Buffer Beam Pipes and Loco End Cables and Junction Boxes - Scratch Building

• RMweb Premium

I have a number of newer Lima Class 37s and Class 47s which I am converting to EM gauge with new or upgrade drive trains.  Missing from my list of part are the pipes and cables needed to add buffer beam detail.  A search of RN Web did uncover an excellent thread (Kylestrome’s 4mm Workbench) which described how to make most of the pipes using nickel silver rod and wire but not the ETS cables and junction boxes.  Have searched RM Web but nothing found.  Of course, i could resort to purchasing detailing kits from one of the usual  RTR manufacturers but that is an expensive option and does not allow flexibility in assembly and fitting.  A review of the various models revealed a plethora of ETS fits within a class.

Has anybody attempted to make their own ETS cable and junction boxes in much the same way that Kylestrome has for the pipework ?

I may as well try to make my own based on a set of weathered ETS cables for a Bachman Class 45 and prototype images and measurements.  Suitable component ordered.  First candidate is a Lima Class 47 converted to EM with a Hornby Railroad chassis, separate thread when complete.  I will update how I made the ETS cables, connectors and junction boxes here.

Now work in progress.

Patrick

Edited by NFWEM57
additional info and typos

• NFWEM57 changed the title to Buffer Beam Pipes and Loco End Cables and Junction Boxes - Scratch Building
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/07/2023 at 12:03, Ighten said:

Any updates....

Yes.  Real work, sport ( I am team captain for club) and and heat (my study gets too hot in summer) got in the way..!   However, now have all the raw components (wire, guitar string, shaped plastic) and (various orange) paint and will commence on a Lima Class 47 shortly.   The Lima has a new chassis and railroad powered and unpowered bogies with Alan Gibson wheels set for EM.  Sorry for delay, aim to complete by end of August.

Patrick

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NFWEM57 said:

Yes.  Real work, sport ( I am team captain for club) and and heat (my study gets too hot in summer) got in the way..!   However, now have all the raw components (wire, guitar string, shaped plastic) and (various orange) paint and will commence on a Lima Class 47 shortly.   The Lima has a new chassis and railroad powered and unpowered bogies with Alan Gibson wheels set for EM.  Sorry for delay, aim to complete by end of August.

Patrick

Look forward to it

• RMweb Premium
On 29/07/2023 at 22:13, 45125 said:

West Hill Wagon works

Thank you for the information, very useful.  I have ordered a set for C37, C45, C47 and Steam to see what they look like and maybe use as a reference.  However, at £4.50 per locomotive and unpainted, I think 'home made' might well be cheaper and, made out of wire, possibly less prone to damage and more 'adjustable'.

• RMweb Premium
On 29/07/2023 at 12:08, BR traction instructor said:

Have a chat with Phil Sutton at Rail Exclusives/SLW loco works on 01780 470086...he should be able to fix you up.

Hi, thank you for the tip.  I had a look at the web site.  Was tempted by the Tyne Dock conversion set but have more or less decided on the home built solution.  After studying a lot of porotype buffer beam images have worked out cable and hose sizes.  Have drafted an article with diagrams which I will upload as a pdf in the near future.  Once my last item arrives, 2mm round rod, I will make my first set and include the images in the document.  

Edited by NFWEM57
typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have made  start on the hoses and the results are reasonable.  The images below show the unpainted vacuum (top left), steam (top middle) and air brake hoses (top right and lower 4).  Note the left and right handed isolation valves on the air hoses and steam hoses and the variation in hose sizes.

BufferBeamHoses(1of3)P1040537.jpg.7b9939197dfb15ce7a24311ee8921bbf.jpg 

BufferBeamHoses(2of3)P1040540.jpg.08575d5c86501898baa8ecb467d4a144.jpg

The 3D D printed hose and cable sets from West Hill arrive tomorrow and whilst they are more detailed I am not sure on my planned layout it makes any difference as it is primarily a 'watching the train go by' layout and so fine detail will not be that visible.  Which brings we on to the ETH/ETS and MW cables.  There is a lot of detail on the West Hill sets and much variation between classes.  However, the fine detail might not be required for my layout and so representation (as above), rather than exact copy, might be adequate.  I'll create some ETH/S and MW cables solutions for comparison.

