Mystery 3 rail track

sagaguy

Here`s one for you,i`ve been asked to identify this piece of pressed tinplate base track.Anyone have any ideas?.

Ray.

mystery track.jpg

mystery track 2.jpg

Edited by sagaguy
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

hmm, it's similar to Maerklin 1930s 3-rail track but not identical. The pressings and the centre rail mounts are similar, not identical, but the colour is wrong and so are the contacts for the 3rd rail ends. is the gauge 16.5mm or 16mm? if its 16mm it's definitely early Maerklin

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Captain Slough
  • Agree 1

yeah, Dublo and Maerklin 3-rail track is practically indistinguishable - exact same colours, exact same connections at the ends, only difference is the geometry, the printed branding, and the fact that the Maerklin sleepers are stamped to stand above the printed roadbed and the Dublo ones are flat and just printed on

• Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, sncf231e said:

I do not recognise it. Note that there were many manufacturers of 3-rail H0/00 gauge trains with tinplate rails (not just Märklin and Dublo), see here: https://spur00.de/

Regards

Fred

Well I owe you some thanks for linking this

A while ago I posted here asking for help identifying 2 tinplate carriages that are in my possession where the maker was unknown to me

Several people confirmed what I suspected that the bogies on it were 1950s or 1960s Fleischmann but nobody had ever seen the bodies before

Your linked website here has a picture of them and identifies the maker - Scalemaster (Electric toys ltd)

Thanks for that. I've been unable to answer this question for nearly 30 years until now

scalemaster.jpg

Edited by Captain Slough
  • Like 1

My first thoughts were Märklin, but, although the dimensions are similar, there are differences in colour and the centre rail connectors.

Märklin were not usually shy in informing you of the manufacturer either!

• Agree 1

I assume you mean JEP; with JEP postwar metal based H0/00 gauge rail the middle rail connectors are not assymetrical like in the picture at start of the thread. And the JEP Mignon rails of the twenties are also different:P1010883.JPG.41870189b3e400a98f4dfadc03309ec2.JPGRegards

Fred

On 16/04/2023 at 10:57, sncf231e said:

I do not recognise it. Note that there were many manufacturers of 3-rail H0/00 gauge trains with tinplate rails (not just Märklin and Dublo), see here: https://spur00.de/

Regards

Fred

I asked the maker of the https://spur00.de/ website (the most knowledgeable person on H0/00 from around the world) and he does not recognise it, but will dig into his archive.

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On the facebook pages "Collecting Toy Trains - Train Collectors Society" someone came with the answer: it is 3-rail track from the Belgian manufacturer ELEC. I looked in the ELEC catalogue and it indeed looks like ELEC track. I have an ELEC train set, but that was only the train, no track. So I ran it on Hornby Dublo rails:

ELEC only made trains for a couple of years around 1946. Only one catalogue is known. Before they made/used this metal track they made track with a wooden base on which the three rails were isolated. The forward and reverse was then done by powering either the left or right running rail and the central rail.

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yes,the answer did indeed come from the TCS. I quote,

"Fred Van Der Lubbe

Top contributor

I looked in the ELEC catalogue and it indeed looks like ELEC track.ELEC only made trains for a couple of years around 1946. Only one catalogue is known. Before they made/used this metal track they made track with a wooden base on which the three rails were isolated. The forward and reverse was then done by powering either the left or right running rail and the central rail (the Belgian company GILS did the same in 0 gauge)."Very helpful folk!.

Ray.

Elec track.jpg