Mr Hobby Rivet GT70 Tool

Hi all,

I am looking for a riveting tool and I am considering purchasing a Mr Hobby Mr. Rivet Marking # GT70. Has anyone have any experience using one,  especially on an etched brass kit please?

Any suggestion on an alternative would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

48 minutes ago, N10 said:

Hi all,

I am looking for a riveting tool and I am considering purchasing a Mr Hobby Mr. Rivet Marking # GT70. Has anyone have any experience using one,  especially on an etched brass kit please?

Any suggestion on an alternative would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My late maternal grandfather was Mr Hobby.

I have a GW Models rivet press, and a double leaky lee press, but the tool I use most often when bashing out etched kit rivets is the London Road models gravity punch, that is much quicker than either of the fancy types.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Do you get consistent sized results? (genuine question)

Yes, adjust the end stop nut to ensure the distance it falls is consistent, and make sure its vertical so there is no loss through friction and its very consistent.

it wouldn't do for freehand marking of rivets in full thickness metal, but thats what i keep the GW press for.

Jon

• Like 1

Come up with a solution, and it appears to work well at no cost.

I used a masonry nail removing the washer component. I shaped the pointed end to the size I required, cut the head off the nail, and then placed it in my small drill press. I did a couple of trial goes, then set the depth locking nut on the drill press, bingo it works. As I am building a DJH 9F, the tender (F) has a lot of rivets (about 80) to punch in the coal storage area so just took my time. As the nail is made of very hard steel, I did not get any wear on the tip.

So I am happy now I can progress.

Thanks all

• Like 1