The key consideration is flexibility.  The RTR and West Hill sets are rigid plastic, the item above are adjustable and not perfect copies.  The vacuum hose are wound guitar string, the rest copper wire with fuse wire.

Patrick 

Patrick

Edited by NFWEM57
typos
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Still waiting for West Hill sets, should have been here Sat but 48Hr tracked package stuck in Southampton Mail Depot since Friday so must assume Royal Mail have 'lost' the package.  So, bit of delay.

• RMweb Premium

West Hill parts finally arrived.   They are quite impressive, if a little fragile..!

Class 37 MW Connectors and Cables,  Class 45  ETH Cables and Connectors, Early Class 47  ETH and finally Class 47 ETH.

Class37MW(1of1)P1040558.jpg.9762c0e36c8b41222810120938a2b9ef.jpg Class45ETH(1of1)P1040561.jpg.d1978bd5d33053a2111bfa8fa41196c8.jpg   Class47EarlyETH(1of1)P1040559.jpg.050aa42e0ca16ced15a7b5a9c3e4fe84.jpg  Class47ETH(1of1)P1040563.jpg.781becfb6fbe47073127c31839a052ac.jpg

The C45 and early C47 and late C47 are identical although the later C47 has a different cable layout.  The C37 set is different but quite simple. 

I will attempt to replicate using round and square plastic rod and wire already acquired.  Whilst the excellent detail on the West Hill offerings will be missing it will be similar to the C45 offerings from Bachmann, below, and as my formations will rarely be stationary, close enough for 'watch the trains go by ' use..!.  

BachmannC45ETH(1of1)ETS(3of3)P1040482.jpg.167c2a90d6ce0d2dec086f67822bd43d.jpg

Patrick

Edited by NFWEM57
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have attempted to make the ETH/MW part in the images above but it has not been entirely successful by 'hand'.  So intend to try another approach using a compound table/ machine vice to hold the parts, mill to size and then drill the 1mm and 0.7mm holes required.  This might also be the only method to make the angled connector on later ETH gear. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There is a point where one needs to stand back and look at the options including the time required to manufacture a part oneself.  Whilst the various pipes were easy, the ETH parts are proving more difficult.  So a comparison of the options is required looking at ease of manufacture, cost, time, fidelity and fragility.

My attempt at manufacturing ETH and MW parts  proved to be time consuming, difficult due to size, have poor fidelity but are more robust and inexpensive.  So what are the options?

• The West Hill Wagons Works sets are high fidelity, already assembled, moderately expensive if you just want to use the ETH/MW parts alone but are somewhat fragile; both the ETH cable had broken off from the junction boxes on the set I purchased..  Effectively, £3.79 for a locomotive.
  • Shapeway sell a set of 5 pairs of ETH boxes minus cables (so 10 in all) which look to be very high fidelity for £19.72 and therefore £3.94 per locomotive. .  Shapeway also manufacture the MW connectors, 20 for £10.42.    The catch is postage from the country of manufacture US which is a staggering £21.44 and the added VAT resulting in nearly £10 per locomotive. 

The Shapeway sets would have been ideal but not at that cost, so it will have to be a hybrid solution.  Pity Shapeway do not manufacture in the UK but I have purchased their parts before using a UK importer at much lower cost so I have made an enquiry.

If Shapways is not an option, I will use the West Hill sets but fit copper wires in place of the very brittle cable already fitted (and which are already broken).

Patrick

Edited by NFWEM57
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Update

I decided to purchase the Shipway parts as, in bulk, it is effectively the same costs per ETS part as buying the West Hill Wagons packs and having a lot of wasted parts.  Just tried to use Shapeways for an order and magically, at the final stage (4) of checkout process, the prices for each item increased by over 20%, nothing to do with VAT, shipping , handling etc which were all itemised separately.  Luckily I spotted it, so caveat emptor with Shapeways. I have sent them a complaint, doubt I'll get a response. I know the USA considers the UK to be treasure island, they can charge want they want and we will pay, but significantly uplifting the price during the checkout process..!  Surely that is illegal...in the UK at least..!

I have sent an email to the developer, who is UK based, to see what options there are.