CDU and Point Motors

MatthewEWS

Hi all,

On my most recent layout I’m using solenoid point motors for the first time. It’s only a small diorama of a diesel depot and as such only has 2 points.

Is it worth getting a CDU to use with these? Or is it just an unnecessary extra best saved for a larger layout?

Complete novice with all this so any help appreciated!

thanks 

5 minutes ago, MatthewEWS said:

Hi all,

On my most recent layout I’m using solenoid point motors for the first time. It’s only a small diorama of a diesel depot and as such only has 2 points.

Is it worth getting a CDU to use with these? Or is it just an unnecessary extra best saved for a larger layout?

Complete novice with all this so any help appreciated!

thanks 

I would still use a CDU to protect the two motors.  The amount of motors on a layout is irrelevant, as in theory only one or two motors are only going to be fired at any one time. But you want the motors you have to be protected from being burnt out. If you look around, you can get a new CDU for under £10. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

If you want to save the money by not buying a CDU, use a mechanical method of operating your 2 points.

Saving money on solenoid motors, by NOT using a CDU, is false economy, because you'll kill them, sooner or later.

Edited by kevinlms
Wrong word
  • Agree 2