Leighton Spa Mk2 (in fact)

Dmouseair

This is the version I am going to use, after seeing layouts at the L & W MRS show at Stoneleigh at the weekend.

Oulton Park for me was the best, with a great crowd around it, and nearly my modelling era too.

The owner was very helpfull and gave me some good tips, I even came back with my son the next day to get another fix. :P

I was never really happy about going into single track at Stratford-Over-Hatch, so have gone for the double option, which flows better I think. I will model it as if the track continues through the wall.....

I raided Homebase the other day and stocked up on supplies, and with a pending points order here I come! B)

post-5815-12639797281429_thumb.jpg

This gives you an idea what the TMD is based on.

Winson Green, Birmingham.

post-5815-12640031431287_thumb.jpg

Points ordered today, thankfully I have items left over from the previous escapade, still costing a fortune though - piggy bank time I think.

I am concerned about overhangs from long stock, HTA's etc in the storage yard. I have tried to use 21" radius as a minimum, but on reasearching further possibly 24" is the tightest, what do you think?

I might have to have a no parking on the curve rule.......:P

What track buses do people recommend, for 16' x 12' on a DCC circuit?

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the wiring planning stage of the layout.

I intend to use a power bus to supply DCC to the Peco 100 Streamline track, but I am still deliberating the best method of doing it after much research on various forums.

I have insulfrog points and the standard double slips from Peco, and I am not so sure the best way to wire up this little beauty.

1. Do I need to put insulated rail joiners in?

2. Leave them out as it does not matter on my layout, with insulfrog points?

Suggestions on a postcard please!

post-5815-1265727350467_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Track laying is about to commence, with a slightly ammended layout (again - it costs nothing to plan :D), and I intend to stick the A4 printed sheets to the plywood as a template.

The track spacings were altered slightly when I realised that the Bachmann buildings used what is seems to be Settrack widths, as opposed to streamline which I am using - easy trap I think! :blink:

For those of you who have stuck paper to ply, have you any tips? I intend to use wall paper paste, or border glue.

Are there any issues later on for ballasting, and the PVA not sticking etc, unlikely I would have thought?

New Layout AT.xtc

If anyone can see any glaring errors please say so now! :P

post-5815-126953599659_thumb.jpg

The big black square is for the new Bachmann Four Road Shed when it comes out, and the smaller wagon yard is the Bachmann Modern Shed and Wash Rig.

The siding near the bottom junction is a headshunt to allow Cl 220's etc to be shunted without going onto the mainline.

• 3 weeks later...

Work has started in the laying of the trackplan to the ply baseboard.

I am having a few issues as I predicted.....:lol:

I tried initally the old spray PVA mix trick, glogging it up in a few squeazes....which then was adapted to the brush and washing up bowl plan - which was more successfull.

Can anyone suggest a better method of sticking paper to ply without the wrinkled wallpaper look - which although traditional when I hang wallpaper is not desirable due to track laying and accuracy issues in the future. :P

It appears to dry out wrinkled unfortunately, much annoying as I tried to smooth out the dammed things.

There must be a black art, or do I need to hire a decorator? :D

Pic supplied for a good laugh......

post-5815-127093017923_thumb.jpg

If you are wondering why the track stops abruptly,this is due to the track initially been shown as hidden, which I discovered makes it tricky to lay when it's hard to see.

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...

Well track laying has started, this picture showing the initial laying prior to me adding Woodland Scenics Track Bed underneath for sound proofing. I will not be using this for the TMD/yards etc. but for the mainline and loops.

Initially I pinned the foam down and track pinned the track so it won't be going anywhere. I have now decided to buy some foam glue and order the 24' roll so watch out here I come!

I have to remove a section of A4 sheets at a time as I progress, so work is done in blocks allowing pins/glue to fix direct to the board without paper being in the way.

I opted in the end to use masking tape to hold the plan together, which also comes off nicely when I removed A4 sheets as I go along.

I need to move in blocks for alignment purposes.

post-5815-12727462516_thumb.jpg

Regards,

DM.

Looking good, will be watching with interest as i'm also close to starting a large loft layout but not done any work in 00 in over 10 years!

Just a thought about the sticking paper down side of it all; would it not be less wrinkly and easier to remove for track laying if you held it down with drawing pins or masking tape rather than glue?

The original idea was to PVA glue the plan to the board, but that was changed and the paper lifted off after the wrinkles set in, and even Oil of Ulay would not cut it! :P

I have since relaid the whole plan with carefull butting up of the A4 sheets and using masking tape to hold it all together, which enabled the plan to go down quickly, and allowed for readjustment of errors.

The problem I have now, is what I thought whould happen in the first place.

When laying the foam trackbed I have to lift the A4 sheets as I go to allow pinning/glueing, which is not an issue on straights as I can align the track across the gaps. Curves however are an other issue, as I need to make sure the radius is correct so no side swipes occur!!!

