The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Non-League Wheeltappers

whart57

I don't know whether it is Covid or whether the top divisions are pricing themselves out of the "dad and lads" market but attendances in non-league are increasing quite healthily. Bay's gates have been double what they were getting pre-Covid, though being in a higher league has something to do with that. More noticeable is that the Sussex derbies involving Horsham, Lewes and Bognor have all had crowds of well over the thousand mark, and this is in tier seven. Crawley in League Two have had some gates that were no bigger than that.

• Like 2

well four wins on the bounce and four clean sheets for the first time in nearly forty  years sees the latics to  its first top ten finish for a very long time  i this is unsworths crap football i will take it all day long the futures bright the futures blue and tangerine !

On 19/04/2023 at 09:08, whart57 said:

I don't know whether it is Covid or whether the top divisions are pricing themselves out of the "dad and lads" market but attendances in non-league are increasing quite healthily. Bay's gates have been double what they were getting pre-Covid, though being in a higher league has something to do with that. More noticeable is that the Sussex derbies involving Horsham, Lewes and Bognor have all had crowds of well over the thousand mark, and this is in tier seven. Crawley in League Two have had some gates that were no bigger than that.

Weston-super-Mare Southern League Premier South champions, also tier 7,  had an attendance of 1490 for their final home game.

The next challenge will be to stay in National League South. Local West Country derbies v Bath City, Taunton Town, Yeovil Town, and Torquay United should see some more big gates next season,

cheers 

17 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Happy day in Wrexham! 😄

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/65349586

It's the other end of the National League where some strange things are happening. Scunthorpe and Yeovil were in the Championship no more than a dozen years ago, now they are dropping into the regional leagues. Torquay is also likely to drop down as Maidenhead, three points above them, have a superior goal difference going into the last games. Given that you do have to worry for Rochdale, could they drop straight through as well? Hartlepool and Crawley have recently experienced the National League so whichever of the two join Rochdale on the down escalator, the fans and management know what's coming, they are likely to adapt. Will Rochdale?

On 23/04/2023 at 15:06, whart57 said:

It's the other end of the National League where some strange things are happening. Scunthorpe and Yeovil were in the Championship no more than a dozen years ago, now they are dropping into the regional leagues. Torquay is also likely to drop down as Maidenhead, three points above them, have a superior goal difference going into the last games. Given that you do have to worry for Rochdale, could they drop straight through as well? Hartlepool and Crawley have recently experienced the National League so whichever of the two join Rochdale on the down escalator, the fans and management know what's coming, they are likely to adapt. Will Rochdale?

From reading local posts from dale fans many including former manager Keith Hill they have not yet reached rock bottom & may like scunthorpe drop another tier before they steady the ship .they are supposedly a fan run club but reality is that a cabal is running them very badly rumours of Ameon Dumphy coming back to save them .whatever happens its going to be a steep learning curve for them .

Now that the final issues are being settled, should we have a call out for those clubs who are entering uncharted territory next season? I'd like to nominate Broadbridge Heath FC who have won the Southern Combination (formerly Sussex County League) and all being well will be in the Isthmian League next season (Not sure whether it will be South East or South Central division, could be either). This is a club that was in Intermediate football not that long ago.

Any others worth a mention?

• Like 1

On 02/05/2023 at 08:43, whart57 said:

Now that the final issues are being settled, should we have a call out for those clubs who are entering uncharted territory next season? I'd like to nominate Broadbridge Heath FC who have won the Southern Combination (formerly Sussex County League) and all being well will be in the Isthmian League next season (Not sure whether it will be South East or South Central division, could be either). This is a club that was in Intermediate football not that long ago.

Any others worth a mention?

AVROs, in Oldham, won their step4/step5 playoff (they were 2nd behind Vauxhall Motors), Tier 9 to Tier 8, to reach the Northern Premier League Div 1 West; not so long ago they were playing in the Manchester League, which is below the football pyramid.

It wasn't remarked upon much at the time, but Oldham's first home fixture in the National League back in August was against Dorking Wanderers. So a club that had spent the last thirty years descending from the Premier League met a club that started at the bottom of the Crawley and District League in 1999. Must be rare to have such vastly different club histories.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As my grandson recently signed for one of our local "junior" clubs, I have begun attending a number of junior matches and have very much enjoyed them.  For those outwith Scotland who may not be acquainted with the term "junior football", it has nothing to do with age or experience - the word "junior" is used merely to distinguish it from "senior" football.  Governed by the Scottish Junior Football Association, It is in fact the sixth tier of Scottish football and its better clubs, particularly those in the West of Scotland Football league, can certainly rival those in the lower senior leagues in terms of both performance and crowds.  Darvel, who just recently humbled League 1 Montrose and Premier Division Aberdeen in the cup is a "junior" side.  Basically in Scotland we have the seniors, the juniors and the amateurs, each with their own governing body.  I don't think that the misleading term "non-league" is used nearly as much up here as it is in England.

