Coupling conversion

MRE2

• RMweb Premium

I want to convert a Lima loco to Hornby Dublo type couplings. No, I'm not weird (most of the time) but I have large consists of Hornby Dublo wagons and want a bit more traction variety. I have a couple of Lima J50 locos which are ideal for the job, but I need to have Dublo type couplings on them.
The Lima couplings are easily removed, but the mounting points on the chassis are too low for even the flat Dublo coupling bars although the location is otherwise good. I am not sure if a cranked coupling bar would work (even if such a thing was available ?) so am wondering the best way to achieve the conversion. Any ideas or solutions ?

You cannot use NEM sockets for H/D or PECO couplings, the simplest solution would be to obtain a PECO coupling pack as it comes with a pin for pivot and you will need to pack the height with plastic sheet.

Richard

• Agree 1

Trix used to sell Dublo coupling adapters for triang stock that clip into the anchor for the hook - I've got an SR GUV around here somewhere with some on.

Also I Dublo'd up a Hornby 29 just by putting a coupling pivot on the top side of the mount for the tension lock....

5 hours ago, Captain Slough said:

Trix used to sell Dublo coupling adapters for triang stock that clip into the anchor for the hook - I've got an SR GUV around here somewhere with some on.

Also I Dublo'd up a Hornby 29 just by putting a coupling pivot on the top side of the mount for the tension lock....

Trix did not sell coupling adapters, PECO made and sold them.

Richard

My father in law used to cut off the tension lock loop from Lima couplings and drill through the stub and through the shortened shaft of a  Hornby Dublo coupling hook with the pivot end cut off and secure the two with a tiny nut and bolt, either 12BA or 14BA .  That said his 94XX chassis was replaced about 20 odd years ago when a Bachmann pannier chassis was fitted and was sold 5 years ago fitted with extra front coupling rod boss fitted wheels on the centre axle to give 6 wheel drive as it would sit on its unpowered centre wheels with the other 4 spinning uselessly even light engine.  That's the same chassis as the J50.     K's made a j50 body for a H/D 0-6-0T chassis. but its under scale length.  However the Lima J50 body fits the H/D 0-6-0T Chassis, and you can use the standard H/D front coupling,  you would need to drill and tap a new hole further back for the rear coupling fixing screw and lengthen the plastic centreing sleeve.   Then again the Horma or Limby J50 needs a fair chunk of lead  to shift a decent rake of H/D wagons, but I have 4 maybe 6 H/D chassis Triang Pannier body mongrels which manage 20 or so.

The Prairie is much easier.  They almost always had the front pony truck on the front and front one on the back from new.

DSCN0211.JPG

Edited by DCB