Axle diameter

Hello everyone,

I am away from home for a little while and cannot get access to my materials.

Can anyone tell me what diameter the axles are on Bachmann  split spoke wheels? I am trying to create a 3d model of a chaldron wagon and need the diameter for the bearings. For all I know all wagon axles are the same diameter, 1.6mm?, but I  have seen some diagrams that suggest otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Edited by T0ny
Repeated word deleted

1 hour ago, T0ny said:

Hello everyone,

I am away from home for a little while and cannot get access to my materials.

Can anyone tell me what diameter the axles are on Bachmann split split spoke wheels? I am trying to create a 3d model of a chaldron wagon and need the diameter for the bearings. For all I know all wagon axles are the same diameter, 1.6mm?, but I  have seen some diagrams that suggest otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Maybe I'm missing something, but if they are pinpoint bearings does it really matter? 

If the axle is larger diameter than the bearing, there will be exposed taper at the ends; if it is less, then the taper of the bearing isn't fully used.  Either way, surely  the critical dimension is the length over the tip of the axles which needs to be the same as the distance between the points of the bearings.

Axle diameter does matter in a loco however as you need the gearwheel to be a proper fit on the axle. 

"Maybe I'm missing something, but if they are pinpoint bearings does it really matter? "

No, they are inside bearings on a chaldron wagon and so will need to be sized correctly.image.png.9eb73c328f056a827a0b5d5ab071adcc.png

They were used from the 13th century (obviously not with steam powered locos, horses) until the middle of the 20th century, being the (theoretical) maximum that a horse could pull.

Edited by T0ny
wording and additional text.

Bachmann tend to be a tad under 2mm, in my experience of converting rolling stock, not enough under to preclude the use of 2mm id bearings

Thank you for your prompt reply. I will go with that and see how it goes.

• Like 1