Asking a little help please - Ivatt GNR/LNER N1 - cab roof vent and handbrake linkage arrangement

Bucoops

• RMweb Gold

Good evening - as per the title I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me (i.e. most people) can point me in the right direction for either photos or drawings showing the roof vent arrangement, and the handbrake linkage on an N1.

I have the Isinglass drawing, I've scoured HMRS, Colour Rail, Ebay and also the Green RCTS book - there's a very blurry one in there that teases at the roof. I don't have the relevant Yeadon's volume but happy to buy it if it has something to help.

Thank you :)

There's a - small - overhead view of 69478 at Wilsden in "Celebration of Steam : West Riding" ( Ian Allan 1994 ) .............. can't say I'm familiar with any GNR locos but is there any reason to believe these details are significantly different from those on the N2 - which ought to be better recorded as one survives in preservation.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

There's a - small - overhead view of 69478 at Wilsden in "Celebration of Steam : West Riding" ( Ian Allan 1994 ) .............. can't say I'm familiar with any GNR locos but is there any reason to believe these details are significantly different from those on the N2 - which ought to be better recorded as one survives in preservation.

Great thank you - nice and cheap on ebay.

I wouldn't want to guess - I believe it's a logical improvement on the N1althought eh change from Ivatt to Gresley could have introduced all sorts of minor tweaks to that kind of thing.

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

..... and all sorts of minor tweaks might have been suggested by the guys at the drawing board ...... we'll probably never know.

True.

Looking at the preserved N2, it appears to have two sliding vents. Allegedly the N1 has one fixed and one sliding - but two of each come in the kit with the line "compare with photographs (if possible").

On 02/05/2023 at 10:25, Wickham Green too said:

but is there any reason to believe these details are significantly different from those on the N2

I know nothing of substance about this, but the N1 appears to have had an Ivatt-style flat roof rather than the more curved roof (side to side) of the N2, so the detail on top might also have been changed?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2023 at 11:33, Bucoops said:

Great thank you - nice and cheap on ebay.

I wouldn't want to guess - I believe it's a logical improvement on the N1althought eh change from Ivatt to Gresley could have introduced all sorts of minor tweaks to that kind of thing.

Too cheap - the book that turned up is something about a murder in 1881! Try again "We buy books" 😆

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2023 at 10:25, Wickham Green too said:

2nd time's the charm - shout out to "Brit Books" for sending what was ordered!

Thanks for the heads-up on the photo - looks like two sliding vents to me :)

• Agree 1