Leighton Spa Mk2 (in fact)

Dmouseair

Hi All,

Leighton Spa is back, just in it's Mk2 form or is that Mk........?

The old layout has been completly pulled up and a replan is in progress.

The layout board now goes completly around the loft! B)

Xtrak Cad is working overtime.

Hi All,

More wood working will continue tomorrow with some leg cutting on the baseboards, as my man will be bringing his circular saw, so we can finally get some accurate lengths and 90degree cuts.....

Once this is done I may bite the bullet and get a second level built, as I need help on the building front.

I have various ideas in my head about what I need to achieve for the layout:

1. Station large enough for an eight coach plus engine train, including bay platforms similar if not exactly the same as Leamington Spa.

2. Large TMD(s) for on scene storage and shunting, plus carriage sidings.

3. Large storage yard either on scene or off for freight and passenger stock.

4. Multi level using 3% elevations.

5. Some sort of industry to justify all my VGA and VDAs!

6. Maybe a short heritage yard with access to mainline for out of era stock........

7. Prototypical as possible - artistic licence regarding point 8 required!

8. 3rd rail if I could get away with it, maybe on elevated section for new Bachmann EMU's - love those. :wub:

Do you think it is to much to ask? :wacko:

Do you know anyone who could draw an XtrakCad plan, that would encompass all these points. All help greatfully received as I am banging my head.

I will attach a new baseboard plan to show the new layout dimensions.

Cheers all,

DM.

The new boards are in place, and not only do I have a complete round the loft circuit, but the boards are wider on the East and West sides too at 3', and 2' near the water tank due to loft hatch access. The Northern boards are 12'x4' as before.

post-5815-12573631286707_thumb.jpg

What is not shown is the struts holding the roof up in four places, these come out 7"'s, but the photos albeit slightly out of date give you an idea, of why track cannot be laid right to the edges.

post-5815-12573628404228_thumb.jpg

Western side looking North before the rebuild

post-5815-12573628516264_thumb.jpg

Eastern side looking North before the rebuild, also showing the old board that formed the loop.

post-5815-1257362862905_thumb.jpg

Hot water tank corner (S.E.) with board in place testing for size and whether the wife could get in....

post-5815-12573628733249_thumb.jpg

South Western corner showing progress.

I will upload new photos of the completed boarding including the 1' extensions on the sides, and the new infills and cuts to aid curve laying on the corners once the last bits have been put in.

The track plan is just an idea but shows roughly what I have in mind.

The carriage sidings in the SW corner maybe non-scenic due to their storage nature more than anything., and I have to design the fiddle yard on the Eastern side.

The TMD in S.E. corner will be non-scenic and is purely storage.

I need to decide how to do the scenic TMD on the Northern board, but assume it will be similar to the Hallenby layout, as that concept fits mine also. The plan maybe Park Road, Rimenough or Moltby Park (which I wished I bid on Ebay yesterday!) - could'nt justify unfortunately - but the wife said yes though when I mentioned it.....:lol:

On a more serious note is there any "professional" layout designers who would'nt mind drawing up a few plans for me using the guidance of previous posts? I have hit an artistic block...........:blink:

Hello again,

Good luck with your layout.

When I have loft time I always sort of plan what I hope to do that day and usually it overuns into the next day or next weekblink.gif and sometimes nothing gets done because I get side tracked and decide to play trains insteadbiggrin.gif

I'm glad though that I haven't got a water tank in my loft as that looks to be a real pain.

Cheers.

Ah, the boiler room of the Titanic is my loft!

I would not have minded but it was my bright idea when we bought the house to move the old gas bolier out of the 3rd bedroom and get a new hot water tank and boiler in the loft.

I then took up model trains.........shot myself in the foot I think! :icon_mutter:

The final bits and bobs of board and infills should be done by Monday, so no excuse but to get on with it.

