Using AV in Exhibition Layouts?

I’ve started a separate discussion about exhibition layout design but I have an early decision to make: 

Should I integrate an AV screen into the layout structure to explain the ‘what if’ story?

The screen would play a slide show with maps, images, video, animations etc.  explaining why the station was saved in favour of another.  Subtitles would take the viewer through the story.  The aims would be to get punters interested in the layout, spark conversation and give the impression that I knew what I was on about.

I’ve only seen it done once before so I don’t want to waste hours on something that won’t get any attention.

Any thoughts?

• RMweb Premium

Honestly, I think people make too much of backstories and explanations.  We sometimes see reams of text on here for small and thoroughly conventional layouts.  If you do do it, keep it brief and make it clear where your fiction diverges from reality.  Highlight features that can actually be found on the layout.

IMO an explanation of what is happening on the layout adds more interest for the viewer, but obviously is trickier as it needs to be synchronised with the trains.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Thanks.  Valuable feedback.  The idea partly comes from experience taking my son to exhibitions.  Youngsters seem to expect more than just a well presented layout.  Also a conversation opener for other modellers. (I would probably have to be ready to be challenged and tested by more knowledgeable people).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I always try an read any material that exhibitors post on the layout - interesting to see what they think they are portraying and usually helpful. I am not sure that I have seen many others do so, though.

Properly done and as suggested above, an AV display could be just as, or more, interesting. Worth a try, I would have thought

• Like 1

Must say I prefer a simple display, that I can either skip over, or read, or look at, I like maps, I find an AV display tedious to watch, if you want to study a particular photo you have watch the whole thing again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Video displays for what is going on can be very effective in my opinion. Although I haven't peered behind the scenes on the few layouts I've seen this done, I assume that operators are working to a timetable with a sped-up clock (the clock is included in the display), and quite likely they have a duplicate screen in front of them so they know what they are meant to be doing.

As background information, I think it would only work if you have managed to create what looks like a documentary of the history of the line, with "old film footage", rather than just a slide show. I can imagine a pretend documentary might be very effective indeed, but it might take more time and effort to make than the layout itself, and there is always the risk that it will draw people's attention away from the layout, which probably isn't the aim.

Edited to replace AV with "video". I really don't want any audio at an exhibition. If it is loud enough for viewers to hear what is said in a noisy exhibition hall, it is almost certainly loud enough for people watching and operating adjacent layouts to hear an irritating noise.

Edited by Jeremy C

Personally I wouldn’t go for AV. Adding AV can be a very good thing for the visitor if done well. The simple reason I haven’t done AV on any of my layouts is that it would leave me with a lot more delicate and valuable items to transport and to remember to take with me. I always try to have as small a number of “bits” to transport as possible.  For instance my control panels are always built into the layout rather than an add on. The fewer separate items the lower the chance of leaving something important at home. Even the best of us manage to turn up at an exhibition missing an essential part from time to time. For instance Hills of the North at Taunton. I once managed to forget the supports for the lights (luckily just a couple of pieces of timber with a couple of holes so we were able to make a couple of new supports on site at the exhibition). It’s easily done. Adding AV would add a few more bits and pieces to make sure you haven’t forgotten.

• Like 1

I remember many (many) years ago seeing one of Rev W Awdrys layouts that had an audio commentary where the train operations were synchronised to an audio cassette telling the story.

If you wanted to incorporate technology, I would use some of the freely available micro video cameras and hide a couple in the layout to provide a view you cant see as a regular viewer. eg looking along the line from a platform at the approaching trains.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The Oxford club and its members were associated with taped audio commentaries over 50 years ago — Bossington (currently being prepared for a return, according to a fairly recent RM), Rewley Road and Winton (the latter by John Pomroy). The commentaries were said to be popular with visitors; how fellow exhibitors felt about them was never said.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• Administrators

Does it need to be moving? I always added display boards to my layouts with photos and short captions, and some people seemed to like them.

Moving video though, would be a distraction from the action on the layout. Just talk to the people looking at the model and answer their questions. Truth is, they really aren't that interested in the back story, or even of the constructional details. If they were, they would read the entry in the show guide, and most people don't.

And never, ever, use sound. By lunchtime on Saturday, every exhibitor within earshot will hate you with a passion. That's not conjecture...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

No audio but the best visual/video display I have seen in connection with a layout was at the Liverpool NSW ( a Sydney suburb) show in 2004 on a tramway layout.  One of the trams carried a miniature video camera in the front end and you could watch its progress round the layout on a tv screen ('video') display by the layout.  Fascinating to watch at the same time the tram negotiating the layout - with full urban scenery and to compare it with the simultaneous 'driver's eye view.   that definitely brought something different to the way of seeing a layout.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I can see the attraction to younger viewers who are more digital than analogue minded. I have had some fixed displays on the front of my last 2 layouts explaining where reality and fiction differ and I would say 20% of people read them and of those 50% then ask a question related to what they have read.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, 37114 said:

I can see the attraction to younger viewers who are more digital than analogue minded..

I agree, well beyond my skills, but if you had a touchscreen that was interactive eg turned building lights on, set branch shuttle train running, it would get younger visitors involved.

My micro layout is simply a circle of track but it is operated by visitors pressing a button.

• Like 1