Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Identifying PO Wagon colour

JohnR

• RMweb Gold

I think its most likely to be grey as the base colour, and I'll go forward on that basis (until someone points out otherwise!)

Thanks all for a fascinating discussion.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I think its most likely to be grey as the base colour, and I'll go forward on that basis (until someone points out otherwise!)

A logical interpretation on the basis of the AI results: AI interprets wagons known to be grey as red; AI interprets this wagon as red; ergo this wagon is grey!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

A logical interpretation on the basis of the AI results: AI interprets wagons known to be grey as red; AI interprets this wagon as red; ergo this wagon is grey!

Since we're talking repetition!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The following has been posted on the CRA Forum by Mike Williams :-

'The Society was established as early as 1873 but it is believed that it did not own any wagons until 1936, when it acquired a large number with the purchase of the Dundee business of coal merchant Robert Taylor & Sons Ltd to whom the Co-op’s coal business had been sub-contracted. According to the NBR Traders’ Register there were sixty of these wagons, all conversions from solid buffers, which had carried the Taylor fleet Nos. 152 and 251 to 310. This photograph was taken in wartime, but the colour has not been recorded as far as I know. Robert Taylor's wagons were painted brown oxide.'

Not sure if it adds much to the original question.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

The following has been posted on the CRA Forum by Mike Williams :-

'The Society was established as early as 1873 but it is believed that it did not own any wagons until 1936, when it acquired a large number with the purchase of the Dundee business of coal merchant Robert Taylor & Sons Ltd to whom the Co-op’s coal business had been sub-contracted. According to the NBR Traders’ Register there were sixty of these wagons, all conversions from solid buffers, which had carried the Taylor fleet Nos. 152 and 251 to 310. This photograph was taken in wartime, but the colour has not been recorded as far as I know. Robert Taylor's wagons were painted brown oxide.'

Not sure if it adds much to the original question.

Jim

But it is still very interesting indeed, thanks for asking the question Jim. R Taylor of Dundee have had a couple of their wagons reproduced in model form, most recently by Oxford Rail, who used a red shade of Brown Oxide....

• Like 1

Taylor's  wagons also had a flag on the door, blue and white horizontal stripes with a white 'T' on a blue background in the top left corner.

Jim

• Like 1