I am still unsure what to do about multi levels, but I am heeding 6002to's advice from lessons learnt on his layout. Question is do I have a raised level with no access, maybe 3rd rail.......or risk an incline and regret it?

If I use 12' or 16' inclines from Woodland Scenics, I wonder if a 10 HTA/BRA/VGA etc rake will make it pulled by a Cl37, or similar as these will realisticly be the max length in use? :icon_e_confused:

post-5815-12574111052996_thumb.jpg

Well they didn't say all this was child's play did they?

Perhaps my lad has more idea than I do...........:icon_clap:

• 3 weeks later...

A plan I am currently working on:

The MPD is primarily used as an on scene storage area, with maintainance and fuelling cleaning etc - track plan not yet finalised as trying to work out best place for washer plant, fuel and fuel unloading point.

The industrial area is an unloading area for van rakes of VGA/VDA's etc or even maybe parcels, not sure yet.I am also not sure of the best way to design that area with a loco release or not. It could turn into a DMU/coach maintainance area again allowing on scence storage.

The DMU sheds may go and the area just remain a station terminus, or walkways next to the track for open air storage, with the maintainance being done at the MPD.

The main Leighton Spa station is about right, and the hidden storage yards are ok aswell.

post-5815-12590938678839_thumb.jpg

Great to see another loft layout on the go. Your trackplan looks awesome! I sometimes wish I had used all of the loft, but then again I am struggling to cope with the part I have used!

Keep us informed of your progress.

Dave

Well, here it is.......pretty much the final installment! :blink:

Leighton Spa, is based on Leamington Spa, as I am sure you have realised.

The MPD is based on Winson Green just N.W. of Birmingham, with a little bit of licence due to allowable space available. This will allow my Central Train stock to be stabled and maintained, plus a few others I think........I may trim it a bit?

The yard I am not so sure about, whether it's a TMD for the loco's or a freight yard, and if it is freight what should I put in there?

The terminus could be Stratford-Upon-Avonish, with little bit of tinkering?

I am aware there is lots of track about, but I need to put my stock somewhere!:rolleyes:

I have given up with inclines for the mo.

Well, what do you think?

post-5815-12597886425617_thumb.jpg

I have made a couple of tweeks, but for some reason Xtrak is having a funny five minutes and won't save the bitmap! :(

I have extended the points in the station so that traffic from Stratford(ish) station and the Winson Green(ish) yard can be positioned onto the up line, effectively turning them around. This is only for DMU's and locos of course due to the length available.

Stratford has been modified so it looks more like Stratford, in so far as the platform layout is concerned.

My current dilema is what to do with the yard? Does it just become a storage yard which is a bit boring, or does it have industry to enable my van rakes to be employed, or even aggregate loading for Network Rail.......

Suggestions please, and also should I change the layout of the yard to a more prototypical arrangement....but again what would be best???????

I am almost there I think with the planning, so soon time to order more bits and bobs and get track laying again.

Great plan and very nice joinery so far.

How do you see the hidden storage lines working - if they are below (and behind) how will you "fiddle" with trains - or are you thinking of just parking set trains round here?

Hope you can keep progress up - this is a big layout

Stuart

Ah yes, the hidden (invisible on RMWeb) storage yard....is for stabling set piece rakes of VDA/HAA/BRA/VGA....and anything else that will fit with an "A" in it.

I can using the mystic arts of origarmi to slide effortlessly under the 12' x 4' boards and appear as if by magic on the otherside....totally unscathed!!!!!:lol: Yeah right..thats why I have a son who will soon start his re-railment training - he is only 2 and a bit and needs the exercise.

There will be a scenic brake, and when seen from a sitting position, the yard will be a figment of your/mine imagination. The yard is on the same level as the other boards due to not having the gradient/room available to drop it down.

Winson Green, or near it has a yard according to Google Earth!!!!! I have however, never seen it on the ground.....I may be wrong. :P

Here are a few update pics of the boards which now complete the loop around the loft. I have to express thanks to my mate Wayne for his carpentry skills.