I need to come up with a quick fix to show centrelines, without a major remarking of the boards having to occur....any suggestions?

post-5815-127290769009_thumb.jpg

Sorry can't help around the track laying, but enjoying seeing the progress on a Leamington inspired layout. It already looks mightly impressive. One day I will get started on something influenced by Kenilworth.

If anyone wants to come over and help me build it they are more than welcome......:P

I love doing the research and problem solving as much if more than the building. Weathering and scenics apart from pre-purchased stuff will be for the little chap when he is old enough, and the wife has offered to pitch in too!

I am no artist unfortunately, and very soon I will find out if I am any good with electrics as point motors and eventual computer control gets sorted........:blink:

Once again if you are passing Leamington feel free to come and solder a dropper or two!

Regards,

DM.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

A little pictoral update for you all.

post-5815-12778157893_thumb.jpg

post-5815-127781579276_thumb.jpg

post-5815-127781579531_thumb.jpg

post-5815-127781579831_thumb.jpg

post-5815-127781580125_thumb.jpg

post-5815-127781580837_thumb.jpg

post-5815-127781581062_thumb.jpg

1. Have been busy laying track, but have run short for the moment of a few bits of flexi to finish off.

2. The soldering iron has been out with most joins being soldered, I got carried away unfortunately - and this may cause me a few problems later on. :)

3. Track testing has gone on a pace with most of the stock list creaping out of the boxes....... :)

4. 3 way Peco points are causing me a bit of grief, as one of the two next to the boiler causes derailments as you enter the two main lines. One of the blades just does not appear to be sitting flush enough, causing class 47/57's to ride the blade and de-rail. :( All the others are fine......######!

5. I have opted to remove all the foam underlay due to cost and not enough sound reducing qualities for the expenditure required.

6. I am currently running DC and DCC, as cost and practical difficulties of decoder fitting my large DMU/EMU fleet occur. The DCC fleet are stabled at Stratford-Over-Hatch, platform one & two!

If you know anyone who can fit Express lighting kits, decoders, and also do a bit of quality weathering all as one package please drop me a PM!

Regards,

DM.

Very impressive mate, very impressive indeed. Love the 67's Voyagers and Mini Tyseley TMD smile.gif .

One question though how did you do the stick down track plan, I could really do with using that program to plan my layout, saves me cutting and sticking 36ft of A4 paper together and drawing round PECO points and track!.

Cheers.

Northants PC - Marc.

Looks very good, wish I had that amount of space.

I can see you have what looks like an immersion tank in the corner with track in front of it plus the gas boiler above it, have you considered how that might be removed should you have a problem.

If the baseboard & track is not designed to come out easily to allow maintenance you can be sure the gods of chance and chaos will pay a visit and wreak havoc on your excellent railway.

Very impressive mate, very impressive indeed. Love the 67's Voyagers and Mini Tyseley TMD smile.gif .

One question though how did you do the stick down track plan, I could really do with using that program to plan my layout, saves me cutting and sticking 36ft of A4 paper together and drawing round PECO points and track!.

Cheers.

Northants PC - Marc.

I used the freeware program XtrakCad which you can Google and find pretty easily. I found it great fun to use, once you get your head around it. There seems to be plenty of instructions about online.

In the end I printed it out on white A4, in draft to save some ink and layed them onto the board without sticking them down. I just stopped them moving by using masking tape on the joins and being very carefull on alignments as you go.

I pinned the track down with Peco track pins and if you are carefull the paper can be removed and pulled around the pins ripping it as you go. I was originally going to stick it down, but as my earlier posts reveal it was not that successfull.

I started a thread http://www.rmweb.co....wood-baseboard/ this may help you.

Fair point about the boiler room for the Titanic!!!!

Thanks all for your kind and sage words as usual.

Regards,

DM.

Hi All,

I have added the current plan that I am working to, but since I am starting to have problems with the Peco 3 way points I am considering pulling them out and using a double slip instead.

post-5815-127793027796_thumb.jpg

Bolier Junction will never be the same again! Shame really as I quite liked it.

post-5815-127793008314_thumb.jpg

I think some of the problem is the point is sitting on a board join, which isnt quite level. How that is affecting the springyness of the point blade I am not so sure, but a couple of the loco's don't like it. :(

I will try and attach a You Tube clip of a test run showing the problem.

Have fun.

Regards,

DM.

Hi All,

I have attacked the suspect point with a pair of pliers and bent the offending blade a little more vertical,which seems to have fixed the fault for the time being. I have also packed under the point slightly which should prevent so much twisting which didn't help.

I have had to clean the inside of the point blades today to continue power transfer around the sidings, the IPA removing a lot of build up - amazing really considering the little use this section has had in comparison to the main line. I will of course progressively add droppers when I get to that stage of things, but it just shows you why it's best to do it.

Hopefully the junction rebuild will not be required. :rolleyes:

Regards,

DM.

• 3 weeks later...