Anyway, the team my grandson has signed for plays in the Midland League and I think it's fair to say that currently it's not one of the top junior sides in the country.  It has a neat wee ground where a mug of bovril (with or without pepper) is £1, a steak pie £1.50, and as a pensioner it costs me £3 to get in, so it's not an expensive way of spending an afternoon. Style of play, as is traditional with the juniors, can best be described as robust, as is the language used extensively by both players and spectators, and you can be absolutely certain that each and every player on the pitch is giving his all.  And come this Saturday I shall be there, spending a very pleasant afternoon sipping my mug of bovril, hoping my grandson is given a few minutes gametime (as the youngest and newest member of the team he spends most of his time warming the subs bench) and rejoicing in the fact that I shall be well removed from the shenanigans going on down in London.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations to Halifax and Ascot who came out top at the non-league day at Wembley. And commiserations to Gateshead and Newport Pagnell. I presume that Ascot won't be able to defend their win next season owing to promotion from their step 5 league.

Edited by whart57
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

new £1million pound pitch going down at Boundary park 96% grass 4% synthetic new drainage and fibre sub surface 60% of seeding done then  synthetic grass being stitched into place  before final seeding. hopefully beds in  fast  

FxtdfNaXwAEf73j.jpg

• Like 1

Well, we at Stalybridge have new majority shareholders, the previous MS having sold out. New manager as well, formerly at Wythemshawe Town. Let's hope the tale of the last 20 years of steady decline can be reversed!

On another note, another local club has revealed its matchday prices for next season; they will be charging £14 for adults and £9 for concessions. This is at tier 7; they are citing rising costs, for energy and stuff. It will be interesting to see where their attendances go. Just over 30 years ago, my wife and I (and Peanuts, of this forum😁) stood on the Chaddy End at Latics and watched Oldham beat Sheffield Wednesday to win the 2nd division for £4.50 each

1 hour ago, 62613 said:

Well, we at Stalybridge have new majority shareholders, the previous MS having sold out. New manager as well, formerly at Wythemshawe Town. Let's hope the tale of the last 20 years of steady decline can be reversed!

On another note, another local club has revealed its matchday prices for next season; they will be charging £14 for adults and £9 for concessions. This is at tier 7; they are citing rising costs, for energy and stuff. It will be interesting to see where their attendances go. Just over 30 years ago, my wife and I (and Peanuts, of this forum😁) stood on the Chaddy End at Latics and watched Oldham beat Sheffield Wednesday to win the 2nd division for £4.50 each

Adult ticket in the chaddy (when its open) for next season in NL step 5 £20in advance £24 pay on day .those who bought earlybird season tickets elsewhere in the ground are paying the equivalent of £14 per game which is pretty competative .

When I first went along to watch Herne Bay the entrance was three shillings (15p). Mind you getting into a First Division game (no Premier League then) only cost six shillings. And if you were lucky you could see the pitch ........

• 1 month later...

Very sad news for all at Roots Hall as they face a winding up petition in the highcourt tommorow wednesday  12 th with theyre  current meglomainiac owner still holding up a take over .reports today that water has been cut off due to non payment of bill which cant be good for the newly laid pitch .good luck to southend united fans from an oldham supporter who knows what you are going through hopefully you can find a descent owner like our " frank " to take you forward from your bad times 

1 hour ago, peanuts said:

Very sad news for all at Roots Hall as they face a winding up petition in the highcourt tommorow wednesday  12 th with theyre  current meglomainiac owner still holding up a take over .reports today that water has been cut off due to non payment of bill which cant be good for the newly laid pitch .good luck to southend united fans from an oldham supporter who knows what you are going through hopefully you can find a descent owner like our " frank " to take you forward from your bad times 

Not the first one! This has been going on for a while. Apparently the non - playing coaching staff haven't been paid for a while. The players actually struck at one point. I must admit, when the prices for OAFC early bird STs came out, I was sorely tempted, but not now. See how bridge start against Abbey Hey on Friday night.

3 hours ago, 62613 said:

Not the first one! This has been going on for a while. Apparently the non - playing coaching staff haven't been paid for a while. The players actually struck at one point. I must admit, when the prices for OAFC early bird STs came out, I was sorely tempted, but not now. See how bridge start against Abbey Hey on Friday night.

How are the new owners settling in at the bower bro 

40 minutes ago, peanuts said:

How are the new owners settling in at the bower bro 

Lots of positivity all round at the moment. No more sense of drift, like we've had over the last few years. Would be better to see at the end of September

28 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Lots of positivity all round at the moment. No more sense of drift, like we've had over the last few years. Would be better to see at the end of September

Sounds like us last year after Frank took over positivity all the way now 

A very sad site to see Roots Hall Southend looking in an almost abandoned state less than a month before the start of the season .14 professionals left at the club players and staff going unpaid for months under a transfer embargo and meglomainiac owner just got a 48 day exstention on the latest winding up order .do hope they survive no set of fans deserve to lose thier club due to bad owners   

Screenshot_20230714-192353_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 2

Isthmian League fixtures for 2023-24 have been released. Pre-season friendlies have of course already started and two wins out of two isn't bad. Who knows, maybe a return to the heights of the Premier Division may be possible.

• 2 weeks later...