How to make Building light work by just placing it on layout

Where two of my layout boards join there is a toggle clip on top of the layout.  I use a Bachmann signalbox to cover the clip which works really well.  When I have to pull the boards apart I just lift the signalbox and undo the clip.  I now want to install lights into the signalbox.  I know I could just connect wires through the layout board and these would have to be long enough to allow the signalbox to be lifted away. But what is the best way of making a wireless connection between the bottom of the the signalbox and the top of the layout board whereby the light comes on when the signalbox is just placed onto the board.  I hope this makes sense.  Any help apprecaited. Kevin

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Battery powered lights in the signal box?   You could adapt a coach lighting kit quite easily by just chopping off part of the LED strip. Would only need a button battery which would last a long time.

• Agree 1

One of my signal boxes has 2 X AA batteries in a holder which came from Maplins  many years ago and a pair of LEDs in Parallel in and an on/off switch which works fine with otherwise life expired batteries..

I have a 3 volt ring main for building lights and use brass tube jammed through the baseboard soldered to droppers from the ring, into which fits single core  copper wire from 15 amp ring main wire in  diagonally opposite corners of the building   The wires have a bit of a twist so they make good contact and are easy to locate.    A signal box, goods shed, Loco shed and a few other buildings use the system,  one tube could be painted red but with 3 volts I can connect the LEDs backwards with no issues except they don't work.

I use old school LEDs around 1.8 to 2.5 Vf  and use low value resistors to equalise brightness of Red and Green, Old school whites and Blues just don't light on 3Volts.   Might be able to get some pics on Friday.

Edited by DCB

• RMweb Gold

I have thought about using miniature neo magnets.  One pair glued to the baseboard and another pair in the building, dangling loose with the wires soldered to the magnets.  When the building is placed, the magnets attract and hey presto.  Orientate the magnets with the baseboard pair one north and one South so that they connect up correctly.

I haven't tried this. Can you solder to neo magnets to attach the wires? And can you fix the signalbox pair firmly enough such that they don't pull off when detaching?

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Soldering kills neo magnets. However you can solder to tinplate, which is then attracted by a neo magnet. 

An example;

The previous blog shows tests on neo magnet conductivity. 

I think something similar on a building might provide a solution for the op. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1