Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Mgr train at Eastleigh in mid 70s

Hi all,

A friend of mine is currently scanning his slide collection and has come across a shot he took of a class 33/73 double heading HAA type wagons through Eastleigh in the mid 1970s. 

Would anyone happen to know what this working would have been and where it would be coming from/ going to?

It's unclear from the photo if the wagons were loaded with coal or not.

• RMweb Premium

The were flows of gypsum on the SR in PGA hoppers, which were a slightly smaller version of the HAA.

Usually hauled by 'Slim Jim' cl.33/2 due to clearance issues, a 73 would maybe be preferable to a normal 33 if double-heading was required.

There were MGR workings from Northam Yard to Didcot PS for a short while in the mid-1970s. These were worked by 33+73 combos. They started in October 1975 according to DerbySulzers.

• Agree 1

On 30/04/2023 at 17:12, Wickham Green too said:

Presumably import coal, tripped to Northam from Soton Docks.

Imported coal yes.

From "a dock in the Southampton area" yes, but from "Southampton Docks" no.

This coal was unloaded off the marine vessel at Dibles Wharf in Northam (hence these trains started at Northam Yard); Dibles Wharf was never part of "Southampton Docks". Independent private operation.

IIRC the coal that mainly came into Dibles was from northern France mines - although that is not to say French coal went to Didcot. Dibles for a long while after end of steam on BR had an ex BR ex LSWR 040 kettle shunter; no doubt someone else can elucidate on that matter.

As an aside, they were booked for 33/0+73/1 using the Blue Star on the 73/1; too that is not to say 33/1+73/1 did not work them, just what they were booked.

The SR 33+73 power worked to Didcot yard not into the power station; needed a WR SSC 47 to trip the coal into the PS for unloading.

Edited by D7666
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, D7666 said:

Imported coal yes.

From "a dock in the Southampton area" yes, but from "Southampton Docks" no.

This coal was unloaded off the marine vessel at Dibles Wharf in Northam (hence these trains started at Northam Yard); Dibles Wharf was never part of "Southampton Docks". Independent private operation.

IIRC the coal that mainly came into Dibles was from northern France mines - although that is not to say French coal went to Didcot. Dibles for a long while after end of steam on BR had an ex BR ex LSWR 040 kettle shunter; no doubt someone else can elucidate on that matter.

As an aside, they were booked for 33/0+73/1 using the Blue Star on the 73/1; too that is not to say 33/1+73/1 did not work them, just what they were booked.

The SR 33+73 power worked to Didcot yard not into the power station; needed a WR SSC 47 to trip the coal into the PS for unloading.

Dible's Wharf was operated by Powell-Duffryn; originally South-Walian mine-owners; in later years they were better known as wagon builders, though they operated open-cast mines in South Wales, and retained and retained a domestic coal sales business.

PD ?; did they take over Corralls as I thought that was who it was at Dibles..

Nothwithstanding any South Wales connection, there was imported French coal through Dibles.

30096 was the ex LSWR kettle at Dibles.

Bonnie Prince Charlie - coincidentally now at Didcot museum - was another one time Dibles lok.

On 06/05/2023 at 16:50, iowcr3429 said:

Seem to remember in the back of my mind a few trains to clear the coal stocks from West Cowes power station on the Isle of Wight on it closing. Can't say where I read it but march 1976 was the closure date

You may be right that occurred too; I do not remember trains for that; and at only 24 MW would not have had huge stocks nor a huge exercise to clear it; a drop in the ocean compared to Didcot.

Didcot A (the coal station) was 2000 MW in comparison, about 80 times power output => about 80 times coal supply needs of Cowes.

I am pretty sure I remember the 33+73 Northam / Didcots at least in years 1975 to 1978 inclusive, a larger time frame than closing Cowes. Late 1978 I moved away from the area, but certain I saw a 33+73 berthed at Didcot c.1980.

Not saying there was no coal Cowes > Didcot, but it must have been a fairly small flow.

Edited by D7666

17 hours ago, doilum said:

Where did the Kent coal go?

How far back ?

Richborough power station was one big user, before that switched to oil c.1971. (Digression; 4 33s were released by this; these were part of the cascade that allowed 33s to take over Waterloo Exeter in 10/71, needed 6 extra diagram at Eastleigh to cover.)

Into 1980s, there was a Betteshanger - Orgreave coal for coke working; 47 on traditional wagons usually ; other intermittent conditional flows from Kent to steel/coke could backload MGR HAA hoppers off Ridham Dock or Northfleet workings.

I am sure there were more.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Just found this thread, below are photos I put in the 33 thread a while ago, I took them at Reading in the early 1980's and had asked if anyone knew what was going on. Various theories but nothing definitive. Certainly ties in with Didcot, the train came in from that direction, albeit with an 08 attached to the rear.

Edited by ruggedpeak

For some reason I can't find the image you refer to; I can get to that 33 photos thread and see many other images but not see the specific pic nor find "33055" in text search,maybe the link is altered somehow ?

Anyway. That is not so important to my comment.

A Northam to Didcot MGR would not be in Reading if that means Reading General station. route would be Basingstoke, Reading west curve, GWML.

Belay that, cleared cache / history, reloaded, found it.

That is a weird activity to say the least.

Maybe they are dropping a defective wagon hence the 08 and running via station to aid shunting ?

Certainly that is off route if it is a Northam otherwise.

Pity there are no headcodes wound up on the locos as that would identify the working (not that I can remember what the right code was anyway)/

Edited by D7666