Brian Huxley

Does anyone have any contact details for Brian Huxley please. He was the author of several articles in the Railway Modeller in the late 70's mainly on GWR wagons and Mink Vans.

DaveB

He was Group Captain Brian Huxley,who became air vice marshal CBE in 1986.

Given the age and experience that would go with that sort of career,I'd be incredibly surprised if he was still with us 40 years later!

• Agree 1

His first articles in RM was early to mid 1970s which is fifty years ago.

There is mention of an Air Commodore Brian HUXLEY, Royal Air Force here dated 1981.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/48639/supplement/7/data.pdf

And this accident report that seems a bit grim.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/157128

However,  in 2009 it seems he was still modelling.

“There have been many good books about many types of aircraft, but this is without any question one of the most comprehensive and thoroughly researched monographs ever to grace the shelves of the aviation enthusiast. It provides a wealth of historical information for the serious student, a level of data that is sufficient to satisfy the most ardent rivet-counter, and enough pictorial evidence to keep us modellers happily employed for the rest of our lives.”
— Air Vice Marshall Brian Huxley CB CBE RAF (Ret’d)

http://www.dhc-1flyer.com/reviews.html

No obituaries are coming up so he might still be with us.

Jason

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 months later...
On 07/07/2023 at 04:57, Peter Huxley said:

Happy to report that my father, Brian Huxley is alive, well and still modelling. I am happy to pass contact details to him from anyone who would like to get in touch.

I am really pleased to hear he is still with us. Please tell your father I am still using his articles and chopping up Airfix and Kirk kits as his articles. I picked up a couple of Airfix cattle wagon kits, recently and there was only one thing to do - reach for my Huxley bible. Reprofiling the ends makes a huge difference. I would not have attempted this if it were not for your Father. I have a kirk Mink C that will be made into a banana van as per his articles.

I spend years collecting the missing articles I did not have. I was missing the flats article from 1982 but the problem was solved when Railway Modeller went digital and the back issues were put online.

Give him our best. Many of us owe him big time for showing how to 'have a go'. For anyone looking for back issues the articles and publication dates are below.

Mike Wiltshire

image.png.afcfc92c683140f3ca18358dbbbd9a55.png

Mex.1.jpg.aa4d1fd04077f9aa1bbafdc2439a38d6.jpgMex.2.jpg.3137f06522ceaa86d49ae4345f7576d3.jpg

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

I am really pleased to hear he is still with us. Please tell your father I am still using his articles and chopping up Airfix and Kirk kits as his articles. I picked up a couple of Airfix cattle wagon kits, recently and there was only one thing to do - reach for my Huxley bible. Reprofiling the ends makes a huge difference. I would not have attempted this if it were not for your Father. I have a kirk Mink C that will be made into a banana van as per his articles.

I spend years collecting the missing articles I did not have. I was missing the flats article from 1982 but the problem was solved when Railway Modeller went digital and the back issues were put online.

Give him our best. Many of us owe him big time for showing how to 'have a go'. For anyone looking for back issues the articles and publication dates are below.

Mike Wiltshire

image.png.afcfc92c683140f3ca18358dbbbd9a55.png

Mex.1.jpg.aa4d1fd04077f9aa1bbafdc2439a38d6.jpgMex.2.jpg.3137f06522ceaa86d49ae4345f7576d3.jpg

I do agree, Brian Huxley's articles have been a real inspiration to me over what is now nearly 50 years!

The original Plastic Prairie article in 1976, set me off on an ongoing fascination with the 39xx tanks. I've built two now.

Thanks @Coach bogie for the full list, easily accessible now with the RM digital archive.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, thank you fro all your comments.

I have now been in touch with Brian and have asked for his permission to post some of his RM articles on my blog page.

This I'm pleased to say he has said yes.

This will be at a later date when I have more time to be at my computer and process the articles.

DaveB

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

• 1 month later...