This is driving me nuts!!!!! Most of the trains especially with the smaller wheels DMU's etc have no problems with the Peco 3 way points, but recently my 67's decided they would not play either. :(

I decided to replace the point with a spare one I had to hand, but the dreaded soldered joints came back to haunt me as predicted. I ended up damaging two other points in the end beyond repair in the removal process.

Therefore I have elected to go with the other plan including a double slip which I have also spare (unfortunately I will require some more LH/RH mediums), and on closer inspection this could actually flow better for traffic coming out of the TMD's.

post-5815-127965957484_thumb.jpg

New Layout AW.xtc

Have a look and see if you have a better idea, that can be done in the same space?

I was also thinking about having a form of industry on the space by Leighton Spa, that would enable a bit of shunting or interest whilst watching other trains go around - maybe a container terminal like the one in Brum run by Freightliner? Then little fella could drive the crane along too!! B)

This of course may require a slight width extension, but not much as there is actually a fair amount of room left over.

I am on the planning stage for platform building too, thinking about Peco sides, or some cladding on wood - any advice?

Regards,

DM.

This is driving me nuts!!!!! Most of the trains especially with the smaller wheels DMU's etc have no problems with the Peco 3 way points, but recently my 67's decided they would not play either. sad.gif

I decided to replace the point with a spare one I had to hand, but the dreaded soldered joints came back to haunt me as predicted. I ended up damaging two other points in the end beyond repair in the removal process.

Therefore I have elected to go with the other plan including a double slip which I have also spare (unfortunately I will require some more LH/RH mediums), and on closer inspection this could actually flow better for traffic coming out of the TMD's.

post-5815-127965957484_thumb.jpg

New Layout AW.xtc

Have a look and see if you have a better idea, that can be done in the same space?

I was also thinking about having a form of industry on the space by Leighton Spa, that would enable a bit of shunting or interest whilst watching other trains go around - maybe a container terminal like the one in Brum run by Freightliner? Then little fella could drive the crane along too!! cool.gif

This of course may require a slight width extension, but not much as there is actually a fair amount of room left over.

I am on the planning stage for platform building too, thinking about Peco sides, or some cladding on wood - any advice?

Regards,

DM.

That’s a real pain on the points.

The Freightliner terminal sounds a good idea with lots of playability. Would something that big obscure the station? Maybe do something with some of those impressive rakes of wagons? A steel terminal or coal loader?

I don’t know if there is much in the way of rail served industry around Leamington these days. Your rolling stock looks to be on the modern side, but maybe something around industries from the past. There was the Ford foundry which could imagine generating van traffic? Cement was/is a big industry with the works at Rugby, Southam and Bishop’s Itchington.

If it’s making it interesting for your son, then could do something fun with the Railroad car loader or such.

The link below has stuff on traffic from the past:

http://www.derbysulz...leamington.html

That’s a real pain on the points.

The Freightliner terminal sounds a good idea with lots of playability. Would something that big obscure the station? Maybe do something with some of those impressive rakes of wagons? A steel terminal or coal loader?

I don’t know if there is much in the way of rail served industry around Leamington these days. Your rolling stock looks to be on the modern side, but maybe something around industries from the past. There was the Ford foundry which could imagine generating van traffic? Cement was/is a big industry with the works at Rugby, Southam and Bishop’s Itchington.

If it’s making it interesting for your son, then could do something fun with the Railroad car loader or such.

The link below has stuff on traffic from the past:

http://www.derbysulz...leamington.html

Hi,

Good point, forgive the pun - about the crane. I just fancied having an excuse for running an intermodal rake with maybe the new stock that is now available.

Cheers for the link very informative, I shall invesigate further on that.

I have no idea how to incorporate steel or coal loading in this plan, as not that sure where to look for tips. I would imagine though I would not have enough space, and have the same problem with chutes as with cranes? I am tempted however to somehow add a raised level somewhere, somehow, which may help.

Maybe I should just use the space for scenery and not clutter the space up more - but it is so tempting. I could of course use it for more storage? :P

Regards,

DM.

• 4 weeks later...

The re-worked "Boiler Junction", much better as it happens. The exit from the TMD's onto the down line flows much smoother now, and equally the entry is easier with the double slip.

I am having a platform nightmare now as not sure of the best way forward, currently looking at Peco sides possibly onto wood. The Hornby platforms seem okay but not sure how to make them sufficiently wide for main buildings etc. You would of thought they would make wide sections for their buildings. Equally why don't Bachmann make platforms for their stuff?

post-5815-128216470509_thumb.jpg

post-5815-128216475078_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This is all coming together very well and a big leap forward since the last time I found this link and had a look.

Looking forward to seeing trains / locos on all that fine track.

Did you get the Bachmann 4 road shed - don't see it - perhaps it is not out yet.

Your question about platforms....... if I was starting BWYF again - I would use Scalescenes edges and surfacing. That way You can customise lengths and widths perfectly. I used MDF bases and Metcalfe papers - which was OK but not as customisable (made that one up I think) as Scalescenes.

Thanks for sharing

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

Archived