Leighton Spa Mk2 (in fact)

Dmouseair

Hi All,

Just a quick update to show I have not given up, ripped it up and got fed up with the lot! Even though it has been tempting on occasion. ;)

The latest is all the track is down, and running in continues apace with various stock.

I have been having fun with odd bits of track with trains stalling in the same place everytime, then I try a different train and it runs with no problem! It tends to be the old type Bachmann Cl66/Cl 57's with the two out of three axle power feeds. I have taken the bogie base plates off and given everything a good clean and it seems a bit better with the pick-up's being bent out a bit more against the wheels as well.

Then today one of my Cl37's kept on stopping in a place that has never caused problems, then starts again without a push - weird! :angry:

I am wondering if there are voltage drops occuring, as yet I have not fitted my track bus etc. It does seem weird that the faults are fairly consistant, but a different train has faults elsewhere?

All the track is kept clean, wheels are cleaned regularly and even the faces on the point blades get an odd clean.

I have included the latest track plan, with the added sidings for van/container unloading.

post-5815-0-77383700-1298425016_thumb.jpg

I am debating how to wire up the track for computer control of storage loops and points etc using the Lenz system for block managment and signals. This will probably remain fairly simple as I have not fitted point motors below the ply-wood before soldering the track together. :bomb_mini:

I will likely use side mounted motors in the hidden storage yards where access will be limited when scenary is added.

I have also discovered that if baseboard joins are not perfectly level, it causes all sort of random problems with points that sit on these joins. Problem is wood has a nasty habit of moving as we all know, with temperature and humdity.

Well my Son is pestering me to get on with the scenary so I will have to bite the bullet and get some platforms built. :D

Have fun.

Hi All,

Just a quick pic to show the engine shed and carriage siding layout. I am playing about with shed positioning and fuel roads, plus still waiting for the four road shed to arrive to see the best final solution.

The current plan is for the fuel road to have a long shed on it as per the photo up to where the points are and become DMU TMD, and the short siding to have fuel points next to that and the shed road. The other two long sidings, one of which gives access to the fuel tank road will be for stabling Network Rail stock which I love! :wub: Currently stabling the Cl153, with the 60's now parked in the shed ready for some deep attention.

Currently the other TMD for loco's nearer to the entrance of the yards is provided by an old Hornby diesel maintainance shed, which will also have it's own fuel point and cripple siding.

post-5815-0-74690700-1298429638_thumb.jpg

Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have recently bought a Trix HO wheel cleaner amongst other thinks, like loads of Lenz Silver chips to try and finish off chipping the fleet.

This has highlighted where the fault is with my stalling loco's on points.

It appears that two of my Bachmann loco's have no power pick-up from one of their bogies. I sit one end on the wheel cleaner and both bogies drive ok, but swap them over and ziltch! Loco's are 57301 Virgin "Scott Tracey", and a renumbered 57003 (Freightliner).

They both have pickups to the offending bogies, but I assume a wire is adrift somewhere? Very annoying :angry:

I have also suffered the "sizzling circuits" problem with one of my Lenz chips going up in smoke from the Hornby Class 67 " Rapid". This has been rectified now, thanks to a thread on this very subject on the forum.

Well test running is nearly complete, with the odd glitch being ironed out, but I would appreciate any final suggestions on the track plan to assist in a prototypical operation as much as possible.

The bay siding on the furthest left of the board is going to be used for VDA/VGA unloading and maybe at some point mail trains. I was thinking I maybe need a head shunt to park a loco to release the incoming engine.

I also have started to use one or both of the sidings next to the TMD as a reception road to enable the 08 shunter to pull the VGA/VDA's back around the other side to the freight siding for unloading. Bit of a pain as it means I cant store things in the TMD sidings and shunt at the same time, but I do not have the room to fit in a dedicated headshunt for trains arriving from the down anti-clockwise main line.

Enjoy!

Hi

I've only just stumbled across your thread and layout, and it looks excellent - a great use of all the space - could you not turn the hot water cylinder into some kind of industrial plant?

You also have a good range of rolling stock to fill it up.

Keep up the good work,

Phil

• 5 months later...

Well progress has been slow to say the least for various reasons. I have the concrete platform sides from Peco and Plasticard for the surfaces ready to roll, but until the final wiring and ply-wood scenery backdrops are in place I am putting them on hold.

