RMweb

Tynemouth Station Hand-built Junction

Mike-Venus

Hi everyone, I am interested in building a model of Tynemouth Ststion as built in 1882. I have done quite a lot of ground work and I am happy that it is feasible to build in N Gauge. I have inquired to Wayne Kinney of Finetrax as his n gauge fits the best to the scale map I have.

There is a junction that needs to be made  which in volves 3 curved points and 3 curved diamond crossovers.

A John Jones was recommended to me, user name Hayfield here, but I have been unable to contact him as I understand he does commission work. Or does anyone know of someone who could undertake this task. Please below the junction in question.

Look forward to hopefully a solution.

Regards

Mike

20230417_091522.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All of that pointwork is curved and each designed for its individual location. You won't ever get that from any commercial product.  To get this looking right, the track will need to be handbuilt. You can design it yourself on templot and either commission it or build it yourself.  It's a great looking layout and it will look fantastic! I look forward to following it!

Ian

• Like 1

OK, I may be asked incorrectly for what I want, The majority of track will be Finetrax. But I appreciate that this particular junction would need to be built by hand, and yes Templot is probably the way to go.

But I would like someone to build that junction for me.

Is there anyone that could do that?

Regards

Michael

• RMweb Premium

If the junction trackwork is to match finetrax then I would suggest that soldered track via 2mm association parts will be the way to go, possibly using etched chairplates to save messing around with different rail heights. The late Keith Armes used to offer bespoke track made to 2mm & N gauge but I don’t know if anyone does now. 

Have to say those points at the junction look to be quite sharp compared with the others visible, something perhaps to double-check before construction commences. 

Quite apart from doing it all in N and keeping the flangeway gaps down to a reasonable level I think it will be fun working out the wiring …….

Bob

2 hours ago, rovex said:

Hayfield has built all the track on my most recent layout and I cannot praise him high enough 

This is my email address michael.mazak@yahoo.com any chance you could pass this onto John. I just do not seem to able to contact him. Would be most appreciated Rovex.

1 hour ago, ikcdab said:

If you need any help with the templot side of things, let me know and I'm happy to help.

Ian

Hi Ikcdab,

I have just posted a question into the Templot Forum as I know nothing about it, e cept what Templot is designed to do. My question is this. I have the curved junction I want to model. Can I import the map I have of the junction into Templot as a Background, and to scale?

Regards

Michael 

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Mike-Venus said:

Hi Ikcdab,

I have just posted a question into the Templot Forum as I know nothing about it, e cept what Templot is designed to do. My question is this. I have the curved junction I want to model. Can I import the map I have of the junction into Templot as a Background, and to scale?

Regards

Michael 

Yes.  Thats straightforward.

There is a function in templot that takes you direct to the nls website, allows you to specify the area you want then it will download it for you and import it. 

Ian

Edited by ikcdab

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2023 at 09:08, Mike-Venus said:

Hi Ikcdab,

Regards

Michael 

Hi Michael,

Here is a video showing how to do that. Templot will get the map for you and set it to the correct scale:

https://85a.uk/templot/companion/get_map_from_the_web.php

cheers,

Martin.

I'm sorry I'm unable to help with your track building, but I am looking forward to seeing your layout develop as I've just moved away after 30 years in the area and I've had many a walk with the dog along the disused branch line. I presume you're planning on building the station roof with all its glass panels?

Hi Graham,

Yes that is also one of the reasons that I want to model this station.  I talked to ModelrailYork who said they could laser cut all the canopy details for me. Provided i supplied the drawings which is the more cost effective way to go.

• Round of applause 1