanks' for me as almost a scratch-aid for some of my industrial buildings. Just two units together are 46" long!! With a third next to them, slightly recessed, the whole building is 69" long - getting beyond true Micro Layout dimensions!!

20200405_160711.jpg.9d48c26015e44f8eb7c49f8a8f1ea230.jpg

20211031_191853.jpg.d01859a4747108eeea5df923600393bf.jpg

Edit - the MDF has been braced with ordinary 2x1 & 1x1 softwood, using lengths that were as straight as possible!

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 6

On 28/04/2023 at 12:10, F-UnitMad said:

Do tell us more about it's construction! What glue for the plasticard, so it doesn't warp, distort or melt, but does actually stick??!!??

52860481495_9b15651704_b.jpg

It’s a fairly simple set up. Nothing too clever. The structure is 35” x 10” (890mm x 250mm) . The sheet of 6mm foam core was 20” x 30”  (610mm x 760mm). So I had to graft 5 extra inches onto the length. You can see the joint was reinforced with a strip of paper on either side. Once the board was framed with 20mm strips of 6mm  foam, it was strong, flat and square. I used Gorilla Glue woodworking glue to glue the foam core and Devon contact cement for fixing the styrene to the foam core.  The only other thing I did was rough up the backs of the styrene sheets before gluing them to the board. I’m still a bit concerned that the ridged nature of the upper section of the building means that there’s not enough surface to surface contact for glue faces. But it seems OK at the moment.

Ian

Edited by Ian Holmes
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...