Class 105 power twin to 2x power trailer?

I didn't know which section to write this and guesses this would be the best section.

I bought by mistake a Midland Region Bachmann 105 DMU. As I model the ER, I didn't know at the time that they didn't have any power twins - they were exclusively power trailer DMUs.

My question is, could I make a couple power trailers from the power twin? What would I need?

I don't know if this might help, but I did a 101 3-car conversion, starting with buying one of the 1st Bacchy 101s, a power car & trailer.

I had in stock a Lima centre trailer.

The motorised driving power car was used more or less as supplied.

The other driving motor was much modified (noting the different 1st/2nd layout as I recall), by buying another (good price) 101 twin, same as per the original. The model driving motor needed the motor chassis fitting (less the motor and bogie). One of the spare trailer bogies was added, and the interior was modified to suit.

Even with a good price 2nd unit, it was quite expensive, but little was wasted.

I also have on the go, a 3D print 109 Wickham unit, with a dmu drive unit from Replica installed, plus the spare 101 bits coming together to form the driving trailer chassis!

• Like 2

Thanks. I'd love a Wickham! I doubt they'd be produced RTR though.

I had a look at the Bachmann Spares website to cost getting a couple chassis and bodies. Quite expensive. I would still end up with the problem of having a roof exhaust in a trailer roof though.

Thinking this through a bit more, I have two power chassis, a body with correct roof and a body with incorrect roof. I'm not sure if it's possible to easily replace roofs on the bodies, I've not looked yet. It would be ideal if they were screwed, but I suspect not.

If it were possible, I would need 2 trailer chassis, a power body and trailer body, plus a replacement trailer roof. Roofs are not available separately, however.

It may be simpler to sell this one and buy two appropriate models.

It is a while since I did my conversion, and I'm not able to check  right now (preparing for a trip to Aberystwyth in the morning), but I recall that you need a trailer chassis (definitely); the body is I think in one piece; and the trailer includes a 1st class section behind the cab.

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused by this.

When you say the ER only had power trailers, surely you mean that in a two car unit one was powered and one wasn't - they can't both be unpowered.

In that case, you could just buy an unpowered trailer chassis, even without the bogies to make it cheaper if available, then remove the exhausts forom the coach end and do a number change.

You're left with a power chassis that isn't motorised, which could then be sold on ebay or wherever.

Or am I missing something?

John.

Hallo Eastern O sorry to hear about your wrong purchase of a cravens power twin ,have you thought about seeing if you could swap your unit for a eastern region power trailor set ,the wanted section on rmweb might be the place for you to go best of luck with your search!

• Like 1

Bachmann do the trailer car "chassis" as a spare. Just remove the exhausts from the roof or end on your non powered car. Just take care on renumbering as the only ER vehicles that the Bachmann models is good for is the 512xx/564xx batch.

Edited by 45125
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 45125 said:

Bachmann doe the trailer car "chassis" as a spare. Just remove the exhausts from the roof or end on your non powered car. Just take care on renumbering as the only ER vehicles that the Bachmann models is good for is the 512xx/564xx batch.

Which was something I suggested three posts above!

I can't see the problem with this, even if the roof vents are slightly different on an unpowered trailer, and I don't know that they are, then nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of thin plasticard and some glue.

Mystery.

John.

4 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Which was something I suggested three posts above!

I can't see the problem with this, even if the roof vents are slightly different on an unpowered trailer, and I don't know that they are, then nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of thin plasticard and some glue.

Mystery.

John.

When built the exhaust on a DMCL come on to the roof in line with the interior wall of the toilet. A trailer with exhaust pipe will look odd, they just need cutting off an smoothing down.

• Like 1