I am looking to put the new station layout from Bachmann (Great Central Railway) next to the water tank, and have widened the tracks to make an island platform. When the backdrop is in place the steps going up to the road will make a good scenic break making the track appear to go into bridge/tunnel and continue, where as of course there is actually a wall!

I might buy the wiring kit from Express Models for the under floor "stuff" just to make sure the wires are suitable, and I like the no soldering option. :)

I have not added a new track plan as yet showing the new headshunt which had to be fitted in between the main line and the track into the carriage shed/engine shed/wash road, this at least allows trains to be turned around more easily.

Having just bought the new 4 VEP and 2 EPB I am having also to keep a low profile at home!!! I would like to add third rail, but probably on a raised section some time to keep it simple - just a question of where to put it??????

Have fun.

What's the life span of your hot water tank? I ask 'cos over here they are only guarenteed for ten years (under mains pressure, steel tank) not like the old days when copper laster forever. Only I can see a plumber approaching that and saying: "Wtf?"

Best, Pete.

Hi Guys,

Has anyone else had problems with Hornby coaches such as the Wrexham and Shropshire set/EWS Management Train to negotiate PECO points.

It seems the wheel sets are smaller than other units and tend to "drop" in the point slightly. Any thoughts in what to change them to, or is it just me? :no:

The coaches also seem to sound noisier than other manufacturers for some reason.

Have fun.

• 3 months later...

Late reply, but all of my Hornby mk3s/mk2s have had their wheels replaced with Bachmann disc-braked wagon wheels - the coach wheels looked too large for me, but the result is much smoother running. Either the more expensive brass or the standard (around £4 for 10 axles oppose to £8.)

• 2 weeks later...

1.Thanks James90012, I'll have a nose.

2. Does anyone know a way to prevent derailments on Peco 100 3 way points, when trains go down the left road and catch the second blade? Some stock catches ie. Hornby coaches, yet a Voyager, trucks etc. have no problems?

3. I'll be having a word with my chippy mate to find a means of creating a removable section, to get to the tank and boiler - that is work in progress, one of the reason the scenery has not been started.

4. I'm struggling with the best layout for buildings. I have the new Hornby Traction sheds x3, but unfortunately not quite long enough to house a Wrexham and Shropshire rake. Below them I plan to have the fuelling point, where the cross over points are. Where the carriage sidings are I put Bachmann carriage sheds, but they just don't look quite right for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...

A few pictures for you.

Suggestions for the best way to layout the buildings, as things just do not look right?

I have reduced the length of the freight trains, to enable an engine to also fit into each siding.

The problem is the Network Rail, Wrexham and Shropshire trains are too long to fit into the TMD sheds, so I am thinking of putting them after a little adjustment where the two long sidings are in the "carriage sidings".

post-5815-0-97271400-1329172256_thumb.jpg

The Bachmann sheds just don't seem to go in the current position and have been "lifted" and the 3rd rail stock currently returned to their boxes for the time being.

post-5815-0-00179700-1329172288_thumb.jpg

I am not sure whether it should be some form of marshalling yard, or mix of sidings and sheds. The only way I can fit the long rakes in is to add another Hornby shed, and have two storage roads either side, with maybe walkways for carriage servicing?????

The other problem is where does the refuelling road go now!!!!

I have also added pictures of of the loco TMD with the building layout of the week...

post-5815-0-83792400-1329173061_thumb.jpg

post-5815-0-10924500-1329173091_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Inspiration often comes after absence!!!

The TMD will move over towards the refueling road by one track, giving enough room to fit in another shed (making four) therefore now enabling all the trains to be covered without sticking out the end. :sungum:

This now allows a siding behind the sheds, plus the head shunt for the oil tank road. This I think looks like it's going to look good - problem solved.

A few inches of extension to a couple of the sidings will also help movements a bit.

Where the carriage sheds were will be freight sidings after all, with maybe one or a couple of sidings (which are a bit shorter) that are next to the refueling roads used for DMU stabling - they maybe covered with the carriage sheds.

The carriage sheds may also make a return yet.

Onwards!!!

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

I have been playing and not adding updates I know...

We have a few more platforms and a slightly changed layout to accommodate the Bachmann platforms, but otherwise all is well.

Electrics seem the bane of my life. I think I need advice from a DCC expert and someone to come round and sort this all out!!!!

If you live near Leamington and need beer PM!!!!

Is it me, or is it hard now to add photos?

Cya...

Archived