The Eastern board looking North, showing the new width expansion.

post-5815-12601367522875_thumb.jpg

Showing the woodwork around the water tank.

post-5815-1260136781226_thumb.jpg

This is where Stratford -Upon-Avon(ish) will be wedged into!

post-5815-126013680875_thumb.jpg

Western board looking South, with new width insert.

post-5815-1260136836186_thumb.jpg

Ok, for some reason Xtrak bitmap did not fail this time, and I have upped the DPI slightly as well, hopefully for more detail.

The amendments are the point work in the station, and Stratford-Upon-....... platform layout.

The idea being that trains from Stratford go onto the main down line or one of the two loops hidden (see the single track on the right leading to the storage yard), and then as they approach the down platform (right handside) they switch platforms. This effectively puts them onto the up line again and turns them around. This should work on trains upto four carriages, which is fine. It is the only way I can see to have an end to end operation.

The yard is still bugging me.

The MPD throat is close to the main station, but I am struggling to fit it in...any ideas?

post-5815-1260635765388_thumb.jpg

It might be worth having ago at reversing the bay platforms on the left hand station, so that the operation is more end to end, as especially with the MPD, LE movements will be directly conflicting with traffic heading the opposite way by needing to reverse in a through platform if heading from the fiddle yard, whereas if the bays were switched on the right hand side of the station, locomotives could reverse here and travel into the MPD, as well as being able to run trains from the terminus to the other station straight into one of the bays, you may find that you can fit the MPD in easier that way too.

• 2 weeks later...

Major rehash, as you can see.

The only way I can get this to fit the other way around is to move away from a Leamington Spa style layout, I cannot get the geometry otherwise.

I have changed the main station now to have a single through/freight line.

Operation can now run end to end, and shunt from the TMD while this is happening, after much amendment.

The yard maybe a Voyager or similar maintainance shed, and the other yard for 150's and locos' maybe.

The platforms will be a bit longer in reality to cater for eight carriage trains.

post-5815-12615819484213_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I seem to be having problems with Xtrak Cad again not writing the bit map file as it seems to fail, very strange. :(

I have re-hashed again as there were niggling points with the previous plan(s).......will it ever end.

I think I have it finally! :lol:

Shame I cannot show you at the moment, but will try to get it uploaded soon.

Here is a question for you though, with 21 degree curves using Streamline Peco with standard spacing should I be assured a clearance?

I am concerned the hidden storage yard may have the odd side swipe.

I have been trying to upload the latest version of Leighton Spa, but between the site playing up and my XtrakCad not saving the Bitmap I am not having much luck! :angry:

It keeps failing even though I have reduced the file sizes(DPI) to below previous saved files....very weird.

I will keep trying though, I even read the help files in desperation. :D

Anybody have some bright ideas?

Finally, and for no explained reason, and with no change of settings my XtrakCad has saved the bitmap!!!!!!!

This is I think(hopefully) the final version, and work shall commence forthwith. :icon_clap:

Comments for any improvements are still gratefully received.

post-5815-12635511660386_thumb.jpg

The only parts that may not be included are the double slips allowing direct access to the TMD from the Terminus station, as they duplicate the main access, and passing loop. However, they do aid movements, so who knows. :unsure:

The idea for end to end operations is for a train from Stratford-Upon-Loft to go to Leighton Spa, via the storage roads, and then into the TMD for fuelling etc, which in effect can be used to turn the train around and send it into any of the other platforms for work on the up line.

Hope you like it, as building needs to commence as my son keeps saying he wants to go and play trains.........

If you are wondering what the Terminus Branch line is for, well it allows operationns from the terminus to the up platform at Leighton Spa(against the flow into the platform). It is actually there for a future development of a raised section round the back......which is on a another plan, which can wait for the momment as I have not fully thought it out. :icon_lol:

Thanks for all your encouragement, keep the wise words comming.

Regards,

DM.

Archived